Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

MBB: Coaching Carousel - 2015

Chuck Driesell has been fired at The Citadel after five years. His overall record was 31-94, and he was 11-19/6-12 this season in the Southern Conference.

To make you feel old, Chuck is 52, and of course, the son of Lefty Driesell, Duke Class of 1954.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Chuck Driesell has been fired at The Citadel after five years. His overall record was 31-94, and he was 11-19/6-12 this season in the Southern Conference.

To make you feel old, Chuck is 52, and of course, the son of Lefty Driesell, Duke Class of 1954.
    The thing that always gets the carousel going is one of the major programs turning over. Duke, Unc, Louisville and Cuse seem safe in the ACC for a few years before retirements kick in. Indiana is probably the biggest school that could turn over as Tom Crean is 19-12 after going 17-15 last season.

Super "Let's just hope Brad Stevens doesnt want that job" Dave

Crean recently got the AD's endorsement, for what it means. I do believe he'll get another year. Always thought he was a good coach, just hash;t caught on.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Crean recently got the AD's endorsement, for what it means. I do believe he'll get another year. Always thought he was a good coach, just hash;t caught on.
    Agreed. He has had some recent success recruiting-wise, but Noah Vonleh leaving after one year left this year's team without any meaningful post presence (much less a potentially dominant one in Vonleh). Neither of IU's 2015 commits to date are likely immediate impact players, but Thon Maker (7-0, #5 in Rivals Top 150) and Thomas Bryant (6-10, #37 in Rivals but a McD's AA) are both visiting Bloomington this week. There are some good pieces in place there are on the perimeter, but the need for an inside presence is glaring.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Agreed. He has had some recent success recruiting-wise, but Noah Vonleh leaving after one year left this year's team without any meaningful post presence (much less a potentially dominant one in Vonleh). Neither of IU's 2015 commits to date are likely immediate impact players, but Thon Maker (7-0, #5 in Rivals Top 150) and Thomas Bryant (6-10, #37 in Rivals but a McD's AA) are both visiting Bloomington this week. There are some good pieces in place there are on the perimeter, but the need for an inside game is glaring.
    Glaring is no problem at IU if they use those eye protector things in the booth:

tom-crean-4_3.jpg

Oliver Purnell resigned at DePaul before he could be fired.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...espnapi_public

This pretty much sums it up: "Purnell, 61, had his best season with the Blue Demons in 2014-15, going 12-20 and 6-12 in the Big East, but it was not enough to save his job as he lost his final eight games. Purnell finished 54-105 at DePaul, including a 15-75 record in the league. The Blue Demons finished at the bottom of the standings in each of his first four seasons."

Parrish and Norlander mentioned that Texas fans are growing restless with being pretty good but not great year end and year out. They feel anything less than a sweet 16 could spell the end for Barnes at TX. Their take is that TX would tempting for any coach because the recruiting pool is rich, expectations are low compared to a blue blood school and they can open the bank for Marshall or Shaka. I could definitely see Marshall at Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue KevIL View Post
    Oliver Purnell resigned at DePaul before he could be fired.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...espnapi_public

This pretty much sums it up: "Purnell, 61, had his best season with the Blue Demons in 2014-15, going 12-20 and 6-12 in the Big East, but it was not enough to save his job as he lost his final eight games. Purnell finished 54-105 at DePaul, including a 15-75 record in the league. The Blue Demons finished at the bottom of the standings in each of his first four seasons."
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Parrish and Norlander mentioned that Texas fans are growing restless with being pretty good but not great year end and year out. They feel anything less than a sweet 16 could spell the end for Barnes at TX. Their take is that TX would tempting for any coach because the recruiting pool is rich, expectations are low compared to a blue blood school and they can open the bank for Marshall or Shaka. I could definitely see Marshall at Texas.
    The Clemson Curse.

... and so it begins.

Most eagerly awaiting news on Brian Gregory -- the one ACC coach on the hot seat.

