Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Cities to visit in Kentucky/Tennessee

So I'm looking to spend a long weekend visiting a city (“city”) in either Kentucky or Tennessee.

What would be a fun place for a couple to visit for 2 or 3 days? Thinking in terms of a decent downtown for going out to dinner and/or bars, plus stuff to see or do in the daytime.

Immediate impressions are Lexington, Louisville in KY and Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga in TN (Memphis is a bit too far away for this trip).

What says DBR? Yea or nay on any of those places, or other suggestions for somewhere I might not have thought of? Cheers.

Nashville ROCKS!

Quote Originally Posted by tombrady View Post
    So I'm looking to spend a long weekend visiting a city (“city”) in either Kentucky or Tennessee.

What would be a fun place for a couple to visit for 2 or 3 days? Thinking in terms of a decent downtown for going out to dinner and/or bars, plus stuff to see or do in the daytime.

Immediate impressions are Lexington, Louisville in KY and Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga in TN (Memphis is a bit too far away for this trip).

What says DBR? Yea or nay on any of those places, or other suggestions for somewhere I might not have thought of? Cheers.
    I lived in Nashville for two years, and LOVED it. You can easily spend a long weekend just around the area. Go see a Titans game, or watch the Vandy undergrads get loaded and dressed to the 9's (really, they get all dolled up, the guys and the gals) for a Commodores game. Hit the Bluebird Cafe, the best music venue for songwriters, in the history of songwriter/singer cafes. Go dance in some honkeytonk bars in the downtown (Ymo, help me out -- Purple Orchid? Is that the main one?) The downtown area has some fantastic restaurants, and quite a few shi-shi ones that will make you think you're in Manhatten.

Andrew Jackson's "Hermitage" is nearby for some historical/educational purposes, and the Tenn. State museum is pretty interesting -- it has a lot on the civil war battles that were fought just outside of town; there's an observatory in a great park just to the west of the city -- also very good hiking trails in there.

The Mammoth Caves in Kentucky are about an hour away; as are the National Corvette Museum, and the Jack Daniels distillery.

Lest some country-music fan beat me about the head and shoulders for neglecting it, there's also the Grand Old Opry (aka Gaylord Hotels' tourist trap.) I suppose it's worth going to for the music, but I never did. (I prefer the old Ryman Auditorium, where the Opry started.) Near the Opry is a huge mega-outlet mall and a huge hotel with really amazing Christmas decorations, but I wouldn't recommend either unless you're into shopping and schmaltz.

Nashville

I'll second that rec. Great town, unique enough to make it worth visiting for a weekend. Not a ton to do during the day, unless you're OK with somewhat touristy stuff like the Opry or Country Music Hall of Fame (which I never went to, and suppose it could be neat if you're really into the history of country music). But man, there's enough to do in that town for a week's worth of nights. A trip to the Bluebird is a must, even if no one you've heard of is playing. And hit the honky tonks downtown, like Tootsie's. Packed full of people from out of town, but a riot nonetheless. My goal on Broadway quickly became to see someone wearing the logo of all 12 SEC schools. Took about two hours. Plenty of good restaurants in town, too.

Vandy's a nice campus to walk around for a couple hours in an afternoon. You could also drive around Belle Meade and take a walk in Percy Warner Park (I have a feeling that may be the park DevilAlumna's talking about, too, and if I recall it's not far from the Hermitage).

Speaking of the Hermitage, stay at the like-named hotel downtown. Great hotel at surprisingly low rates. At least the weekend I spent there.

i have been to pigeon forge before and there is plenty to do there. gatlinburg is the next town. you have the smokey mountains. its a wonderful place to visit

If I may add my pennies of opinions, consider Kingsport/Johnson City and Bristol TN (northeast extreme of the state).
    Beautiful sceneryt, great places to hang and chill and a few fun places to explore too.

