Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Has the Duke Hatred Tsunami finally started to fade?

With the winning of the national championship, I sense a thawing in Duke Hatred among a lot of traditional anti-Duke media sources.

I feel the change is being caused by a few things, most of which are K related:

-K's ability to win a title with one-and-done players which, I feel, is viewed somehow as K and Duke "coming down off their high horse".

-K's ability to adapt with the times, winning titles in different eras and with different kinds of teams, especially the contrast between 2010 and 2015

-5 titles for K across 12 Final Fours are legit Wooden level numbers

-K's work with Team USA over the past decade has earned him a lot of fans from former haters

-The Christian Laettner 30 for 30 examined the topic and was released as the tournament run was happening and kind of took the air out of it a little

-People liked the style of play of this team and the players - they were exciting, huge talents, and good kids

While many nice Duke articles and comments from former critics (Bill Simmons, etc.) have been posted through several threads on DBR, I offer the following audio from Jalen Rose who, over 10 minutes, starts talking about John Calipari as a backdrop to Marc Cuban's criticism of the college game, starts what seems like a critique of Duke, but ultimately winds up in a huge tribute to Coach K and the Duke program on whom he heaps the highest praise...although he does hint that K is so important that it risks falling off when he steps down.

The relevant section starts at 35 minutes in, the Duke praise really starts around 42 minutes in:
    http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantla...er?id=12657392

Fans will always hate, but the media changing their tune somewhat will also lead the charge.
    Last edited by Billy Dat; 04-12-2015 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    With the winning of the national championship, I sense a thawing in Duke Hatred among a lot of traditional anti-Duke media sources.

I feel the change is being caused by a few things, most of which are K related:

-K's ability to win a title with one-and-done players which, I feel, is viewed somehow as K and Duke "coming down off their high horse".

-K's ability to adapt with the times, winning titles in different eras and with different kinds of teams, especially the contrast between 2010 and 2015

-5 titles for K across 12 Final Fours are legit Wooden level numbers

-K's work with Team USA over the past decade has earned him a lot of fans from former haters

-The Christian Laettner 30 for 30 examined the topic and was released as the tournament run was happening and kind of took the air out of it a little

-People liked the style of play of this team and the players - they were exciting, huge talents, and good kids...

Fans will always hate, but the media changing their tune somewhat will also lead the charge.
    Yeah, seeing more favorable coverage in the NC media (long dominated by a lighter shade of blue)

Hamilton: Coach K alone on basketball throne

This from the Winston-Salem Journal (Scott Hamilton now the main columnist, a big drop-off from the retired Lenox Rawlings)
    This column was written without a helmet. One might be required by the time the last graph is read, especially if readers can figure out how to throw rocks via email.

That said, when it comes to all the things that turn a program into a dynasty, no one can eclipse Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski. His fifth national championship secures his place as the lead figurehead on coaching’s Mount Rushmore.
    And, a similar take from the Greensboro News and Record

Ed Hardin: Krzyzewski's biggest win might've come at home
    Duke is the national champion again. Let the howling begin.

That’s a tradition in college basketball. And a recurring theme. But a funny thing happened on the way to Duke’s 2015 championship. Mike Krzyzewski got the respect he deserved. And his team rewarded him...

There were Carolina fans pulling for him. There were State fans pulling for him. Granted, most people in this state were just pulling against Kentucky....

Frank McGuire begat Dean, and Dean begat Roy, while Everett Case led the way to Norm Sloan and Jimmy V, who fought and fell and gave us stories to tell.

Krzyzewski rose above them all Monday night and put Duke back atop the game in a run for the ages. It was a basketball clinic and a history lesson. And somewhere along the way, Mike Krzyzewski finally got the respect he deserved.

Not nationally, but here in North Carolina.

I think it's thawed considering the reaction by the media over Bo Ryan's post game comments. I do not recall what Gary Williams and Lute said after the '01 run but I do remember what Billy Packer said during the '01 title game and after that it became a theme to latch on to. 15 years later with no Packer, Elmore is the only analyst that goes all in with Duke gets all the calls and he doesn't have the stature that Packer did and that meme only exists in Len's terrapin bubble.

The hatred has fallen off because UK has taken over the top spotlight in CBB. Everyone cheered against UK this year. Duke is in more of a positive light because UK didnt win.

