Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

MBB: ACCT Semis, Duke v. ND (~2130 EDT, ACCN/ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Rubber match against the Irish. Let's get it done.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

bring it...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    bring it...
    Another high quality, top 10ish opponent to keep us sharp. We'll definitely be "battle-tested" come next week.

I like it...

Now as far as tomorrow's game, I believe Okafor and Winslow will be bigger factors than they were today. I look for a lot of Justise in the paint posting up.

This Duke team's greatest strength is it's balance and versatility with 8 quality guys that all know their roles.

It's why I'm hopeful a trip to the FF is on the horizon.

Go Duke!!!!

The fact that our 4 core startera have been stellar, the Jefferson/Jones flip flop has coalesced, Grayson has emerged as a legit rotation producer, and Marshall seems to be raising his game - we have become a better team over the past month - it is insane!

Bring on the Irish.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    The fact that our 4 core startera have been stellar, the Jefferson/Jones flip flop has coalesced, Grayson has emerged as a legit rotation producer, and Marshall seems to be raising his game - we have become a better team over the past month - it is insane!

Bring on the Irish.
    I knew Grayson was going to be a good player when Jim Sumner commented that Coach K and the staff really liked him. Man, was Jim right. Grayson has a very high ceiling. He plays much better defense than I imagined and he has the heart of Kyle Singler. I worry about him getting hurt the way he throws his body around. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I knew Grayson was going to be a good player when Jim Sumner commented that Coach K and the staff really liked him. Man, was Jim right. Grayson has a very high ceiling. He plays much better defense than I imagined and he has the heart of Kyle Singler. I worry about him getting hurt the way he throws his body around. GoDuke!
    K called him "fearless" in his post-game PC.

What a fun team to watch.

LGD!

I'm wondering what Coach K and staff have up their sleeves for defense against ND? We played very well in CIS the last time we played them. I wonder if Coach will do something different this go round. I look for more of the switching defenses. This seems to work pretty well. To me, this season has been one of Coach K's best coaching jobs. Of course, without the players buying into the scheme, it would not have worked. To take a team that's this young and have them playing this well is an accomplishment. Hi Fives for Coach K and staff!! Beat the Irish, GoDuke!

ND seems to have gone with a small-ball lineup with Pat Connaughton (sp?) at the 4. I believe we match up extremely well with that lineup, since Justise is pretty much a rich man's Pat Connaughton. I won't presume a win, but I think this team is playing with a high level of focus right now, and I'm looking forward to seeing how we approach this game, especially on defense. Let's get this trophy, it's time to bring order back to the ACC.

Some time ago I commented that our very best teams have always had somebody on them with a streak of mean; somebody with a serious will and determination that served him and his teammates well when the going got tough; somebody who thrived on adversity and even rather enjoyed it. In other words, a Laettner or Singler. Until lately I hadn't seen that in this combo. Everybody, though extremely talented, played happy. That's nice and I love them but, the ones who win the whole thing have a bad dude or two on the roster. This team has some guys you'd be relieved to see along side you in a foxhole.

Maybe, just maybe, this team has enough of what it takes to be the last man standing.

Love 'em all, Ima

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    Some time ago I commented that our very best teams have always had somebody on them with a streak of mean; somebody with a serious will and determination that served him and his teammates well when the going got tough; somebody who thrived on adversity and even rather enjoyed it. In other words, a Laettner or Singler. Until lately I hadn't seen that in this combo. Everybody, though extremely talented, played happy. That's nice and I love them but, the ones who win the whole thing have a bad dude or two on the roster. This team has some guys you'd be relieved to see along side you in a foxhole.

Maybe, just maybe, this team has enough of what it takes to be the last man standing.

Love 'em all, Ima
    I agree that this is an important trait, and would add that it is important to show the other team that you aren't going to take any cheap shots. I think Thornton had this kind of toughness, but lacked the talent.

