Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I think this is a tremendous suggestion. I would urge the same notification if a post or thread is moved.
    Agreed. I think the overall "silence" on the Spring Cleaning thread also suggests some confusion or pause as to the need for the new initiative (okay, maybe not new but "refreshed?" Perhaps I am wrong. This post is NOT intended to flame at all.

I had likened this board to being in a sports bar, among friends, talking and I love the idea of making sure posts are relatively on target to Duke hoops and that everyone is civil to each other - the latter being extremely important and unique to boards as a whole.

But now, and this is a bit of a stretch, I would more liken the board to being in a classroom overseen by a teacher (s) during exams.

Like the "Congrats Greybeard" post for instance. I had some pause at posting, "Way to go Greybeard," because it did not really add anything new to the thread.

Also, a while back I posted a "Magic Spell" for Duke. No way would I post after reading this thread, yet, I got a lot of positive feedback on that thread. I'd argue that, while on the surface it is not "hard news," it IS adding value to the site. Note: Duke is 3-0 since spell was cast by EarlJam.

Anyway, I hope the moderators will welcome all kinds of feedback regarding Spring Cleaning. I think both the positive and negative feedback could serve very useful now and down the road.

Speaking of roads, may Duke be in the fastlane on the Road to The Final Four in April!

-EarlJam

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Would it be unreasonable to request that if you have a post deleted that you be sent a brief explanation?

First of all, I think that's just kind of "fair." Secondly, I think this will help educate people as to what is expected of them and what is/isn't appropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I think this is a tremendous suggestion. I would urge the same notification if a post or thread is moved.
    While I appreciate that you would like an explanation, it just isn't practical, especially for the next several weeks. This is a very busy time of year for the boards, which is part of the reason for the "spring cleaning" statement in the first place. Adding the burden of having to explain all of our actions to the posters impacted would be unfair, IMO, to us moderators.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

I have a quick question on rumors; are all rumors considered bad? Basically, I believe that a large role of this board is the dissemination of information relating to a topic which we all love. As such, rumors serve a large part in this process since they are often much harder to learn and give us the fix that alleviates our need to know everything we can about the program. I understand that malicious rumors have no place, but aren't comments about prospective commits nothing more than rumors? I am not asking for a fine line to be delineated, but rather a simple clarification of the bold statement that all rumors will be deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    I have a quick question on rumors; are all rumors considered bad? Basically, I believe that a large role of this board is the dissemination of information relating to a topic which we all love. As such, rumors serve a large part in this process since they are often much harder to learn and give us the fix that alleviates our need to know everything we can about the program. I understand that malicious rumors have no place, but aren't comments about prospective commits nothing more than rumors? I am not asking for a fine line to be delineated, but rather a simple clarification of the bold statement that all rumors will be deleted.
    Rumor mongering is covered in the guidelines under Destructively Negative. We do let many rumors stand.

-jk

I understand all the concerns expressed in this thread, and would have the same ones if I were reading his statement for the first time. But it's just not remotely possible for us to send a PM every time we delete a post. The simple answer is that it's just way too time consuming. That said, if you receive an infraction for a post, that automatically comes with a PM. And if you're wondering where a post went, just PM a bunch of mods and someone will get back to you. CSPAN, I'm sorry that no one got back to your messages. I'd send them again -- usually we're pretty good about responding promptly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I understand all the concerns expressed in this thread, and would have the same ones if I were reading his statement for the first time. But it's just not remotely possible for us to send a PM every time we delete a post. The simple answer is that it's just way too time consuming. That said, if you receive an infraction for a post, that automatically comes with a PM. And if you're wondering where a post went, just PM a bunch of mods and someone will get back to you. CSPAN, I'm sorry that no one got back to your messages. I'd send them again -- usually we're pretty good about responding promptly.
    I can dig that. I guess I was thinking that there might be a way to automate a notification. Not an explanation, but just whenever a mod clicks "delete" a PM automatically gets sent to the poster saying "your post in XYZ thread was deleted by Jumbo" or whatever. Sorry to keep harping, but I think that this would be really useful.

I totally dig the time consuming thing, and I'm not sure how hard or easy it would be to automate something like I just suggested, but I'm just trying to offer constructive suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I can dig that. I guess I was thinking that there might be a way to automate a notification. Not an explanation, but just whenever a mod clicks "delete" a PM automatically gets sent to the poster saying "your post in XYZ thread was deleted by Jumbo" or whatever. Sorry to keep harping, but I think that this would be really useful.

I totally dig the time consuming thing, and I'm not sure how hard or easy it would be to automate something like I just suggested, but I'm just trying to offer constructive suggestions.
    If the board software doesn't support it automatically (and I'm pretty sure it doesn't), it's a non-trivial amount of work.