View Poll Results: Which films will earn the most at the Boxoffice this summer? (Vote for 5)

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Avengers 2 (May 1)

59 100.00%
  • Mad Max: Fury Road (May 15)

6 10.17%
  • Pitch Perfect 2 (May 15)

8 13.56%
  • Tomorrowland (May 22)

28 47.46%
  • San Andreas (May 29)

1 1.69%
  • Jurassic World (June 12)

46 77.97%
  • Inside Out (June 19)

33 55.93%
  • Ted 2 (June 26)

5 8.47%
  • Terminator: Genesys (July 1)

13 22.03%
  • Magic Mike XXL (July 1)

0 0%
  • Minions (July 10)

37 62.71%
  • Ant Man (July 17)

12 20.34%
  • Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (July 31)

18 30.51%
  • Fantastic Four (Aug 7)

12 20.34%
  • Other (list in post)

1 1.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommac View Post
    I agree, Fury Road looks amazing. It will probably be one of my favorite movies of the year but I didn't vote for it because, being R rated, I didn't think it would have universal appeal to be in our top 5.
    Just curious ... my impression is that remakes of iconic films don't usually do very at the box office.

Okay, if the first film is a stinker, that's one thing. And I know a few re-boots have done okay. Is this a re-boot?

I looked at remakes and I guess the best I could find in Peter Jackson's King Kong ... which did a solid $218 million domestic. The recent True Grit, which had a fantastic ranking by the critics, did $171 million, which is good, but probably not enough to make a normal summer top 5.

The scenes I've seen in the trailers and promos don't suggest anything that makes me think this is an improvement on the Mel Gibson classic. It looks like a pretty straight up remake. I don't see how that hits it big at the box office.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Just curious ... my impression is that remakes of iconic films don't usually do very at the box office.

Okay, if the first film is a stinker, that's one thing. And I know a few re-boots have done okay. Is this a re-boot?

I looked at remakes and I guess the best I could find in Peter Jackson's King Kong ... which did a solid $218 million domestic. The recent True Grit, which had a fantastic ranking by the critics, did $171 million, which is good, but probably not enough to make a normal summer top 5.

The scenes I've seen in the trailers and promos don't suggest anything that makes me think this is an improvement on the Mel Gibson classic. It looks like a pretty straight up remake. I don't see how that hits it big at the box office.
    I think this movie will appeal to the Fast and Furious crowd, fast cars that have mounted guns on them and rockets. Its like post apocalypse Fast and Furious 15. Also, I think a lot of young people haven't seen the Mad Max movies as they are pretty old at this point. I don't think it will be a top 5 either as it is rated R. I've always enjoyed Tom Hardy as an actor, though he really is only good with cold characters that don't show much emotion. Playing Mad Max should be a perfect fit for him and I expect to see some quality hardcore Hardy going on.

Also I don't think this is really a remake, not sure if its taking the franchise into a new direction and new generation or if they will be trying to stay faithful to the originals.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by AIRFORCEDUKIE View Post
    I've always enjoyed Tom Hardy as an actor, though he really is only good with cold characters that don't show much emotion.
    Just curious if you have seen Locke. It is essentially a one man show.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I think this movie will appeal to the Fast and Furious crowd, fast cars that have mounted guns on them and rockets. Its like post apocalypse Fast and Furious 15. Also, I think a lot of young people haven't seen the Mad Max movies as they are pretty old at this point. I don't think it will be a top 5 either as it is rated R. I've always enjoyed Tom Hardy as an actor, though he really is only good with cold characters that don't show much emotion. Playing Mad Max should be a perfect fit for him and I expect to see some quality hardcore Hardy going on.

Also I don't think this is really a remake, not sure if its taking the franchise into a new direction and new generation or if they will be trying to stay faithful to the originals.
    they are in constant rotation on some of the cable channels.

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and voted. What a tough choice!

There are two films that I think are locks at this point: Avengers 2 and Inside Out. We all know about Avengers but the buzz I am hearing on Inside Out is incredible. Pixar obviously has a great track record and this is supposed to be like Toy Story, Up, and Finding Nemo in that it will have themes that appeal to adults and children in ways that Cars and Brave did not. Avengers 2 will earn more than $500 million and I think Inside Out makes over $300 million.

