Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Game of Thrones 2015 (TV Spoilers, No Book Spoliers!)

So...did anybody watch? Of course you all did.

They had lots of material to get through, but I was still a little disappointed that Arya was not in the premier. Looks from the scenes for next week that she'll be in episode 2, so that's nice.

I liked the promise of Tyrion going to meet Danaerys. Those two would make a formidable alliance. I also liked Danaerys finding she may not be in control of her dragons anymore. As they grow, they become such a trump card, that she might become too invincible with them fully under her control at this point. I suspect that they will become a necessary weapon, however, when ultimately winter and the White Walkers arrive in full force.

The episode had to jump around to begin several plot lines, so I didn't mind the relative lack of action.

Thoughts?

I definitely watched and as always when the episode ended I yelled NOOOOOOOOO. Now I remember why I prefer watching a whole season in one sitting.

My one question is, how long will it take for our favorite imp to reach Mereen? We should start a poll on just how many episodes his journey takes.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I definitely watched and as always when the episode ended I yelled NOOOOOOOOO. Now I remember why I prefer watching a whole season in one sitting.
    Not sure if you've read the books, but imagine it for those of us who have to wait 6 years between each book!

I watched and enjoyed it. Also the one thing I took away from the episode is that John Snow is straight thug and he does as he pleases within the confines of the Nights Watch of course. However, I see his allegiance to the watch slowly fading and him becoming a bigger player in the fate of the North. I never read the books so I don't know how the series actually goes, but I know the show will start to deviate more and more from the books in the coming seasons. Its looking like the show may even end before the books do. But I guess we will have to wait and see.

Stannis is a ruler I can get behind. At first I didn't like him very much and thought he was a bit too intense. However, given what he has to rule over I believe his style is the only kind of leadership that would take.

I can't wait for "The Wars to Come"

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post

My one question is, how long will it take for our favorite imp to reach Mereen? We should start a poll on just how many episodes his journey takes.
    I'm putting the over-under at 2.5 episodes to reach Mereen, but that's with the caveat that his meeting with Danaerys doesn't go well - she will be too suspicious of his Lannister name and will suspect treachery, especially with him being introduced by Varys, who worked for Robert Baratheon and put Jorah Mormont in her court to spy on her. Those two have an uphill climb to gain the trust of a woman who has learned very harsh lessons about being too trusting. They'll be lucky if they don't end up in the crypt with the (hungry) dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I'm putting the over-under at 2.5 episodes to reach Mereen, but that's with the caveat that his meeting with Danaerys doesn't go well - she will be too suspicious of his Lannister name and will suspect treachery, especially with him being introduced by Varys, who worked for Robert Baratheon and put Jorah Mormont in her court to spy on her. Those two have an uphill climb to gain the trust of a woman who has learned very harsh lessons about being too trusting. They'll be lucky if they don't end up in the crypt with the (hungry) dragons.
    Those (hungry) dragons won't be in a crypt for 2.5 episodes... Let slip the dragons of war!

-jk

I don't know. Seems to me Varys is smart enough not to just show up unannounced and uninvited. Didn't he tell Tyrion that he'd been working with a group of people trying to restore the Targaeryens (sp) to power? She may not trust him much after learning of Jorah's treachery, but could chalk it up to Tywin and Robert Baratheon, and it's likely she's already aware Tyrion killed Tywin so she's not going to see him as just another Lannister.

Where is Littlefinger taking Sansa, is what I want to know. I'm guessing the note he received was word that Tywin was dead and/or that Varys and Tyrion had taken off, right? Odd that he's headed back towards danger. He's not going to the Wall, is he?

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I don't know. Seems to me Varys is smart enough not to just show up unannounced and uninvited. Didn't he tell Tyrion that he'd been working with a group of people trying to restore the Targaeryens (sp) to power? She may not trust him much after learning of Jorah's treachery, but could chalk it up to Tywin and Robert Baratheon, and it's likely she's already aware Tyrion killed Tywin so she's not going to see him as just another Lannister.

Where is Littlefinger taking Sansa, is what I want to know. I'm guessing the note he received was word that Tywin was dead and/or that Varys and Tyrion had taken off, right? Odd that he's headed back towards danger. He's not going to the Wall, is he?
    Agreed about Varys being too sharp to blunder in without some assurance of being received. The show has not yet hinted that he has any such angle, but I would guess that Barristan Selmy, who, like Varys, has concluded that Danaerys is the best hope for Westeros. Barristan may be the polar opposite of Varys, but he seems smart enough to recognize what an asset Varys and his network of little birds would be. IIRC, Selmy was around long enough to see some of Tyrion's strengths as well, although, if I were Selmy, I'd question what Tyrion, deprived of his Lannister forture and outcast from the family and wanted for the murder of both Tywin and Joffrey, would have to offer Danaerys. From Selmy's point of view, Tyrion might appear to be more trouble than he's worth.

