Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Checking Duke's real estate in Maui

could not make this adventure without checking in with all this history. they wouldn't turn the lights on but he let me in when I told him I was a Duke fan. He grinned and said, "well! a Duke fan doesn't need to ask, they own the joint!

pics in the next post.
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

here are some shots.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

a few more. so much history here.

Dunleavy was spectacular in Maui in 2001... Nice pictures.

It's appropriate that the championship trophy is named after a guy whose last name is DUKE. (View the 95.6 kb image)
    Last edited by subzero02; 05-04-2015 at 09:35 PM.

Speaking of Maui, it has been a while since we played there. Anyone have a clue when we will return?

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    here are some shots.
    This was really cool to see. Thanks for sharing!

forgot this one.

That was fun. Take a look at the picture of the MVP's and check out 1985!

The Maui Tournament is my favorite.

I'm not sure why, but the Maui invitational has long been my favorite holiday/start-up tournament. It's just such a unique blend of atmosphere. It's such a rare chance for elite talent and coaches to play under one roof in what is equivalent to a high school gym, while most of the coaches are wearing Hawaiian shirts. Love that.

I think seeing the shots of the young men playing at the beach and having fun keeps me young too. It's always good to see them smiling and enjoying themselves.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Timely

2011-12 Maui Invitational Champions

Quinn was a freshman, and was just getting his freshman legs, with intermittent minutes, but had plays where it looked like we had a playmaking guard in development. (as I remember it).

There was a camera shot while walking off the court to the locker room,he had his arm around "K"'s waist, as we now know, a preview of things to come.

Two highlights, TT's two late game threes from the corner and a win, and Ryan's Tournament MVP.

A look back..
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...nal/51378160/1

http://www.dukechronicle.com/blogs/b...t#.VUjV-Gt5mSN

Great pictures, great memories, of Duke's Maui Real Estate.

Thanks
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Speaking of Maui, it has been a while since we played there. Anyone have a clue when we will return?
    NCAA bylaw 17.3.5.1.1 prohibits teams from playing in the same in-season tournament more than once every four years and prohibits more than one team from a conference from participating. We last played there in 2011, so we would be eligible (on a years basis) to play there next season. We aren't in the 2015 field, of course - the ACC representative is Wake. Also, we are not in the 2016 field either (UNC will be there from the ACC) - http://mauiinvitational.com/news/2014/11/24/GEN_1124145716.aspx?path=general

So, November 2017 at the earliest.

The Maui Invitational should be on every Duke fan's bucket list. We went in 2001, and it is by far our best family vacation to date. There is so much to do and see that the basketball almost becomes an afterthought

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    NCAA bylaw 17.3.5.1.1 prohibits teams from playing in the same in-season tournament more than once every four years and prohibits more than one team from a conference from participating. We last played there in 2011, so we would be eligible (on a years basis) to play there next season. We aren't in the 2015 field, of course - the ACC representative is Wake. Also, we are not in the 2016 field either (UNC will be there from the ACC) - http://mauiinvitational.com/news/201...x?path=general

So, November 2017 at the earliest.
    Right, it is just weird that we aren't in next year or the year after, considering we seemed to play in it every 4-5 years. We are already looking at a 6-year span at minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    The Maui Invitational should be on every Duke fan's bucket list. We went in 2001, and it is by far our best family vacation to date. There is so much to do and see that the basketball almost becomes an afterthought
    We went in 2011. It was great. We stayed at the team hotel and had a lot of interaction with the kids and coaches. I would recommend it to anyone. As an added bonus, I was able to check Duke v Kansas off my bucket list. Only Duke v Kentucky remains.

Right, it is just weird that we aren't in next year or the year after, considering we seemed to play in it every 4-5 years. We are already looking at a 6-year span at minimum.
    I read somewhere last year (I can't find the article now) that the Maui Invite is actually having a hard time bringing in teams now that all the island tournaments on the east coast are around. Apparently, teams would prefer Atlantis or Puerto Rico to flying across the country and halfway across the pacific to play 3 games.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I read somewhere last year (I can't find the article now) that the Maui Invite is actually having a hard time bringing in teams now that all the island tournaments on the east coast are around. Apparently, teams would prefer Atlantis or Puerto Rico to flying across the country and halfway across the pacific to play 3 games.
    Interesting. I hadn't thought about that, but now that you say it it makes sense. Maui is great, but it is indeed a LONG trip from NC for a 3-4 day weekend.

If another trip to the Maui Invitational is in the works anytime in the next 3-4 years, the date is already known to team officials. Duke in the past has advised parents of recruits several years in advance that the trip will take place so that they can plan (and in some cases, save) so they can attend. Duke, of course can not underwrite the costs for parents.

The Invitational is truly a unique experience. As other posters have indicated, it provides unparalleled proximity to the game, and to the players, coaches and players' parents. We went in 2001 and 2011 and I am quite willing to go again. Below is a photo of Coach K and Mickie hugging after the 2011 win over Kansas (thanks to Thornton's 3 at the game's end).
    It is a long, tough trip if done in 3-4 days, so avoid the Duke flight and combine Maui with a few days on one of the other islands if you can spare the time.

IMG_0069.jpg

Went in 2008 for UNC (wife's trip) and in 2011 to see Duke.

It is absolutely the BEST sporting event I have ever attended in person.

I am anxious to go to the Battle for Atlantis when Duke (or UNC) plays in it and I can budget the time and money again... I think it will be very similar to the Maui without the jet lag and hopefully a little less costly!

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post

I am anxious to go to the Battle for Atlantis when Duke (or UNC) plays in it and I can budget the time and money again... I think it will be very similar to the Maui without the jet lag and hopefully a little less costly!
    Well, those are two things you don't often see in the same sentence, "ATLANTIS" and "LESS COSTLY..."

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post

We're likely going to the next Atlantis in which Duke plays. Our honeymoon was spent at the Club Med on the adjacent property. Atlantis has since bought and bulldozed the property in favor of a more profitable building.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Well, those are two things you don't often see in the same sentence, "ATLANTIS" and "LESS COSTLY..."
    We stayed there once. I didn't think Atlantis and less costly ever appeared in the same sentence.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.