Next, I went with the dino flick, Jurassic World. The latest trailer really sold me as it seems to be setting up dinosaurs as bad guys and good guys, which could be a ton of fun. The director, relatively unknown Colin Trevorrow, made a small flick called Safety Not Guaranteed that I really liked but the writing team of Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver who did both of the recent Planet of the Apes films (which contained brilliant scripts). I also think Chris Pratt may be the hottest actor in Hollywood right now and audiences will come out to see him play an Earth-bound versiuon of Star Lord. I bet that Jurassic World makes more than $250 million dollars.

My fourth choice was Tomorrowland, and I am basically betting on Brad Bird here. Bid is yet to make a film that was anything but excellent. To me, this was like a few years back when I bet on Christopher Nolan making Inception, which was not a popular pick in our poll in 2010 (only 3 people voted for it, me, Big Pappa, and 05Dukie). I picked it because everything Nolan had done was fabulous and so I figured Inception would be fabulous too. Well, I'm picking Tomorrowland for the same reason. I also loved the latest trailer which showed off both cool action and funky gizmos that seem to me like they will appeal to kids. I'm thinking this one may have the same kind of crossover age appeal that many Pixar films do. George Clooney bringing in the adult audience will help as well. I see Tomorrowland making over $240 million by displaying really strong legs, not just a hue opening weekend (I bet it only does about $60-70 mil for an opening weekend, which may be only the 7th or 8th best opening weekend this summer).

Finally, I spent a long time wrestling among Ted 2, Terminator, Minions, Ant Man, Mission Impossible, Fantastic Four.

I decided pretty early on not to pick Minions because I personally didn't like Despicable Me 2, which is just the dumbest reason ever not to pick a film. DM2 made like $350 mil at the boxoffice. I'm an idiot for not taking Minions and I am pretty sure they will be in the Top 5, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I think they are too cute and I just can't imagine it is going to be watchable for anyone over the age of 12. The screenplay was written by the same guy who did Puss in Boots and Hop, both of which were terrible animated films with horrible, unfunny scripts. I also think this is a blatant money-grab by Universal. I'm probably going to be wrong, but I hope this movie really disappoints.

I'm thinking that A Million Ways to Die in the West killed any momentum Ted 2 might have had and I'm just not sensing much excitement for the raunchy bear sequel. I suspect audiences are not interested in yet another Terminator reboot, especially with no big stars other than social security Arnold and with a relatively uninspiring directing/screenwriting team. Tom Cruise is largely boxoffice poison at this point (put any other action star in Edge of Tomorrow and it makes $250 mil) though I like the writing/directing folks behind MI5. If not for Cruise, I'd probably pick this flick. I already spoke about my concerns over the reshoots for Fantastic Four and I worry about the late summer release date.

So that brings me to the film I picked, Ant Man. Frankly, a couple weeks ago I really wasn't even considering this for my top 5. I am yet to see Paul Rudd carry a mainstream hit film and I did not like that the wonderful Edgar Wright was given the boot as director. But, the screenwriting team has some real heavy hitters on it. The thing that pushed it over the top for me was word from Joss Whedon thought the original script for Ant Man was one of the best scripts he ever read. Now, that script has been re-written some because Marvel wanted more action in it, but I am betting that Marvel kept much of it in place. If Joss thought it was brilliant, I can't imagine they scrapped the whole thing. Edgar Wright, who wrote the original script, does get lead screenwriter credit on the current film. Anyway, last summer taught us that Marvel can do no wrong at this point and I bet that a funny Ant Man film following up on the goodwill likely to be generated by Avengers 2 is going to power Ant Man into our Top 5. I am betting Ant Man makes more than $230 million at the domestic boxoffice.

Well, that's it. That's what I voted for and why. As we have noted many times, this is the toughest contest yet with so many legitimate contenders. I'll be thrilled if I get 4 out of 5 right. I also suspect I am dead wrong about Minions and will regret not voting for it. Ahh well, you win some, you lose some.

-Jason "only a couple days left to get in your votes" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I thought Locke was terrific.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, I finally pulled the trigger and voted. What a tough choice!

There are two films that I think are locks at this point: Avengers 2 and Inside Out. We all know about Avengers but the buzz I am hearing on Inside Out is incredible. Pixar obviously has a great track record and this is supposed to be like Toy Story, Up, and Finding Nemo in that it will have themes that appeal to adults and children in ways that Cars and Brave did not. Avengers 2 will earn more than $500 million and I think Inside Out makes over $300 million.