I can't imagine Littlefinger going to the Wall. He's made connections with the Dorne. I would suspect he may move in that direction with Sansa. If he shows up with the oldest living (and only known living) heir of the Starks with a promise to unite North with South and crush the Lannisters in the middle, that might appeal to the mourning family of the Red Viper.

Agreed about Varys being too sharp to blunder in without some assurance of being received. The show has not yet hinted that he has any such angle, but I would guess that Barristan Selmy, who, like Varys, has concluded that Danaerys is the best hope for Westeros. Barristan may be the polar opposite of Varys, but he seems smart enough to recognize what an asset Varys and his network of little birds would be. IIRC, Selmy was around long enough to see some of Tyrion's strengths as well, although, if I were Selmy, I'd question what Tyrion, deprived of his Lannister forture and outcast from the family and wanted for the murder of both Tywin and Joffrey, would have to offer Danaerys. From Selmy's point of view, Tyrion might appear to be more trouble than he's worth.

I can't imagine Littlefinger going to the Wall. He's made connections with the Dorne. I would suspect he may move in that direction with Sansa. If he shows up with the oldest living (and only known living) heir of the Starks with a promise to unite North with South and crush the Lannisters in the middle, that might appeal to the mourning family of the Red Viper.
    I know we will see a lot of Dorne this season at some point so that could be where he is heading. I really like the Red Viper, he was so awesome in every way possible. Too bad awesomeness typically gets you killed in Westeros.

Quote Originally Posted by AIRFORCEDUKIE View Post
    I know we will see a lot of Dorne this season at some point so that could be where he is heading. I really like the Red Viper, he was so awesome in every way possible. Too bad awesomeness typically gets you killed in Westeros.
    My wife, who I generally find to be right about everything, agreed with Mal that the Wall is a good possibility for Baelish. Her rationale: if Baelish goes to the Wall he could present a tempting offer to Stannis. He can now offer the strength of the Eyrie to Stannis by his own status, however tentative his hold may be there. And he can offer rallying the North, with the only known living Stark heir at his side, behind Stannis. Getting Ned and Robb Stark's old bannermen to rally their support behind Stannis, himself, and Sansa would be too much for Bolton to survive. Baelish would have to be willing to bend the knee to Stannis, but given his history of treachery, Petyr could easily bend the knee one day and assassinate or betray Stannis another day, and he might find himself Warden of the East and the North if he can help Stannis defeat a Tywin-less Lannister clan.

Sound logic, but I still lean toward him taking Sansa south to try to present a similar alliance to Dorne.

Well who watched last nights episode. Had a lot of interesting things, and some new characters as well as the return of some beloved characters. Jamie and Bronn going to Dorne to "rescue" Myrcella should be a fun plot line I really enjoy the interaction between the two characters.

Tarly nominating John Snow for Head Master was awesome, and there should be a lot of tension at the wall in the coming episodes. Also Stannis trying to convince him to give him the North was fun for a minute, don't know if that plot line will have any more legs.

Arya at the house of black and white, Im confused by her entire plot line at this point and its becoming a bit dragged out. I like her taking on the three thieves in the market though that was cool.

Ohhh and the best part of the whole show was Drogon showing up to say hi to mommy!!! She needs to go ahead an unleash them Dragons, only because it makes the show much more exciting ohh and I freaking love Dragons. She seems to be stuck in that city and I hope they plot a way for her to get back out on the road.

Can't wait for next week.

I also worry about John now that he has been elected to the Nights Watch Head Master. He has a lot of enemies now, The Night watch themselves, perhaps Stannis since John won't deliver the North to him, The Boltons, the white walkers, the Wildlings. Hes kind of besieged on the wall at this point and its going to be tough for him to stay alive.

He has the Wildlings. The rest - well, it is GoT.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by AIRFORCEDUKIE View Post
    I also worry about John now that he has been elected to the Nights Watch Head Master. He has a lot of enemies now, The Night watch themselves, perhaps Stannis since John won't deliver the North to him, The Boltons, the white walkers, the Wildlings. Hes kind of besieged on the wall at this point and its going to be tough for him to stay alive.
    I don't think Jon has to worry about Stannis. It would be very out of character for Stannis to punish Jon for refusing to break his oath to the Nights Watch. Melisandre, on the other hand, should scare him. When she starts acting like she wants a little action from you, it's time to worry about your life expectancy.