Had all the freshmen came back I think the Duke hate tsunami would have been one of the biggest we've seen.

Grayson will revive the hate. I will love him for it.

Quote Originally Posted by gocanes0506 View Post
    The hatred has fallen off because UK has taken over the top spotlight in CBB. Everyone cheered against UK this year. Duke is in more of a positive light because UK didnt win.
    I think this is part of it. But I also think the Duke program has evolved, and all the parts that go with it. Coach K hasn't lost his passion for the game, but he was totally mellowed. He is getting excited about the right times and showing positive emotion will holding back on the "negative" emotion (his reaction when Duke doesn't get a call, arguing with the refs non-stop, etc). Also, Duke is attracting players that are really difficult to "hate" (and I don't like using that word). They are good kids, kids who often come from basketball families, and often athletic. And there is a huge correlation between athleticism and hatred (and there is also a correlation between being white and being perceived as nonathletic). Lastly, and I point that I think is important, is that Duke students don't have as obnoxious a reputation as they once had. The height of Duke hatred also coincided with the height of the financial services industry. And it's a well known fact that Duke produced a lot of kids who worked on Wall Street or something similar (myself included). With the financial crash, bankers mellowing somewhat, and Duke students more interested in consulting, tech, and entrepreneurship, the hatred to Duke has certainly mellowed.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Warning: Link NSFW

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    In support of your proposition, I offer a recent post by The Onion:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/mik...ayson-a,38389/

(Note: Salty language throughout.)
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

For those of us who don't live in NC and therefore aren't subjected to the inanities of the local pale blue fan base, Duke negativity is minimal...yeah there are some in the national
    press who still harp on it, but they can easily be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I think this is part of it. But I also think the Duke program has evolved, and all the parts that go with it. Coach K hasn't lost his passion for the game, but he was totally mellowed. He is getting excited about the right times and showing positive emotion will holding back on the "negative" emotion (his reaction when Duke doesn't get a call, arguing with the refs non-stop, etc). Also, Duke is attracting players that are really difficult to "hate" (and I don't like using that word). They are good kids, kids who often come from basketball families, and often athletic. And there is a huge correlation between athleticism and hatred (and there is also a correlation between being white and being perceived as nonathletic). Lastly, and I point that I think is important, is that Duke students don't have as obnoxious a reputation as they once had. The height of Duke hatred also coincided with the height of the financial services industry. And it's a well known fact that Duke produced a lot of kids who worked on Wall Street or something similar (myself included). With the financial crash, bankers mellowing somewhat, and Duke students more interested in consulting, tech, and entrepreneurship, the hatred to Duke has certainly mellowed.
    I'm sorry to see such an excellent commentator apparently buying into the ridiculous meme that Coach K is more obnoxious or aggressive to referees than other coaches or somehow "works" them more. This meme drives me nuts. If you actually pay attention to the sideline as much as you can during a TV broadcast or attend a game in person and watch the benches, you will quickly see that K for many years has been actually much less demonstrative than most coaches and does only a moderate amount of talking to the backs of the refs about things he doesn't like-about average I'd say for a head coach.

Another reason: The Tarheel nation has found it necessary to chill out...glass houses, stones and all. Bless its heart.
    Love, Ima

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

-People liked the style of play of this team and the players - they were exciting, huge talents, and good kids

I followed one of the big East team's Board closely and not only could they not hate this team, they actually Like them. All of them seemed to agree it was because they were 'Fun to watch"

I don't think this will continue To me it more like an eclipsing of the Sun moment.

Out here in the Southwest, the Duke chatter is minimal, even after the National Championship. Duke did get quite a bit of press, but just because we played and beat Utah.

I think Duke "hatred" is pretty minimal, once you get outside of the NC or South as a whole. Except for maybe in Wisconsin at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    I'm sorry to see such an excellent commentator apparently buying into the ridiculous meme that Coach K is more obnoxious or aggressive to referees than other coaches or somehow "works" them more. This meme drives me nuts. If you actually pay attention to the sideline as much as you can during a TV broadcast or attend a game in person and watch the benches, you will quickly see that K for many years has been actually much less demonstrative than most coaches and does only a moderate amount of talking to the backs of the refs about things he doesn't like-about average I'd say for a head coach.
    I don't think it's ridiculous at all. And I'm not buying into anything. I call it like I see it, and I've been watching Duke games in person and on TV for only 12 years. Part of the responsibility of coaches is to work the refs. It's a very important part of the game. I don't dislike coaches who do it.

