Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I remember the old days when there basically was no recruiting information available to the teeming masses (me) and I'd wait anxiously for Street & Smith to come out because it would give some indication of who the high school studs were and where they might end up."

Let me go back even further. I remember the old days when we fans waited to see the freshmen teams play before thinking about evaluating potential talent. Occasionally the rare Lew Alcindor or Tom McMillen would garner front-page attention in high school but it was quite rare. Even David Thompson, the last of the great freshman-team-stars-was largely under the radar.

Showing my age.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I remember the old days when there basically was no recruiting information available to the teeming masses (me) and I'd wait anxiously for Street & Smith to come out because it would give some indication of who the high school studs were and where they might end up."

Let me go back even further. I remember the old days when we fans waited to see the freshmen teams play before thinking about evaluating potential talent. Occasionally the rare Lew Alcindor or Tom McMillen would garner front-page attention in high school but it was quite rare. Even David Thompson, the last of the great freshman-team-stars-was largely under the radar.

Showing my age.
    DAMN but you're old.

You mean, actually watch them play first? Freshman teams?

Actually, I watched Denton, Devinzio (sp?), Evans and Katherman play on Duke's freshman team . . . so that dates me.

Quote Originally Posted by dw0827 View Post
    DAMN but you're old.

You mean, actually watch them play first? Freshman teams?

Actually, I watched Denton, Devinzio (sp?), Evans and Katherman play on Duke's freshman team . . . so that dates me.
    Heck, I watched Evans play football for Durham High.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Heck, I watched Evans play football for Durham High.
    First team Parade high school all-American quarterback in 1966, IIRC. That class was supposed to lead us back to the promised land (and don't forget the 5th scholarship player, Steve Litz). What happened to them? Bucky, I guess.

I can remember back when the only word you would get, on a national level, concerning a high school player, might be in the very back ofSports Illustrated with a one column inch write-up. God, I'm old.

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    First team Parade high school all-American quarterback in 1966, IIRC. That class was supposed to lead us back to the promised land (and don't forget the 5th scholarship player, Steve Litz). What happened to them? Bucky, I guess.
    Vic Bubas was the coach during that period. As Freshmen they were undefeated (coached by Bucky).

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Vic Bubas was the coach during that period. As Freshmen they were undefeated (coached by Bucky).
    Bubas had them for one varsity season, Bucky for two. I believe Devenzio, for one, had his best season under Bubas as a sophomore. Bucky wasn't their freshman coach; he was the head coach at West Virginia that season. Not sure who the freshman coach was; it was Hubie Brown the following season. I'm pretty sure Devenzio et al didn't go undefeated as freshmen. You're probably thinking of the '69-'70 team with Melchionni, Shaw, etc.