Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I loathe Calipari, but not the kids who play for him, and I wouldn't begrudge KY fans their joy if the team completes the season with a natty.
    I think this is really well said. My Dad went to Kentucky (he was there the year of the Laettner shot) and I grew up a UK fan until I went to Duke. I always pull for Kentucky and respect the hell out of the team, but I can't pull for Calipari. I think the team is playing really well and rely on each other, and if they were wearing a different blue and white uniform I think it'd be a team everyone on this board would be proud to have playing for Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    If KY beats Duke to win the National Championship on a last second full-court desperation heave that hits off the backboard, then the rim, then off the back of Quinn Cook's head, and goes in the basket after rolling three times around the rim for a one point win, it's still a 40-0 season and something to be celebrated by Wildcat nation.
    Well said. We'd take it any way we could get it. Definitely not going to overlook WI though.

Cal on K:
    http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/03/john...zewski-respect

"“You talk about Mike Krzyzewski, c’mon. Wooden, Krzyzewski, and that’s about it,” Calipari said. “My respect for Mike Krzyzewski goes beyond just watching him and what he’s done in thousands of games, all that. My respect for him goes to this level. What he did for Anthony Davis, what he did for Derrick Rose, what he just did for DeMarcus Cousins on USA Basketball. All of them spent that time with him and their careers changed, the whole direction.

“My hope is that half the team becomes my guys because I see what he’s done for my guys. If you know me well enough, you know that’s moving me. The other stuff is great, and I respect him. That right there, that moves me.”

When I first saw the bracket I figured on this match up (I didn't see anyone in either region who was nearly as good as those teams). And I'm glad I was right. I can't stand Kentucky and I think Wisconsin is as good of a match up as you're going to find in the country to play them. Solid defensively, extremely efficient offensively. They have a lot of size and experience and leadership. They can score outside, inside, and on the drive. If Kentucky is clicking I'm not sure anyone beats them. But if it's one of their MANY subpar performances this season, no one is better suited to take them down than the Badgers.

Hard to see how Wisconsin has a chance, given that in commemoration of its 20th anniversary ESPN.com has named its 20 greatest teams of the past 20 years (covering all sports) and concluded the 2014-15 Wildcats are #15 on that list even though it is my understanding their season has not yet ended

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=12584405

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Cal on K:

"“You talk about Mike Krzyzewski, c’mon. Wooden, Krzyzewski, and that’s about it,” Calipari said. “My respect for Mike Krzyzewski goes beyond just watching him and what he’s done in thousands of games, all that. My respect for him goes to this level. What he did for Anthony Davis, what he did for Derrick Rose, what he just did for DeMarcus Cousins on USA Basketball. All of them spent that time with him and their careers changed, the whole direction.

“My hope is that half the team becomes my guys because I see what he’s done for my guys. If you know me well enough, you know that’s moving me. The other stuff is great, and I respect him. That right there, that moves me.”
    Noooooooo Billy!!! Why do you have to make me begin to like Calipari!!! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooo!!!

In all honesty, I'm despising Calipari less and less these days. I have nothing but respect for his team right now. For what we know, he is recruiting legitimately and getting his teams to buy into his system, which is a huge accomplishment within itself. He'll never have the loyalty nor the patience that Coach K has, but he has other admirable traits.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I have four thoughts about this game:

First, what a great matchup of strength on strength when Wisconsin has the ball! Since their last loss (which was more than a month ago), here are their offensive efficiency numbers:

Home vs. Michigan State: 119.9
    @ Minnesota: 123.6
    @ Ohio State: 120.9
    Neutral site vs. Michigan: 132.0
    Neutral site vs. Purdue: 134.5
    Neutral site vs. Michigan State: 125.2
    Neutral site vs. Coastal Carolina: 136.6
    Neutral site vs. Oregon: 118.9
    Neutral site vs. UNC: 132.2
    Neutral site vs. Arizona: 131.8 (against an elite defensive team no less!)

That, my friends, is an absolutely absurd run of offensive firepower. And then on the other side, there's Kentucky, which has the best defense in the country (although no longer at all-time great levels). Can the Badgers score on Kentucky? Can Kentucky contain the Badgers? I have no idea. And neither does anyone else, even if they claim to. But we're going to find out on Saturday!