I have watched plenty of Duke games and, as you said, Coach K does as much working the refs as every other coach. But he was a lot more verbose and energetic about doing this a decade plus ago. He has certainly mellowed on the sidelines. Not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing, merely that it has led to less "hate" from certain parties.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Somewhere in the bowels of Lower Crumudgeonville, Len Elmore is hunched over a luke-warm cup of coffee and muttering to himself about how Duke gets all the calls. Bitter, angry and despondent, he scowls into the vague darkness and grumbles incoherently about the unfair conspiracy that is too obvious to succeed yet another time -- and yet it did.

This thought warms my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I don't think it's ridiculous at all. And I'm not buying into anything. I call it like I see it, and I've been watching Duke games in person and on TV for only 12 years. Part of the responsibility of coaches is to work the refs. It's a very important part of the game. I don't dislike coaches who do it.

I have watched plenty of Duke games and, as you said, Coach K does as much working the refs as every other coach. But he was a lot more verbose and energetic about doing this a decade plus ago. He has certainly mellowed on the sidelines. Not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing, merely that it has led to less "hate" from certain parties.
    What I've noticed is that Coach K gets shown on TV working the refs more than other coaches are shown on TV working the refs. As a result people think that Coach K is working the refs more than other coaches.

I'm re-watching the National Championship game right now (what a great way to spend a leisurely Sunday morning) and just saw the half time interview where Coach K mentioned that we were unable to get them in foul trouble. There are actually people who believe that Coach K's 20 second halftime interview influenced the refs into calling more fouls on Wisconsin the second half (sometimes it's tough to be Facebook friends with UNCheats fans!).

The haters seem to hate our white players the most, and this team started 5 black players, whether it was Matt or Amile in the starting lineup.

Let's see what happens when Grayson and Luke play prominent roles in the coming years. I suspect the hate has not subsided.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    This. There is a huge racial and cultural correlation with Duke hate. It has been shown and repeated ad nauseum on DBR over the years.

This year's team played an exciting, athletic, uptempo style of basketball, coupled with fancy dunks, and a tremendous transition game. We also featured primarily African-American players, many of whom have bright pro careers ahead of them. I loved it to the point where I spent quite a chunk of change winning a BH auction to take my dad to see the team in person. I loved everything about this year's players, regardless of skin color, background, athleticism, or style of play. I also loved hated players like Redick & Battier equally well.

The Duke players that have gotten the hate are guys like Ferry, Laettner, Hurley, Wojo, Redick, Battier, Scheyer, Paulus, etc. Guys like Brand, Maggette, Hill, Deng, Irving, Parker, etc. are generally pretty well received by opposing fan bases.

Look at Grayson, and look at who we have coming in next year as freshmen. The Duke hate will be back. I, for one, will relish it. I can love Duke players of all backgrounds, skin colors, and talent levels. The fact that opposing fans and media will so aggressively hate on 18 year old kids for factors that they cannot control, for factors that would be unacceptable in virtually any other setting... That just convinces me I'm right to cheer for Duke, our players, and Coach K.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Somewhere in the bowels of Lower Crumudgeonville, Len Elmore is hunched over a luke-warm cup of coffee and muttering to himself about how Duke gets all the calls. Bitter, angry and despondent, he scowls into the vague darkness and grumbles incoherently about the unfair conspiracy that is too obvious to succeed yet another time -- and yet it did.

He is certainly to be found" Somewhere in the bowels....". And most certainly in the lower bowels

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    The haters seem to hate our white players the most, and this team started 5 black players, whether it was Matt or Amile in the starting lineup.

Let's see what happens when Grayson and Luke play prominent roles in the coming years. I suspect the hate has not subsided.
    It is somewhat of a backlash to the attention that teams featuring white players receive, ie Wisconsin, Butler, Gonzaga, Notre Dame.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Grayson and Luke are featured on an SI cover ...

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Is it wrong that I'm picturing Gollum right now?