Next, I went with the dino flick, Jurassic World. The latest trailer really sold me as it seems to be setting up dinosaurs as bad guys and good guys, which could be a ton of fun. The director, relatively unknown Colin Trevorrow, made a small flick called Safety Not Guaranteed that I really liked but the writing team of Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver who did both of the recent Planet of the Apes films (which contained brilliant scripts). I also think Chris Pratt may be the hottest actor in Hollywood right now and audiences will come out to see him play an Earth-bound versiuon of Star Lord. I bet that Jurassic World makes more than $250 million dollars.

My fourth choice was Tomorrowland, and I am basically betting on Brad Bird here. Bid is yet to make a film that was anything but excellent. To me, this was like a few years back when I bet on Christopher Nolan making Inception, which was not a popular pick in our poll in 2010 (only 3 people voted for it, me, Big Pappa, and 05Dukie). I picked it because everything Nolan had done was fabulous and so I figured Inception would be fabulous too. Well, I'm picking Tomorrowland for the same reason. I also loved the latest trailer which showed off both cool action and funky gizmos that seem to me like they will appeal to kids. I'm thinking this one may have the same kind of crossover age appeal that many Pixar films do. George Clooney bringing in the adult audience will help as well. I see Tomorrowland making over $240 million by displaying really strong legs, not just a hue opening weekend (I bet it only does about $60-70 mil for an opening weekend, which may be only the 7th or 8th best opening weekend this summer).

Finally, I spent a long time wrestling among Ted 2, Terminator, Minions, Ant Man, Mission Impossible, Fantastic Four.

I decided pretty early on not to pick Minions because I personally didn't like Despicable Me 2, which is just the dumbest reason ever not to pick a film. DM2 made like $350 mil at the boxoffice. I'm an idiot for not taking Minions and I am pretty sure they will be in the Top 5, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I think they are too cute and I just can't imagine it is going to be watchable for anyone over the age of 12. The screenplay was written by the same guy who did Puss in Boots and Hop, both of which were terrible animated films with horrible, unfunny scripts. I also think this is a blatant money-grab by Universal. I'm probably going to be wrong, but I hope this movie really disappoints.

I'm thinking that A Million Ways to Die in the West killed any momentum Ted 2 might have had and I'm just not sensing much excitement for the raunchy bear sequel. I suspect audiences are not interested in yet another Terminator reboot, especially with no big stars other than social security Arnold and with a relatively uninspiring directing/screenwriting team. Tom Cruise is largely boxoffice poison at this point (put any other action star in Edge of Tomorrow and it makes $250 mil) though I like the writing/directing folks behind MI5. If not for Cruise, I'd probably pick this flick. I already spoke about my concerns over the reshoots for Fantastic Four and I worry about the late summer release date.

So that brings me to the film I picked, Ant Man. Frankly, a couple weeks ago I really wasn't even considering this for my top 5. I am yet to see Paul Rudd carry a mainstream hit film and I did not like that the wonderful Edgar Wright was given the boot as director. But, the screenwriting team has some real heavy hitters on it. The thing that pushed it over the top for me was word from Joss Whedon thought the original script for Ant Man was one of the best scripts he ever read. Now, that script has been re-written some because Marvel wanted more action in it, but I am betting that Marvel kept much of it in place. If Joss thought it was brilliant, I can't imagine they scrapped the whole thing. Edgar Wright, who wrote the original script, does get lead screenwriter credit on the current film. Anyway, last summer taught us that Marvel can do no wrong at this point and I bet that a funny Ant Man film following up on the goodwill likely to be generated by Avengers 2 is going to power Ant Man into our Top 5. I am betting Ant Man makes more than $230 million at the domestic boxoffice.

Well, that's it. That's what I voted for and why. As we have noted many times, this is the toughest contest yet with so many legitimate contenders. I'll be thrilled if I get 4 out of 5 right. I also suspect I am dead wrong about Minions and will regret not voting for it. Ahh well, you win some, you lose some.

-Jason "only a couple days left to get in your votes" Evans
    I'm so glad I voted before this post, Jason, or it would look like I was just copying you. I had the same as you, except I had Minions instead of Ant Man.