My (slightly jaded) opinion is visit (if you like outdoors kinds of things) West 'freakin' Virginia. Who cares about KY or TN? Why would you visit there when you could go to WV- wild and wonderful. Visit in the peak of fall - go rafting, kayaking, hiking or rock climbing, mountainbiking or whatever.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by tombrady View Post

I live in Chattanooga. The downtown has really been revitalized in the last 10-15 yrs. But I am a family man and can't really speak much to the bar scene (we do have plenty of them though - incl. concert bars like Rhythm & Brews. there are others - I just never get out without kids). Good restaurants downtown, too.

With kids there's a ton to do, though, and if you want me to rattle off some places just reply - but I'll assume that doesn't apply here. It's a pretty area and there are a lot of outdoorsy things to do, depending on your taste for mountains (rock climbing, hiking, hang gliding, cycling).

Assuming you are a Duke fan I would avoid Lexington and just enjoy Nashville, if you haven't been before. I haven't spent time in Louisville, but Knoxville (home of Univ-TN) is probably OK for bars and music.

--cspan37421

BTW, my 2 cents on Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge is to avoid it unless you really like places overrun with traffic jams, tourists, and tacky entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    BTW, my 2 cents on Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge is to avoid it unless you really like places overrun with traffic jams, tourists, and tacky entertainment.
    i understand your point about traffic. in the summer, but this is the off season there and the traffic is not that bad

If you must stay on the Tennessee side of the Smokies, Townsend is a bajillion times better than Craplinburg.

I actually don't mind Pigeon Forge; it's dirt cheap, but I'm usually up early to head into the mountains, so I'm beating most of the traffic anyway.

Unless you are in serious need of a tee-shirt.

Lexington, KY

If you happen to find yourself in enemy territory (Lexington, KY), like I did last fall for a week long training course, go see Rupp Arena. For $9 or so you can get a guided tour. Personally, I think it takes a lot of chutzpa to charge that much for a 1 hour tour, but I spent it and I'm glad I did.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    If you happen to find yourself in enemy territory (Lexington, KY), like I did last fall for a week long training course, go see Rupp Arena. For $9 or so you can get a guided tour. Personally, I think it takes a lot of chutzpa to charge that much for a 1 hour tour, but I spent it and I'm glad I did.
    Heck, I "toured" Rupp and watched Duke win there.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonelson View Post
    i understand your point about traffic. in the summer, but this is the off season there and the traffic is not that bad
    When is that "Rod Run"? The only time I went, it was going on and traffic was a parking lot. It did not help that UT had a home football game that afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    (Ymo, help me out -- Purple Orchid? Is that the main one?)
    Lonnie's was the only one I had been to it's on Printer's Alley, not sure about the rest.

Percy Warner Park is the DevilAlumna is refering to. Not to knock some other towns, but I think Nashville will have the greatest variety as it is larger than the others. I think a lot depends on how you want to fill up the day. If the whole day in the woods is interesting, then heading to the eastern part of the state might be of greater interest.
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 09-19-2007 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Grant Hill = 218, I don't wanna post again.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    When is that "Rod Run"? The only time I went, it was going on and traffic was a parking lot. It did not help that UT had a home football game that afternoon.
    ok ok dont go to pigeon forge i am from maryland been down there a couple of times there is lots to do but the traffic is bad in the summer i did not buy any tshirts there though

I echo the recommendation of Nashville. I must also insist that while there, you eat a cheeseburger at Rotier's. I'm not sure exactly where it is, but it's close to Vanderbilt. I'm sure many locals could direct you there. It's one of the best burgers you'll find anywhere.

My vote is for Nashville and definitely the Bluebird.

I 100% concur

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonelson View Post
    i have been to pigeon forge before and there is plenty to do there. gatlinburg is the next town. you have the smokey mountains. its a wonderful place to visit
    My family and I have gone to Pidgeon Forge/Gatlinburg at least once every year since I was 2, and it's fantastic there. A great family vacation spot, and the Smoky Mountains are wonderful this time of year with the leaves changing colors. I would highly recommend it.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

One more thing to do in Nashville

Go see Nicole Kidman's House for Sale!

Mortgage is estimated at only $13,000 per month. Pretend you can afford it, and get a tour.

http://homes.realtor.com/prop/1088424348