Second, as someone else already mentioned, if ever there was going to be a ratings-induced conspiracy, it would be to make sure that Kentucky and Duke make the finals. Given the hype around both teams all year, and their history, and the coaches involved, it would probably be the most watched college basketball game of all time (certainly the most watched in the cable / dish / social media / "we have a million other things to do all the time" era). If the Badgers want to win, they'd better make sure it's not a one possession game at the end.

Third (and as a counterweight to the previous point), the revenge factor. How many times in sports (college, pro, or otherwise) does a team suffer a bitter defeat, use it as motivation all year, give everything they have to put themselves in position to win a rematch... and then never get the opportunity? It happens all the time! We just don't hear about it. But this time, it's actually happening! The same two teams, on the same stage. I bet the Wisconsin kids can't wait for Saturday night.

Fourth, above all else, I want Duke to have the best possible chance to win a national championship. And I think our chances of beating Wisconsin are much better than our chances of beating Kentucky, because Kentucky is A) the better team, and B) a tougher matchup for us because of their ridiculous size and depth inside.

So I'm in the camp that thinks those of you rooting for the "opportunity" to play Kentucky are nuts. Let's go Buzzcuts!!

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Cal on K:

Sorry Billy, but Cal is fake, disingenuous, narcissitic, etc. I don't buy any of that. Every time they put a mic in front of him over the weekend he was a pompous arse. Yesterday at the half of the Louisville/Mich St game, the interviewed him with one of the Harrisons and Cauley-Stein, and asked him his thoughts on Wisconsin. He spent about 10 seconds with a couple of lines about Wisconsin being good, then immediately said "but I want to talk about me man, and how lucky I am to coach my team and these two kids. They did not have to come back man, both were going to be 1st Round picks, but they trusted me with their careers and the other guys trusted me with their careers by coming here, and don't I have a great team man..." and some other such gibberish after that. It was sickening. I have always maintained the guy can coach, especially on the defensive side, but his arrogance and look at me aint I great schitck is appalling. He could have simply answered the question and spoke correctly about how great this Wisconsin team is and what a formidable opponent they will be, but it was all "look at me, man, look at me". Then the halftime comments during the ND game, giving zero credit to how well ND was playing and the whole "we'll be fine" nonsense. Watching him panic in the last 8 minutes of that game, turning to the bench trying to decide which sub to send in was funny. I only wish ND could have closed the deal, so Cal would have gotten what he deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Sorry Billy, but Cal is fake, disingenuous, narcissitic, etc. I don't buy any of that. Every time they put a mic in front of him over the weekend he was a pompous arse. Yesterday at the half of the Louisville/Mich St game, the interviewed him with one of the Harrisons and Cauley-Stein, and asked him his thoughts on Wisconsin. He spent about 10 seconds with a couple of lines about Wisconsin being good, then immediately said "but I want to talk about me man, and how lucky I am to coach my team and these two kids. They did not have to come back man, both were going to be 1st Round picks, but they trusted me with their careers and the other guys trusted me with their careers by coming here, and don't I have a great team man..." and some other such gibberish after that. It was sickening. I have always maintained the guy can coach, especially on the defensive side, but his arrogance and look at me aint I great schitck is appalling. He could have simply answered the question and spoke correctly about how great this Wisconsin team is and what a formidable opponent they will be, but it was all "look at me, man, look at me". Then the halftime comments during the ND game, giving zero credit to how well ND was playing and the whole "we'll be fine" nonsense. Watching him panic in the last 8 minutes of that game, turning to the bench trying to decide which sub to send in was funny. I only wish ND could have closed the deal, so Cal would have gotten what he deserved.
    But Newt, I bet you don't dislike Cal as much as you do the Uncheats! I know I don't. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    Hard to see how Wisconsin has a chance, given that in commemoration of its 20th anniversary ESPN.com has named its 20 greatest teams of the past 20 years (covering all sports) and concluded the 2014-15 Wildcats are #15 on that list even though it is my understanding their season has not yet ended

ESPN did this about 10 years ago before the USC/Texas Rose Bowl game. They had that particular USC team as the 2nd greatest of all time behind the loaded 2001 Miami Hurricanes and we all know what ended up happening in the Rose Bowl. I believe Herbstreit is still weeping.