Agreed on the other threats to him. I hadn't really thought about the Boltons worrying about Jon, as long as he's with the Watch. But Ramsey Bolton is a little meanspirited, and it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine him thinking of Jon as a potential threat.

On the whole, I think the biggest immediate threat to Jon's life probably comes from certain factions in the Nights Watch.

On the whole, I think the biggest immediate threat to Jon's life probably comes from certain factions in the Nights Watch.
    Probably right. He needs to figure out a way to tamp down the old guy/Thorne contingent quickly and assert himself, whether that be through incorporating some of them into his leadership group, beating them back, implementing some spies, or something. We'll see how much he's learned about leadership from Mance, I guess. The old Jon would be easy pickings, moping about, wondering why everyone didn't like him and recognize his authority, because that's how it's supposed to work and honor and naivete.

Agree re: Stannis. He's too practical to go punishing Jon for not breaking his oath, and he'll probably actually respect him for it. His whole idea of giving him Winterfell seems a little cart before horse, anyway. He just came to notice how much the North generally doesn't recognize a king from anywhere else, so they might not recognize his authority to give Snow the Stark name and release him from his Night's Watch vows in the first place.

The Boltons are still a threat, I think. Roose just send a couple of his best guys to go infiltrate the Night's Watch in hopes of finding the younger Stark kids and killing them along with Jon last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Probably right. He needs to figure out a way to tamp down the old guy/Thorne contingent quickly and assert himself, whether that be through incorporating some of them into his leadership group, beating them back, implementing some spies, or something. We'll see how much he's learned about leadership from Mance, I guess. The old Jon would be easy pickings, moping about, wondering why everyone didn't like him and recognize his authority, because that's how it's supposed to work and honor and naivete.

Agree re: Stannis. He's too practical to go punishing Jon for not breaking his oath, and he'll probably actually respect him for it. His whole idea of giving him Winterfell seems a little cart before horse, anyway. He just came to notice how much the North generally doesn't recognize a king from anywhere else, so they might not recognize his authority to give Snow the Stark name and release him from his Night's Watch vows in the first place.

The Boltons are still a threat, I think. Roose just send a couple of his best guys to go infiltrate the Night's Watch in hopes of finding the younger Stark kids and killing them along with Jon last season.
    Yea your last sentence is what I was referring to as far as the Bolton's go. I assume they are still heading to castle black or may already be there. They just kind of dropped that whole story line it seems but now that Jon is Lord Commander I expect they will pick it up.

Also, for Stannis he did just Burn Mance to death since he refused to bend the knee and deliver the wildlings. Its different circumstances for sure but I could see where he may come to the same conclusion. However I agree that Stannis is the least likely to try and take Jon out.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Three episodes in and I am ready for some actual action, and not just setting up storylines. And I think we're getting close.

Pretty curious about what's going to happen with the dragons. They historically accompanied the Targaryens during conquest, so it will be interesting to see how Daenerys will tame any of them. I'm also a little annoyed at how she's gone from brilliant to, well, pretty stupid regarding leadership. Granted, going from conquest to governing warrants some of this, but I'm ready to get moving here. I want a revolution.

I'm glad Sansa is finally becoming interesting. I've been fighting the urge to gnaw my hand off whenever she's been on the screen for 4 years, but I don't feel that way any more. It's a major transition for her character to turn around and willingly marry Ramsey in order to plot revenge.

I'm really, really ready for the Arya story to get going. And, no, body preparation doesn't count. Time for some wax-on, wax-off, Mr. Faceless Man sensei. Loved that Arya saved her sword. There is zero chance that her sensei doesn't know it's there.

John Snow has the only storyline that is actually advancing. So far a king has been executed, John has been elected leader, and he's quelled a potential rebellious influence with the Night's Watch and maybe even consolidated his leadership role by bringing Thorne over-- at least a little. Was kind of shocked when John executed Slynt (for disloyalty). And it was clearly a reference to his father's leadership style. (Foreshadowing?)

Obviously Stannis approved of Snow's handling of Slynt and no doubt Stannis' offer of legitimacy still stands. I'm wondering a lot where that bromance is going. I don't buy Snow leaving the Night's Watch.