Financial considerations may force Georgia Tech to wait a year, but after four dismal seasons -- and no real prospect for major improvement next season it's hard to see why you would keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Most eagerly awaiting news on Brian Gregory -- the one ACC coach on the hot seat.

Financial considerations may force Georgia Tech to wait a year, but after four dismal seasons -- and no real prospect for major improvement next season it's hard to see why you would keep him.
    Sounds like the UNC predicament with Roy.

Have they finished their buyout of hewitt yet?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Have they finished their buyout of hewitt yet?
    while you seem to be asking the question in jest, in fact they have not finished paying Mr. Hewitt.
    Unless something changed or was misrepresented, he got a buyout to be paid over five years, beginning in 2011.
    I knew someone at George Mason, and evidently Hewitt liked to gloat about all that Yellowjacket money flowing in each year.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    while you seem to be asking the question in jest, in fact they have not finished paying Mr. Hewitt.
    Unless something changed or was misrepresented, he got a buyout to be paid over five years, beginning in 2011.
    I knew someone at George Mason, and evidently Hewitt liked to gloat about all that Yellowjacket money flowing in each year.
    It was half serious/half cynical as I wondered how they could be thinking about replacing Gregory if they were still buying out their previous coach. Thanks.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    It was half serious/half cynical as I wondered how they could be thinking about replacing Gregory if they were still buying out their previous coach. Thanks.
    Actually, when I they hired Gregory, they were paying off three coaches -- Hewitt, Chan Gailey AND George O'Leary. Plus, they were investing a ton of money into the renovation of Alexander Memorial Coliseum.

Both the O'Leary and Gailey money is off the books. Plus, the bulk of the Alexander money has been raised and the refurbishment is complete.

They do have one more year to pay off Hewitt -- which is why I suggested that financial considerations may cause them to wait a year to dump Gregory.

But even if they do fire him, they are in better financial shape than when he was hired.

Alabama fires Anthony Grant. (link)

Grant, 48, was with the Crimson Tide for six seasons, winning at least 20 games three times and making an NCAA tournament appearance in 2012. He also led Alabama to a pair of NIT appearances, reaching the championship game in 2011.

After getting off to a 12-3 start this season, Alabama struggled over the final two months of the season, finishing 18-14 overall and tied for eighth in the SEC.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Charlotte and men's basketball coach Alan Major have "mutually agreed to part ways," the school announced Sunday afternoon...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...e-to-part-ways

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Alabama fires Anthony Grant. (link)
    Grant was 76-25 in three seasons at VCU and got hired at Bama where he went 117-85 overall and 54-49 in conference.

He was a pretty good get at the time but was not able to consistently make the NCAAs.

Actually, when I they hired Gregory, they were paying off three coaches -- Hewitt, Chan Gailey AND George O'Leary. Plus, they were investing a ton of money into the renovation of Alexander Memorial Coliseum.

Both the O'Leary and Gailey money is off the books. Plus, the bulk of the Alexander money has been raised and the refurbishment is complete.

They do have one more year to pay off Hewitt -- which is why I suggested that financial considerations may cause them to wait a year to dump Gregory.

But even if they do fire him, they are in better financial shape than when he was hired.
    I saw another allusion yesterday to GT sending Paul a check for approximately $130,000 per month...nice piece of change, that. Sixty months of bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    Sounds like the UNC predicament with Roy.
    UNC is smart enough to see what the NCAA penalties are before considering what, if anything, to do with Roy Williams. Despite his annoying personal quirks -- even more annoying to UNC fans and officials than to us, I expect -- he's a HOF coach with two national championships. I think any move he makes will be voluntary unless the NCAA lays the entire mess in his lap, in which case UNC is off the hoook, I expect, for any future payments due to contract violations.

FWIW, His total compensation from UNC (salary plus bonus) is under $2 million, but I expect he has many other sources of income from camps the UNC Educational Fund, radio and TV etc. -- not to mention the killing he is making on residential real estate rentals. Coach K's income from Duke is much, much higher (same article).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013