Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Like Pennsylvania?
    Exactly!! Or Massachusetts. I know I don't even need to mention Kentucky.

What's next -- the Duchy of Grand Fenwick?

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I thought JB Duke was born and raised in Durham? Never realized he was from Northen Virginia
    Pretty much. I moved up and down the east coast a lot as an adult, though. Had a pretty nice place in New York City, a beautiful "farm" in New Jersey, and a home in Charlotte. Never lived in Northern Virginia, but I've been through there a lot, and I hear plenty of folks talking about it when they pass me on the quad.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Save Sweet Briar College - please help!

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Sweet Briar College, an esteemed women's college in northern Virginia, announced today that it will close its doors at the end of this year's summer session due to "insurmountable financial challenges." General reaction from alumnae, students, and families, so far seems to be of shock and disbelief. The timing is terrible, as both current students and young women who had been admitted as incoming freshman for Fall 2015 are left scrambling to find alternatives after most institutions' admission or transfer deadlines have elapsed. In light of the claimed financial distress, the college seems to have made some imprudent financial decisions in recent years, most notably a significant new student center and library expansion with a total ~$50 million price tag. The college also has a $94 million endowment, with indeterminate future plans for those funds.
    At his previous post at Trinity College in Connecticut, current interim SBC president James Jones faced charges of misuse of endowment funds, criticism for overseeing a marked decline in institutional reputation, and various accusations of curtailed academic freedom. Similar charges, especially of financial mismanagement (or perhaps outright nefariousness) are already beginning to swirl regarding his Sweet Briar tenure. The college seems to have badly botched the announcement of today's bombshell news, with many members of the SBC community first finding out via a very impersonal Facebook post.
    In any event, the closure of an institution of higher learning with such rich heritage is a great loss for the American academic community, and this is also a telling example of the general health of small and/or single-sex liberal arts colleges. It looks to be an interesting story to follow, and I'd be interested in hearing some informed opinions here.
    Momentum for Saving Sweet Briar is building powerfully every day, fueled by intensifying alumnae engagement, growing regional and national media coverage and escalating outrage over the decision to close Sweet Briar without giving alumnae, faculty or students a single opportunity to help save the college.

We have hired a law firm, Troutman & Sanders, LLP, with expertise in educational trusts, and our team is working diligently to stop the closure.

A compelling Roanoke News editorial published 3-13-15 suggests Sweet Briar’s legal situation closely mirrors the successful legal fight to save Wilson College, a women’s-only college whose Board of Directors tried to close the school in 1979 until a judge stopped them. The next day, the editorial staff reviewed SBC finances, and called on the President and Board of Directors to resign.

Alumnae and Supporters have pledged nearly $3 million dollars to help save the school and this figure continues to grow. Please help us at Duke by pledging your financial support.

Many College faculty members have joined forces with us to save Sweet Briar

A team of financial experts has been pouring over Sweet Briar’s financial statements to better understand the real financial status of the school. Our initial findings tell us that there are many viable ways to keep this school open while a long term sustainable solution is developed to address financial challenges.

Please go to:
    http://savingsweetbriar.com

There is much information on the site.

Please pledge!!