Jurrasic World

So, I just saw a preview of Jurrasic World. Is it just me or is it the same plot as all the others?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    So, I just saw a preview of Jurrasic World. Is it just me or is it the same plot as all the others?
    Dinosaurs escape and run amok? I think so, which is why I didn't vote for it. I'll probably get a T-Rex sized bite in the azz for not picking it, but oh well.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Dinosaurs escape and run amok? I think so, which is why I didn't vote for it. I'll probably get a T-Rex sized bite in the azz for not picking it, but oh well.
    I would add kill a few homo sapiens to the run amok apart. Perhaps that is implied. I didn't vote for it either. I think the new dinosaur du jour is spinosaurus.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I'm so glad I voted before this post, Jason, or it would look like I was just copying you. I had the same as you, except I had Minions instead of Ant Man.
    So, your votes are what my head would have done and my votes are what my heart ended up doing. I think the head is the smarter way to go. As I stated earlier, I am probably dead wrong about Minions. Heck, given what the first two Despicable Me movies did at the boxoffice, it should probably be one of my locks.

-Jason "sigh... I hate my picks for not picking Minions" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Not yet last movie with him I saw was The Drop, I have Locke on the to watch list though. The Drop was awesome, you go through it thinking ok what the hell is this movie about and then boom mind blown.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    they are in constant rotation on some of the cable channels.
    A lot of people under 30 have cut the cord on cable and only watch movies on netflix or other streaming services. So a lot of them have not seen it, heck I am 32 and many of my friends have not seen it. Throw in the Mel Gibson factor and the original Mad Max movies are not that appealing to them. Now add Charlize Theron and put Tom Hardy (Bane) in it and you have potential. Then again maybe I am just hoping for it to be successful because I know I am going to like it. I am hoping for a part 2.

Not yet last movie with him I saw was The Drop, I have Locke on the to watch list though. The Drop was awesome, you go through it thinking ok what the hell is this movie about and then boom mind blown.
    I really enjoy Tom Hardy, and he did a great job in Locke. That being said, my wife and I both found the movie to so depressing as to be unenjoyable. My wife bought it on a sale rack at Walmart since we both like the actor and it looked intriguing. We watched it once and I donated it the next day to anyone who wanted it at the office.

I loved the original Mad Max and Road Warrior. This looks like a cross between the two, with a bit of Thunderdome's save-the-children theme thrown in. Yet, somehow, I am having trouble getting excited for this one. I guess I've become wary of remakes of classics. My advice for you and your friends would be to go see the new Mad Max first, enjoy the heck out of Tom Hardy and dirty Charlize and whatever insanity George Miller has cooked up for audiences. Then catch a free Netflix or cable viewing of Mad Max followed by immediately by Road Warrior and see how they compare. If you catch the old flicks for free, you won't be supporting Gibson in any meaningful way (and I enthusiastically applaud attempts to avoid supporting people or organizations you find to be objectionable).

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I really enjoy Tom Hardy, and he did a great job in Locke. That being said, my wife and I both found the movie to so depressing as to be unenjoyable. My wife bought it on a sale rack at Walmart since we both like the actor and it looked intriguing. We watched it once and I donated it the next day to anyone who wanted it at the office.

I loved the original Mad Max and Road Warrior. This looks like a cross between the two, with a bit of Thunderdome's save-the-children theme thrown in. Yet, somehow, I am having trouble getting excited for this one. I guess I've become wary of remakes of classics. My advice for you and your friends would be to go see the new Mad Max first, enjoy the heck out of Tom Hardy and dirty Charlize and whatever insanity George Miller has cooked up for audiences. Then catch a free Netflix or cable viewing of Mad Max followed by immediately by Road Warrior and see how they compare. If you catch the old flicks for free, you won't be supporting Gibson in any meaningful way (and I enthusiastically applaud attempts to avoid supporting people or organizations you find to be objectionable).

Yea Ive seen all the originals, but it has been so long that I barely remember them. However that is what I am going to suggest to my friends who haven't seen it yet.

In other news about the Jurassic World trailer, I think the fun thing about this movie is going to be that the park is actually open and functional. All the kinks are presumably worked out and they have it set up like a normal zoo with terrifying Dinosaurs!!! That is until they go and start creating new Dinosaurs like a bunch a fools. Then of course the people eating begins. I am most looking forward to the trained Raptors portion of the film. Also, I enjoy everything Chris Pratt does so I assume I will like the acting.

Poll's over, here are the top 5 movies. (I lost...dammit.) (In fact, I only got two right.)
    1. Avengers
    2. Minions
    3. Jurasshashadit World
    4. Inside Out
    5. MI - Rogue Nation

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/gall...ons/ss-BBiGwzS

Poll's over, here are the top 5 movies. (I lost...dammit.) (In fact, I only got two right.)
    1. Avengers
    2. Minions
    3. Jurasshashadit World
    4. Inside Out
    5. MI - Rogue Nation

CrystalBall got 3 out of 5 correct, but only because there was a huge shift for Inside Out at the last hour. They totally whiffed on Minions.