Now that Tyrion has been captured by Ser Jorah, I imagine that this means that he and Varys will be brought before Daenerys in an attempt to get Jorah back in her good graces, so I'm hopeful that this storyline will start humming along soon.

You know, not much is happening with Brienne and Podrick, but for some reason I don't care. I really like this pairing of characters, even though it lacks the obvious zing of Tyrion/Varys, or Jamie/Bronn. I can't put my finger on why I enjoy these two even when they're not doing much. Anyone else with me on this?

The interactions between Cersei and Margaery are brilliant. Lena Headey is nailing it with her handling of Cersei's slowly waning influence. (Insert "Lioness in Winter" joke here). Not seeing a lot of motion on this storyline, really, but I don't care.

My guess is that next week we'll get a lot of Daenerys and the revolution, coupled with a late appearance of Tyrion, Varys, and Jorah. I expect to see a decent amount of Jamie and Bronn, which should be a good ride if nothing else, and a few other small advancements in other storylines to set us up for some real action as we approach the back half of the season.
    Last edited by alteran; 04-29-2015 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Three episodes in and I am ready for some actual action, and not just setting up storylines. And I think we're getting close.

Pretty curious about what's going to happen with the dragons. They historically accompanied the Targaryens during conquest, so it will be interesting to see how Daenerys will tame any of them. I'm also a little annoyed at how she's gone from brilliant to, well, pretty stupid regarding leadership. Granted, going from conquest to governing warrants some of this, but I'm ready to get moving here. I want a revolution.

I'm glad Sansa is finally becoming interesting. I've been fighting the urge to gnaw my hand off whenever she's been on the screen for 4 years, but I don't feel that way any more. It's a major transition for her character to turn around and willingly marry Ramsey in order to plot revenge.

I'm really, really ready for the Arya story to get going. And, no, body preparation doesn't count. Time for some wax-on, wax-off, Mr. Faceless Man sensei. Loved that Arya saved her sword. There is zero chance that her sensei doesn't know it's there.

John Snow has the only storyline that is actually advancing. So far a king has been executed, John has been elected leader, and he's quelled a potential rebellious influence with the Night's Watch and maybe even consolidated his leadership role by bringing Thorne over-- at least a little. Was kind of shocked when John executed Slynt (for disloyalty). And it was clearly a reference to his father's leadership style. (Foreshadowing?)

Obviously Stannis approved of Snow's handling of Slynt and no doubt Stannis' offer of legitimacy still stands. I'm wondering a lot where that bromance is going. I don't buy Snow leaving the Night's Watch.

Now that Tyrion has been captured by Ser Jorah, I imagine that this means that he and Varys will be brought before Daenerys in an attempt to get Jorah back in her good graces, so I'm hopeful that this storyline will start humming along soon.

You know, not much is happening with Brienne and Podrick, but for some reason I don't care. I really like this pairing of characters, even though it lacks the obvious zing of Tyrion/Varys, or Jamie/Bronn. I can't put my finger on why I enjoy these two even when they're not doing much. Anyone else with me on this?

The interactions between Cersei and Margaery are brilliant. Lena Headey is nailing it with her handling of Cersei's slowly waning influence. (Insert "Lioness in Winter" joke here). Not seeing a lot of motion on this storyline, really, but I don't care.

My guess is that next week we'll get a lot of Daenerys and the revolution, coupled with a late appearance of Tyrion, Varys, and Jorah. I expect to see a decent amount of Jamie and Bronn, which should be a good ride if nothing else, and a few other small advancements in other storylines to set us up for some real action as we approach the back half of the season.
    Man, they've COMPLETELY left the books now. I have to admit that I like it, though it surprises me that I do. I agree with you about Brienne and Podrick.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post

Not seeing the motion on Cersei's storyline???? Its one of the better ones right now. Margeary is slowly trying to drain her of everything she loves (power and her son). No way she takes it lying down so expect a battle of politics and backstabbing between the two.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Not seeing the motion on Cersei's storyline???? Its one of the better ones right now. Margeary is slowly trying to drain her of everything she loves (power and her son). No way she takes it lying down so expect a battle of politics and backstabbing between the two.
    Oh, I agree totally. Perhaps a poor choice of words. I just meant we don't see any real changes or direct plots here YET. Currently, Cersei retains all her power, and so far, Marg's actions consist of planting seeds in Tommen's mind, and passive-agressively sassing the queen regent. Easy to say that's not really action.

But you're right-- the gauntlet has been thrown. We'll be seeing major intrigue here in the coming weeks, Cersie v Marg, the Hassle in the Castle.