One thing I saw along these lines last night was Grayson showing some spunk. One of the Martin twins, after Grayson had made a few plays, tracked him to the rim and blocked his shot out of bounds, and had some choice words for Grayson as he was getting up off the ground. As a TV timeout was called, Martin turned his back and, as Grayson was running back to our bench. he intentionally smashed his shoulder into the back of Martin's shoulder as he ran by in an unsubtle message of, "I don't take that kind of ish from nobody!" Loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    As a TV timeout was called, Martin turned his back and, as Grayson was running back to our bench. he intentionally smashed his shoulder into the back of Martin's shoulder as he ran by in an unsubtle message of, "I don't take that kind of ish from nobody!" Loved it!
    I saw that as well, and Martin chirped at him as Grayson went to the bench.

We are going to love Grayson as he gets more burn, and everyone else is going to hate him. I bet he'll end up as hated almost as much as JJ...won't reach Christian level, but JJ level will be fine with me.

Versus State last night, Duke kept Okafor in the lane to clog things up rather than having him follow his guy out to the perimeter. Duke's perimeter players concentrated on stopping drive and kicks by staying tight on their man rather than helping into the lane. I think we will see more of this tonight versus ND. ND can only hang with us if they spread us out and play the drive and kick game. We clogged State up and can do it again tonight.

If we can execute on this and avoid backdoor cuts and protect the defensive boards, we will beat ND decisively. Let's hope our guys start the game with a sense of urgency like last night. This is not the time of year for letdowns.

Despite having an 18 point halftime lead ND played their starters for 180 of the possible 200 minutes. Their subs accounting for 14, 6 and <1 minutes respectively. Jerian Grant went the full 40. And people say Duke doesn't have enough depth... Hopefully ND has some tired legs tonight!

Excited to see what defensive wrinkles K has in store for tonight. Last night was masterful.

Goose Givens would have killed that defense last night. The foul line area was wide open all night. Every defense has its vulnerabilities. I like that K has developed a number of adjustments to the zone that he can go to if the offense gets too comfortable. That never happened with State.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post

We are going to love Grayson as he gets more burn, and everyone else is going to hate him. I bet he'll end up as hated almost as much as JJ...won't reach Christian level, but JJ level will be fine with me.
    LOVE Grayson. Hope we have him for 4 years. Of course, I'd love to have Justise forever. We need guys with the warrior mentality. Tyus has it on a stealth level, and we'll all be delirious if he stays, of course

If Luke Kennard has the same mentality as Grayson and the two of them ever end up as our starting backcourt, they may become the most hated backcourt duo ever.

F the haters.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    LOVE Grayson. Hope we have him for 4 years. Of course, I'd love to have Justise forever. We need guys with the warrior mentality. Tyus has it on a stealth level, and we'll all be delirious if he stays, of course

If Luke Kennard has the same mentality as Grayson and the two of them ever end up as our starting backcourt, they may become the most hated backcourt duo ever.

F the haters.
    I am sorry to take us even further off track (as I know this is a ND preview thread), but with respect to Grayson, one of the emerging aspects of his play over the past few games has been his confident ballhandling and playmaking. He is a natural scoring guard and better suited to play SG, but add his name to the list of guys who could possibly function as primary ballhandlers if Tyus leaves early.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Versus State last night, Duke kept Okafor in the lane to clog things up rather than having him follow his guy out to the perimeter. Duke's perimeter players concentrated on stopping drive and kicks by staying tight on their man rather than helping into the lane. I think we will see more of this tonight versus ND. ND can only hang with us if they spread us out and play the drive and kick game. We clogged State up and can do it again tonight.

If we can execute on this and avoid backdoor cuts and protect the defensive boards, we will beat ND decisively. Let's hope our guys start the game with a sense of urgency like last night. This is not the time of year for letdowns.
    I would add to this that Notre Dame looked stunned by Miami's zone in the second half last night. As Bilas mentioned many times, it stood them up and slowed their offensive flow. Notre Dame also just started missing threes, although hard to say how much of that resulted from not getting better open shots through ball movement.

Odds Makers!

Early line is Duke giving ND 6.5 points. Sounds about right. Duke was 7.5 over State if I remember correctly. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post

Love 'em all, Ima
    Usually players develop into that role as they gain confidence at the collegiate level. I don't know how long we'll have him for, but I think Justise has developed into that "bad dude." We saw some of his nastiness against Carolina with his "crazy legs." I'm not sure I've ever seen him smile, but his intensity and sneer gives me chills!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016