By the way that list is a joke no 2001 Hurricanes or 1995 Cornhuskers. Those are the two most dominant college football teams the last 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Noooooooo Billy!!! Why do you have to make me begin to like Calipari!!! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooo!!!
    Sorry Billy, but Cal is fake, disingenuous, narcissitic, etc. I don't buy any of that.
    Fellas, I wasn't trying to make him sound nice, I just thought it was relevant. He's totally out for #1, I found it interesting that he spoke about K in terms of how he's helped the Team USA Kentucky alums. I root against him at every turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post

That's absolutely ridiculous... ESPN is bleeding more credibility each day. Kentucky clearly should be ranked in the top 5.

Fellas, I wasn't trying to make him sound nice, I just thought it was relevant. He's totally out for #1, I found it interesting that he spoke about K in terms of how he's helped the Team USA Kentucky alums. I root against him at every turn.
    All good Billy. I just don't buy anything he says as genuine. With his ego, I find it hard to believe he truly feels K did his former players any good, but that's just my personal opinion.

Hopefully Wisconsin sends them packing and they don't even get a chance to play on Monday Night. Even if we lose to Sparty or Wisc, I can live with that as long as Kentucky goes home empty.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    That's absolutely ridiculous... ESPN is bleeding more credibility each day. Kentucky clearly should be ranked in the top 5.
    It's pretty hard to bleed credibility when you don't have any left.

This article pretty much says exactly how I feel. Kentucky is running into a Wisconsin team with unbelievable efficiency on the offense end. I'll take Wisconsin in this game.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...tball/25133355

Best offensive efficiency in modern era and trending up at 127.5 with a nearly 1.3 PPP. And then you factor in how Wisconsin doesn't slice at itself. The team's foul-per-game rate is 12.4, the lowest in the country, and its turnover percentage sits at 12.3 percent of possessions. That's also the lowest in the country. It's done this against the eighth-toughest schedule nationally.

It's been said but Kentucky is going to have earn this title. Notre Dame, Wisconsin, and possibly Duke will be the three best offenses that UK faced all year. I hope Wisconsin doesn't brain fart the game away like Notre Dame did.

Quote Originally Posted by jimrowe0 View Post
    This article pretty much says exactly how I feel. Kentucky is running into a Wisconsin team with unbelievable efficiency on the offense end. I'll take Wisconsin in this game.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...tball/25133355

Best offensive efficiency in modern era and trending up at 127.5 with a nearly 1.3 PPP. And then you factor in how Wisconsin doesn't slice at itself. The team's foul-per-game rate is 12.4, the lowest in the country, and its turnover percentage sits at 12.3 percent of possessions. That's also the lowest in the country. It's done this against the eighth-toughest schedule nationally.
    The most impressive stat to me, revealed in the article, is the fact that 5 different Badgers AVERAGE at least 2 made 3 pointers PER GAME. That's insane.

Matchups

How fun do Dekker - Cauley-Stein and Kaminsky-Towns sound for matchups? This could be fun, like the Notre Dame game, minus the ending.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

TBS? Seriously???

Perhaps this has happened in recent years and I just didn't pay as much attention because A) Duke wasn't in the FF since 2010 and B) I used to have cable but...what kind of a world are we living in that the NATIONAL SEMIFINALS are not on the "big boy" network of CBS? Are dogs and cats also living together?

I mean, it's the freakin' Final Four, man! What, is there a super important episode of JAG coming on Saturday night or something? I certainly hope the national championship is going to be on CBS. Just seems weird to me that TBS gets these games.

The most impressive stat to me, revealed in the article, is the fact that 5 different Badgers AVERAGE at least 2 made 3 pointers PER GAME. That's insane.
    I don't think that is right. Wisconsin "only" has 274 made 3s in 38 games. That is about 7 made 3s per game for the team. They are a terrific shooting team with Kaminsky, Gasser, Koenig, Hayes, and Jackson all shooting 37% or better from 3. But they aren't quite THAT terrific.