MBB: Duke vs Wake Forest (3/4/15 8 pm, ACCN/ESPN3) Pre- & In-Game Thread

Let's discuss the game.
    Bob Green

Thanks, Quinn! And anyone else with a last home game. <sigh>

Looks like ACC Network:

http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-netwo...uke-03-04-2015

And the early line is 18.

-jk

This is a team that is offensively and defensively not gifted. They rank 116 and 113 in offensive and defensive efficiency, according to KenPom. Only FSU, VT, and BC are worse. However, Duke has had problems with two of those three teams. It seems like the worse a team is, the more we underestimate them. Bad mentality to have.

Fortunately, we have two things riding in our favor. 1) we're at Cameron. 2) it's Quinn Cook's last game in Cameron. And, given what Cook has not only given the team but especially the freshman, I hope we come out guns blazing and don't stop until the clock hits 00:00.

I don't think this will be that competitive of a game, because Duke has been WFU before and because of 1) and 2) above. Obviously, I'm looking to see how this team fights given that UNC is just around the corner. But, more importantly, I'm looking to see how the crowd and Coach K honors Quinn Cook, a three year starter and phenomenal Duke representative.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I'm hopeful that the team and coaching staff did not actually need a few days of focused, undistracted preparation for the Deacs. Because they surely didn't get it. Wake has the component parts to be dangerous, and it's no like Duke blew their doors off in W-S. Still, at home for QC's Senior Night, I'm cautiously optimistic this won't be a Maalox Masher.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Thank you Quinn Cook!

Last year before the Wake game, the conversations here centered around "if we run the table do we get a one seed?" Then we went to Wake and lost. One difference this year, of course, is that the game is at Duke. Another is that Duke actually plays defense this year. But this year's Wake team is better than last year's, and has a better coach. This makes them dangerous. We can afford a loss and retain a one seed this year, but not if that loss is to Wake tomorrow.

The other prevalent conversation last year was about "if we can just get Cook to realize how important he is and assert himself..." QC has had a brilliant senior campaign. I don't think anyone could ask for more from him.
    Senior Night is always an emotional affair, but I expect Cook to channel that emotion into positive energy and have a final Cameron night to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    This is a team that is offensively and defensively not gifted. They rank 116 and 113 in offensive and defensive efficiency, according to KenPom. Only FSU, VT, and BC are worse. However, Duke has had problems with two of those three teams. It seems like the worse a team is, the more we underestimate them. Bad mentality to have.

Fortunately, we have two things riding in our favor. 1) we're at Cameron. 2) it's Quinn Cook's last game in Cameron. And, given what Cook has not only given the team but especially the freshman, I hope we come out guns blazing and don't stop until the clock hits 00:00.

I don't think this will be that competitive of a game, because Duke has [s]een WFU before and because of 1) and 2) above. Obviously, I'm looking to see how this team fights given that UNC is just around the corner. But, more importantly, I'm looking to see how the crowd and Coach K honors Quinn Cook, a three year starter and phenomenal Duke representative.
    Getting back to my hypothesis which I stated before the Syracuse game -- I believe this year's Duke team may be prone to take lesser teams for granted, but much less so if we've played against them already. After our 30 point win in Notre Dame II and our 19 point win in Syracuse II, I'm hoping the hypothesis goes 3 for 3 after tomorrow's Wake game.

Incidentally, I suspect the Quinn's-last-game factor might get the team too keyed up, the way it seemed to in the first UNC game. Hopefully, if it happens it won't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    2) it's Quinn Cook's last game in Cameron. And, given what Cook has not only given the team but especially the freshman, I hope we come out guns blazing and don't stop until the clock hits 00:00.
    In the post-Syracuse interviews, Quinn's teammates were already talking about Senior Night and sending him out with a bang.

Tomorrow, Duke will FINALLY break our recent habit of alternating good and mediocre performances, methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Tomorrow, Duke will FINALLY break our recent habit of alternating good and mediocre performances, methinks.
    Although, if we could keep that pattern going for just one more week...

Wake is a dangerous team if they get to the last segment of the game and feel like they have a chance. They have a post scorer in Devin Thomas, a stretch 4 in the Greek, a couple of guys who can drive to the hoop, and some other shooters. They do seem pretty bad defensively, though. The first time we played them, we came out with our heads up our butts, then got serious and put a 20-point run on them, then got lazy with a big lead and made some incredibly stupid offensive decisions. They paid for it in Winston-Salem. Thomas doesn't like to play defense anymore than Okafor does. If your team patiently and aggressively puts the ball in the paint, I doubt they can score enough to keep up.

I know that Duke typically only puts jerseys up in the rafters that win NPOY or DPOY or multiple all Americas, I don't know the exact criteria but its something like that. With the age of the one and done and Duke embracing it so, I wonder if its time to take another look at this? I know there are a lot of people who feel that Nolan Smith should have his jersey up there, and I happen to think Kyle Singler is deserving. With this new age of college hoops the players who are superstars just aren't going to be in college long enough to earn a jersey retirement. Thoughts...