1. Avengers
    2. Minions
    3. Jurasshashadit World
    4. Inside Out
    5. MI - Rogue Nation

Tomorrowland not even on the list, eh?

I admit, had I not gone with Tomorrowland as my #5, that would have been my list, though.

Bump. One more day to vote.

A lot of people under 30 have cut the cord on cable and only watch movies on netflix or other streaming services. So a lot of them have not seen it, heck I am 32 and many of my friends have not seen it. Throw in the Mel Gibson factor and the original Mad Max movies are not that appealing to them. Now add Charlize Theron and put Tom Hardy (Bane) in it and you have potential. Then again maybe I am just hoping for it to be successful because I know I am going to like it. I am hoping for a part 2.
    According to Variety, Tom Hardy is "attached" to star in 3 sequels, but Warner Bros. has not confirmed that or made plans for more films.

Well I have good news and bad news - and they are the exact same sentence: Nobody else picked the same Top 5 as I did.

Here's what I was thinking:

1) Avengers 2. Absolute no brainer.

2) Minions. Sorry JE, but you are toast. Minions will be in the Top 5. Why? Because every single kid under the age of 12 will go see it. Every single one. I was at Universal Studios last week, and rode the Minions ride. It was swamped. And funny. The Minions are a perfect thing for little kids because they are silly and goofy and slapstick, and the little kids can relate. And, oh by the way, it won't be miserable for the parents to sit through either. All of my kids want to see it (16, 14, and 11). I want to see it. Oh, and after it comes out there is not another true kids movie until...wait for it...wait for it...September 25th and Transylvania Hotel 2. That's what you call a lack of competition.

3) Inside Out. When all else fails, pick a Pixar movie. Even bad Pixar movies make $200M plus (see Monsters University). There is also good buzz on this.

So those are my top 3. I think they are pretty much locks - especially the top 2. So now I'll do what JE did and remove the other candidates.

* Mad Max - no way. No demand, a total redo of an earlier movie, and not enough of a cross audience. Plus, nuclear holocaust movies don't do well.
    * Pitch Perfect 2 - no way. Yes, a ton of girls will go see it, and guys will go with them for dates. And the first one has a cult like following now (it's actually a really good movie as well). But I just can't see a singing movie breaking $200M, which is what this one will have to do.
    * San Andreas. This year's Day After Tomorrow.
    * Terminator. Terminator 3 made $150M. One after that made $125M. This is a franchise that has no more clever ideas or storylines. It won't break $175M.
    * Fantastic Four. No chance. The first one made $154M. The second $132M. I think this will break $150M, but won't climb above $200M where I think it will need to be.

OK. so that leaves just four movies for the final two spots - Tomorrowland, Ted 2, Jurassic Park and Mission Impossible.

I went with 4) Tomorrowland because of a) the release date and b) the storyline and c) the writer. JE agree on this.

Then I went with....5) Ted 2. Why? Because it's the only real adult comedy out there this summer and after all the blow 'em up type movies on the list above, people are want to go and laugh at a stupid silly bear making stupid silly jokes. Yes, A Million Ways to Die in the West was awful...but the first Ted wasn't a great movie and it still did really, really well.

As for the other two, I'm worried about Mission Impossible. The last reboot broke $200M. That's in the ballpark. But it comes out late (July) and it doesn't have the family draw that Guardians of the Galaxy had, and I think the public is still down on Tom Cruise (as evident by the fact that one of the best movies of last summer had him in it, and didn't do nearly as well as it should have given how entertaining it was).

Jurassic Park is also a player. And all because of Chris Pratt. He's red hot right now. It also has a good release time, and no IMAX competition for three weeks, which will help. What kept me from voting for this is that the franchise (like Terminator) seems worn out. Not sure what they can do that hasn't already been done.

By the way, I have 3 sleepers as well - Pixels, Trainwreck and Poltergeist. All could do really well and beat several shows in our poll. The first is hurt by the fact that Sandler hasn't done a good movie in forever. The second by what I think is some iffy casting (this movie would have been great with Rudd and Wiig). The last is hurt by the fact that another scary movie comes out just 2 weeks later. But there's a lot of sentimentality with this film, and if it's good (and I like Sam Rockwell) it could surprise. Oh, and Sam Raimi is pretty good at picking good horror flicks.

Good luck all!