Duke's Common Ground

Mods, if this is too hot a topic, accept my apologies in advance and close the thread.

My intention is not to stir up anything directly related to the topic on the main board, but to explore why Duke invests in the Common Ground program.

I looked for links via Google and did not find a huge amount of information.

From one blog dated March 19 on the Duke Student Affairs website:

This journey ‘Common Ground,’ is formally described as “a student-led diversity immersion retreat program dedicated to exploring human relations in personal and powerful ways. “

I'd be interested in learning more from the programs attendees but a couple of thoughts spring to mind:

1) what was the original justification for Duke investing money (14k per year?) in such a program?

2) Benjamin Franklin said, three can keep a secret if two are dead. Expecting confidentiality from 56 kids / young adults on what appear to be pretty charged topics may not be realistic.

3) student led. What training or qualification do the student leaders receive to enable them to lead these discussions?

In some ways, I applaud the university for enabling such powerful dialogs to take place. In other ways, I wonder how thoughtfully the university considered its liability in sponsoring such an event.

I'll restate my intent- my goal is not to rehash the dialog on the main board, it is to gain more insight into an activity I was completely unaware of on campus.

A link I found from the Chronicle:

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article...g#.VPWrK4Y8KrU

Thanks in advance for keeping the dialog civil.

You can read more about the origins of the organization here, here, here.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Mods, if this is too hot a topic, accept my apologies in advance and close the thread.

My intention is not to stir up anything directly related to the topic on the main board, but to explore why Duke invests in the Common Ground program.

I looked for links via Google and did not find a huge amount of information.

From one blog dated March 19 on the Duke Student Affairs website:

This journey ‘Common Ground,’ is formally described as “a student-led diversity immersion retreat program dedicated to exploring human relations in personal and powerful ways. “

I'd be interested in learning more from the programs attendees but a couple of thoughts spring to mind:

1) what was the original justification for Duke investing money (14k per year?) in such a program?

2) Benjamin Franklin said, three can keep a secret if two are dead. Expecting confidentiality from 56 kids / young adults on what appear to be pretty charged topics may not be realistic.

3) student led. What training or qualification do the student leaders receive to enable them to lead these discussions?

In some ways, I applaud the university for enabling such powerful dialogs to take place. In other ways, I wonder how thoughtfully the university considered its liability in sponsoring such an event.

I'll restate my intent- my goal is not to rehash the dialog on the main board, it is to gain more insight into an activity I was completely unaware of on campus.

A link I found from the Chronicle:

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article...g#.VPWrK4Y8KrU

Thanks in advance for keeping the dialog civil.
    Given that the primary purpose of CG is to create dialogue, I find it fitting to create and maintain a dialogue about that dialogue. I hope we get several viewpoints on here, but I am not expecting much.

I have strong feelings both ways. Everyone you talk to about it will have a different opinion and a different experience. I encourage everyone here to take the time, if feasible, to talk to someone who went on the retreat. Reading articles with quotes is helpful, but not nearly as informative or powerful.

As a disclaimer, I am a straight white male from an affluent household, so that influenced my experience and feelings on CG. Take my opinions with that in mind.

To address your questions:
    1) I imagine it was for diversity purposes. Duke can honestly and unabashedly claim to foster diversity through its funding of CRR endeavors. Plus, Duke gives $$$ to lots of organizations, so you'll have to ask them about how they determine their budget. Being free for students is a big draw for the retreat, too, so I don't expect CG to charge for the retreat at any point in the future, short of the imminent threat of shut down.

2) After talking with participants from several different retreats, as well as my own experience, the stories themselves, especially the more powerful ones, do NOT stay secret. What DOES stay secret are connecting names to stories. Students do form surprisingly powerful bonds, and the sense of privacy is palpable. I mentioned in my comment that, during my retreat at least, "confidentiality" was not promised, but the intensity of the whole thing kinda negates any desire for gossip. There really isn't often anything that can be done with these stories anyways (except apparently in this unique case). I hope this whole Sheed thing sparks conversation among CG leadership about potential shortcomings of CG wrt secrecy and "leaks", and doesn't harm the "safe space" perception.
    2a) Honestly, stuff discussed on CG is not meant to be kept secret. Participants try to bring back what they learned and try to influence campus and society to become more open, tolerant, and positive. It is not a lamp to be kept under a basket (I butchered the metaphor...you know what I mean).

3) "Facilitators", as they are called, from what I can tell are trained by past leadership, and all of them had been on previous retreats. Honestly, I wouldn't feel comfortable speculating too far (we'd need a former facilitator for that), but the activities (which are more or less kept secret) are handled less with instruction and more with, yes, "facilitation".

I simultaneously agree and disagree with both the criticisms and praises laid out in various articles. Yes, I'm conflicted. 50% (now 57%) of my comments on this board are CG related. In order not to create a novel, I'll mostly stick to questions asked. Mostly.

Last thing for now: I unequivocally found CG a rewarding experience and would unreservedly vote for Duke to continue the retreat if given the option, and I am about the last person anyone would expect to defend CG (which I guess you have to take my word for, sorry).

Again, my comment and the previously posted articles shed light on it, but you really need to either experience it or talk in person with someone.

Hopefully this helps
    Last edited by jjredickrules; 03-03-2015 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Math error with percentage calculation
    Tent 1 Three-peat (2012-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post

2) Benjamin Franklin said, three can keep a secret if two are dead.
    And to think, I always believed this to be attributed to John Gotti.