I mention this because its Quinn Cooks last game in Cameron, and the guy has given me a lot of memories, obviously I don't think he deserves a jersey retirement but what if he continues to average 27 points a game and finishes with the best assist to turnover ratio in Duke history? Then lets say we win the ACC championship and he is MVP, then we win the Regional and he is MVP, finally we win 2 games in the final four and he is the MVP. I would say a four year career at this point in college hoops that culminates in a run like that would be well deserving of a jersey retirement. Especially when Quinn is the unquestioned leader on this team. Just my two cents, and not saying that is whats going to happen, but sure would be nice. Old Timers don't kill me for comparing Quinn to the all time greats, I am just saying in this new age of hoops it may start being all we can expect.

Quote Originally Posted by AIRFORCEDUKIE View Post
    I know that Duke typically only puts jerseys up in the rafters that win NPOY or DPOY or multiple all Americas, I don't know the exact criteria but its something like that. With the age of the one and done and Duke embracing it so, I wonder if its time to take another look at this? I know there are a lot of people who feel that Nolan Smith should have his jersey up there, and I happen to think Kyle Singler is deserving. With this new age of college hoops the players who are superstars just aren't going to be in college long enough to earn a jersey retirement. Thoughts...

I mention this because its Quinn Cooks last game in Cameron, and the guy has given me a lot of memories, obviously I don't think he deserves a jersey retirement but what if he continues to average 27 points a game and finishes with the best assist to turnover ratio in Duke history? Then lets say we win the ACC championship and he is MVP, then we win the Regional and he is MVP, finally we win 2 games in the final four and he is the MVP. I would say a four year career at this point in college hoops that culminates in a run like that would be well deserving of a jersey retirement. Especially when Quinn is the unquestioned leader on this team. Just my two cents, and not saying that is whats going to happen, but sure would be nice. Old Timers don't kill me for comparing Quinn to the all time greats, I am just saying in this new age of hoops it may start being all we can expect.
    I know we've had threads on jersey retirements in the past. You make a pretty good point regarding OAD era. But I believe there are more 4 year players that should have their number hanging from the rafters than Quinn and Nolan. I think Alarie and Denton deserve to have their numbers retired. They were very good players. But I don't think either won a NCAAT or was First team AA. GoDuke!

I found this refresher on the criteria for jersey retirements helpful. Despite the OAD era, I like the fact that our criteria is different from others'.

http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/media...DB_OEM_ID=4200

"Though there is no ‘official’ criteria to have a jersey retired at
    Duke, a player must achieve at a national level — earn National
    Player of the Year or National Defensive Player of the Year honors,
    set an NCAA record, win a gold medal representing his country in the
    Olympics or earn All-America recognition. What distinguishes Duke’s
    retired jersey players from many other schools is the main criteria.
    No jersey will be retired at Duke unless the player has earned his
    degree.
    "

I look forward to the end of our 3-consecutive-game sprained ankle streak on Wednesday.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by AIRFORCEDUKIE View Post

If Kyle's individual and team accomplishments didn't cut it, I don't see Quinn earning enough accolades to have his jersey retired either. Let's enjoy and embrace his last game in Cameron and hopefully a multiple championship run.

i predict a win by 30

we've done very well in our repeat games thus far and our first game was before the two meltdowns before the defense revamped. We're killing it at home of late, and wake forest is not nearly as good a defense as cuse (and about the same on O).

It's senior night and the students ought to be ready.
    April 1

The location of this game is important.

In a lot of cases, it's not -- in the rivalry with North Carolina and the old series with Maryland, homecourt was just a minor factor.

But it does mean something to certain schools (NC State, for instance) -- none more than Wake. If you look back over recent history, almost every Duke visit to Winston-Salem has been a difficult game ... but almost every Wake visit to Duke has been a solid to easy Duke victory. Wake last won in Durham in 1997 -- when Tim Duncan was matching up against Greg Newton. Since then, Duke is 15-0 vs. Wake in Durham -- and every single one of them has been by at least 10 points.

And it's not just Duke -- Jeff Bzdelik won two ACC road games in four years at Wake ... Danny Manning's first Wake team is 0-7 on the road in the ACC.

I'd be shocked in Wake wins Wednesday night or even turns it into a thriller.

To be fair, Wake did play Virginia a one-point game in Charlottesville. The also lost in OT at Syracuse and in double OT at FSU.

PS I'm sorry somebody brought up the retired jersey question in regards Quinn, How about saving that for another time and place? I want to praise and celebrate Quinn's career this week -- not nitpick about whether he deserves to be in the rafters. I think that's one reason Coach K changed the jersey retirement ceremony to the next year and not on senior day -- he doesn't want the issue to be a distraction. Bring it up again in May and I'll be glad to join the debate.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

Looks like ACC Network:

http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-netwo...uke-03-04-2015

And the early line is 18.

-jk
    Apparently participation in the ACC Network is voluntary as the station in Savannah listed is not broadcasting the game.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I hear that. I'm getting a bit choked up already, thinking about everything Quinn has seen and been through during these past four years. All the guys who cycled through, all the guys who stayed, ups and downs. Wow, this is going to be a tough farewell.

Our Captain!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I hear that. I'm getting a bit choked up already, thinking about everything Quinn has seen and been through during these past four years. All the guys who cycled through, all the guys who stayed, ups and downs. Wow, this is going to be a tough farewell.

Our Captain!
    Yes. Will be sad to see the last of Jahlil, who has been a fine representative of Duke, and if it turns out that way, also the last of Justise and/or Tyus, who have also been great. But Quinn is something special--a four-year guy who has grown into a man before our eyes. DMV represent!

I would love to see some small measure of defense played this time against Thomas.