Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs NC State, ACCT (1900 EDT, Espn/ACC Ntwk) Pregame and Ingame Thread

Duke takes on the 7-seed, NC State, in the ACC quarterfinals. Discuss here.

MBB: Duke v. NCSU - ACCT Quarters

Let's get some revenge.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Well if Duke thinks a game at NC State in the regular season is hard wait until they see a team on the bubble of making the NCAA tournament and they have to win in order to advance to the tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke3517 View Post
    Well if Duke thinks a game at NC State in the regular season is hard wait until they see a team on the bubble of making the NCAA tournament and they have to win in order to advance to the tourney.
    Except that State is in now/not really on the bubble anymore. I view this differently; if we are Final 4 worthy, the game tomorrow is a round of 32 matchup that we must win.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke3517 View Post
    NCSU is already in, win or lose.

They definitely can play Duke tough, though, but it'd be because of NCSU's talent, not their desperation.

Not afraid of this one. We kill in revenge games and second matchups. I expect that trend to continue.

I suspect the storyline of this game will be Duke's defense.

How well Quinn and Matt (Justise?) guard Barber and Lacey may well dictate the outcome.

I expect the team will be focused for the game against State.

We are a different team than we were in January. State is going to have to play an absolutely great game to win.

I feel we will be ready.

Calling Kedsy! Please tell us your second game against the same opponent theory will apply tomorrow. I think Duke is better than they were when they played NC State last time--among other things, they have learned to mix up a variety of defenses, which will make things less predictable for the NC State offense--but are they better enough, given that NC State is playing well? Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post
    We are a different team than we were in January. State is going to have to play an absolutely great game to win.

I feel we will be ready.
    I expect State will come out strong tomorrow to try to knock Duke back. Duke needs to be careful not to get in a hole. If Duke can weather the first half- they should pull it out. Tough, tough game for Duke. State's guards are excellent- perhaps the next best backcourt and will be hard to stop going to the lane. State plays well in the ACC tourney and will give Duke all it can handle - the entire arena will be with them. It will be a close game- but I am hoping Duke's guards play strong in crunch time.

From here on out, every opponent will have something significant at stake. They're either looking at going home for the season, or there's an important seeding question at issue. It's one reason to love the energy this time of year.

Fasten your seat belts; it's going to be a bumpy flight.

The 'Revenge Road' to the ACC Finals

Have you noticed who is on our side of the bracket -- NC State, Miami and Notre Dame? Likely we will have to beat two of the three teams we lost to in order to advance to the ACC Finals. State tomorrow, and, if we win, most likely Notre Dame or Miami in the semis.

Go Duke! Revenge is sweet!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Calling Kedsy! Please tell us your second game against the same opponent theory will apply tomorrow. I think Duke is better than they were when they played NC State last time--among other things, they have learned to mix up a variety of defenses, which will make things less predictable for the NC State offense--but are they better enough, given that NC State is playing well? Fingers crossed.
    I think the biggest change will just be that (knock on wood) NCSU won't shoot 10-16 from three again and Duke (knock on wood) will shoot better than 7-27 from three.

Also, Duke's big men inexplicably doubled the post in the last one and NCSU made several big-to-big interior passes for dunks. Just play their post men straight up. The Pack's major threats are on the perimeter.

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 6m6 minutes ago
    with quick Cat Barber playing so well & Lacey & Turner still to account for in State's backcourt, thinking Duke might play lots of zone

I think State might come out and pull an NC State - lay an egg after a good showing.

Duke handled Barber the last time. Held him to 1-3 shooting, 4 points. And I think Duke's D has improved since then.

Lacey will still be a handful. Will Duke focus on him?

This game doesn't really scare me much at all, but NCSU has proven they are formidable.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    From here on out, every opponent will have something significant at stake. They're either looking at going home for the season, or there's an important seeding question at issue. It's one reason to love the energy this time of year.

Fasten your seat belts; it's going to be a bumpy flight.
    This.

Our young players are fixin' to see that everything is amped to 11 now. And this is the easy part of March, compare to next week.

Quinn's leadership, and Tyus's ability to handle even more spotlight, are the key.

Should be a hell of a game.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    How well Quinn and Matt (Justise?) guard Barber and Lacey may well dictate the outcome.
    Don't forget Turner. He went for 16 in the first matchup. It's a 3-headed monster out there for State.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 6m6 minutes ago
    with quick Cat Barber playing so well & Lacey & Turner still to account for in State's backcourt, thinking Duke might play lots of zone
    I'm thinking Lacey and Turner (and maybe even Cat at this point) would light up a zone. I expect m2m, and I expect it to be effective.

We don't need to shut down all three perimeter guys, but we can slow down two of them. Between Quinn, Matt, and Justise (when Duke plays big), we have enough perimeter defense to slow down two of the three.

I think NCSU may need all three of them to go off in order to win anyway. Duke's going to play well tomorrow.

I feel as confident about this team as I did about the 2011 team. I like them, but I have a few questions. Tomorrow will be the type of game that will answer some of them for me. The main question is, "how much have we improved?"

Before heading overseas last week I dvdrd the games Duke would be in. I'm heading to Rio for a couple of days tomorrow so I intend to watch these games on Sunday evening after I get back. So not to spoil any surprise I will avoid basketball Internet for the next couple of days.
    Go Duke!!

Quote Originally Posted by gcashwell View Post
    I feel as confident about this team as I did about the 2011 team. I like them, but I have a few questions. Tomorrow will be the type of game that will answer some of them for me. The main question is, "how much have we improved?"
    Did you mean the 2010 national championship team, or the 2011 team which lost to Arizona?

I do think the game vs NCSU will be a good test; I've heard them projected as an 8 or 9 seed; they look better than that to me. Our perimeter defense will have to play well.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Did you mean the 2010 national championship team, or the 2011 team which lost to Arizona?

I do think the game vs NCSU will be a good test; I've heard them projected as an 8 or 9 seed; they look better than that to me. Our perimeter defense will have to play well.
    The team which lost to Arizona. The loss and return of Kyrie left me with some doubts about what I thought was a very good team.