Thread: Latest Painting

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Latest Painting

I thought folks might enjoy this since it is Duke related. This is the largest canvas I've painted, 60 x 48 inches. It's from an image I captured while walking back to our tailgate from Duke Gardens on the morning of the Wake Forest game. I had my camera with me to take photos of my friend Jennifer (who is doing very well after her mastectomy surgery; we are doing photos this weekend for the next painting in her journey) and I got lucky to catch campus in its Fall glory. Unfortunately I can't do the size justice on only part of your computer monitor. (Or even all of your monitor, haha)

West Campus
    60 x 48 inches, Acrylic

WestCampusMed.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

You are wicked talented, CB&B. Wonderful as always.

And glad Jennifer is doing well (I assume she was the same subject you painted before -- very powerful stuff).

Hope to get to the tailgate early enough next time to try the bbq!

I love this! Liked seeing it on facebook too. It would be interesting to see it in person, I'm sure.

Hmmm, quite interesting. Has some Charles Burchfield-like elements to it!

Has a warm and fuzzy lazy afternoon feel to it. The weight of the image seems left-heavy, but it's actually working quite well. The tree branches and shadow of the large tree at center helped me move my eyes around to the right of the image to see what's there. And the building on the right blocked me from leaving the picture and sent me back to the left of the image to study the pedestrians. The larger branches reaching up became my exit point of the image.

Here's to a speedy recovery for Jennifer!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by flagellaman View Post
    Hmmm, quite interesting. Has some Charles Burchfield-like elements to it!

Has a warm and fuzzy lazy afternoon feel to it. The weight of the image seems left-heavy, but it's actually working quite well. The tree branches and shadow of the large tree at center helped me move my eyes around to the right of the image to see what's there. And the building on the right blocked me from leaving the picture and sent me back to the left of the image to study the pedestrians. The larger branches reaching up became my exit point of the image.

Here's to a speedy recovery for Jennifer!
    Thanks much! It's pretty cool to read more than a "wow, that's nice" comment on one of my paintings. (Although, those are never disappointing!)
    Jennifer is doing well; I'm looking forward to the next painting of her since the last one was pretty dark, literally and figuratively. A bit of a necessity in the overall series. The fundraiser is going well too, which is even more awesome.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Thanks much! It's pretty cool to read more than a "wow, that's nice" comment on one of my paintings. (Although, those are never disappointing!)
    Jennifer is doing well; I'm looking forward to the next painting of her since the last one was pretty dark, literally and figuratively. A bit of a necessity in the overall series. The fundraiser is going well too, which is even more awesome.
    Wait! Your reaction to flagellaman was pretty much "wow, thanks!" How do you interpret his evaluation? Did he hit it? Or did he figure out why you wanted to paint that picture? Or were you trying to do something completely different? </critic>

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Wait! Your reaction to flagellaman was pretty much "wow, thanks!" How do you interpret his evaluation? Did he hit it? Or did he figure out why you wanted to paint that picture? Or were you trying to do something completely different? </critic>

-jk
    HA! I am way happy I managed to swallow my beer before reading that. He earned sporks from me, he really did nail it. One of my biggest concerns when I chose the composition was how "left heavy" it is, and that was part of the challenge to balance it out. The last thing I want to do is waste a canvas this huge, not to mention the time invested in it. So, I took a chance, balanced the dark with light and a few lines here and there and I think it worked out really well. It's refreshing after taking the time to make my own decisions on why I want to put colors in one spot, others somewhere else, lines and strokes where I chose to, to then read someone deconstruct it the way they read it and learn that at least in their mind that it wasn't a total disaster.

gorgeous....we just walked through there last fall...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

And I feel like I just walked there.

Wait! Where's the cat in the right foreground?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Wait! Where's the cat in the right foreground?
    PotterPaintingMed.jpg

Meow. (He enjoyed trying to trip me while I carried the painting into back yard to take pics.)