Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

WBB Notre Dame - 2/16 9:00

I was reading the Notre Dame game notes from goduke, http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=209889215 and a couple of items caught my attention:

" Senior Ka値ia Johnson has swiped 15 steals over the last three games, including a career-high six against Clemson. She ranks tied first in the ACC with a 2.3 steals per game average in ACC play"
    " Senior Ka値ia Johnson ranks No. 4 in the ACC with a 4.2 assist per game average. She has dished 105 assists this season and had 39 assists her first three years combined."
    " Senior Ka値ia Johnson drained a career-high three three-pointers against Louisville and now owns 17 treys on the season. She had made 10 three-pointers her first three seasons."

I realize that Kalia may not be an elite point guard, but these statistics are awfully good for a player who has less than one season of collegiate play at the point. Kudos to Kalia and to the coaching staff.

Also this came as a bit of a surprise to me:

"Head coach Joanne P. McCallie is nearing the 100-win ACC mark with a 99-19 mark over her eight years with the Blue Devils. McCallie is currently at only 118 games with four regular season league contests remaining this season.

Fastest to Reach 100 ACC Wins
    Games
    129 Kay Yow, N.C. State (100-29)
    150 Gail Goestenkors, Duke (100-50)
    151 Chris Weller, Maryland (100-51)
    154 Debbie Ryan, Virginia (100-54)
    155 Brenda Frese, Maryland (100-55)"

Thanks for that! Ka'lia has really been great lately, and she'll have to be great tonight if we're to give the Irish a run for their money. Defense, ladies, defense!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
    I was reading the Notre Dame game notes from goduke, http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=209889215 and a couple of items caught my attention:

" Senior Ka値ia Johnson has swiped 15 steals over the last three games, including a career-high six against Clemson. She ranks tied first in the ACC with a 2.3 steals per game average in ACC play"
    " Senior Ka値ia Johnson ranks No. 4 in the ACC with a 4.2 assist per game average. She has dished 105 assists this season and had 39 assists her first three years combined."
    " Senior Ka値ia Johnson drained a career-high three three-pointers against Louisville and now owns 17 treys on the season. She had made 10 three-pointers her first three seasons."

I realize that Kalia may not be an elite point guard, but these statistics are awfully good for a player who has less than one season of collegiate play at the point. Kudos to Kalia and to the coaching staff.

Also this came as a bit of a surprise to me:

"Head coach Joanne P. McCallie is nearing the 100-win ACC mark with a 99-19 mark over her eight years with the Blue Devils. McCallie is currently at only 118 games with four regular season league contests remaining this season.

Games

Astonishing coaching numbers. Might be hard for some folks to take.

Thanks for the clarity!

-jk

Games
    That's incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by vick View Post
    That's incredible.
    Hard to say which is more incredible: Coach P's achievement or the position of some within the fanbase that she is insufficient to lead Duke women's basketball. The best and worst of sports, right there.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

KJ had a rough start of the season, when I think she was trying to do too much. I don't think she has a great handle of the ball (perhaps her hands are a bit smaller than an average 6' tall women) and it seemed like she was rushing things to get ahead of the other team's defense.

Since Sierra transferred, the pace of play has slowed, apparently by design by the coaching staff, and her play has steadied. She also isn't taking as many shots. When she does, they're more open and she's been hitting more (eye test, I haven't checked the stats.)

There's rarely been any question about her defense, nor her heart and energy (watch her when she's on the bench.)

I think she's also the leader of the team (Elizabeth is the best senior player, but her personality isn't a "get in your face" type of leadership) especially emotionally.

I was about to give up on the potential of this season, given the injuries and transfers (or both, in Alexis's case.) But the way this team has come together, and playing, gives me hope. And unlike just before/after Sierra transferred, the team looks like they're having fun again playing. (Admittedly, winning does that for you!)

Do I expect a win tonight? No, that would be unrealistic. But I think we have a chance, more than I would have thought about a month and a half ago. One of our defensive weaknesses is covering the three. It wasn't great when we had guards. A smart team (and that certainly describes ND) will be able to find the extra pass for an open shot, and not panic because of our height.

(For similar reasons, the team I'd hate to see in the tournament again is DePaul. They're exactly the team that'll give us big problems, and negate our inside advantages.)

Here we go again.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Here we go again.
    C'mon. Let 'em play it first...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    6 points in 10 minutes isn't going to get it done against ND. currently a 7-24 run. a quick start the reason why this is still close-ish.

hoping they can pull it out, but getting further away.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    Would be reassuring to see some indication of a plan to attack ND's junk defense.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    6 points in 10 minutes isn't going to get it done against ND. currently a 7-24 run. a quick start the reason why this is still close-ish. Didn't expect duke to win this game, really.
    Regardless of how you prepare to play a team as tall as Duke, once the game starts you can still get shocked by it. Unfortunately, once ND was able to adjust, it's been lights out with the threes. Worse, being out-rebounded (especially ND's offensive ones) is troubling. Can't take "time off" against a team as well prepared as the Irish.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Regardless of how you prepare to play a team as tall as Duke, once the game starts you can still get shocked by it. Unfortunately, once ND was able to adjust, it's been lights out with the threes. Worse, being out-rebounded (especially ND's offensive ones) is troubling. Can't take "time off" against a team as well prepared as the Irish.
    yeah, they've been much more tenacious on the glass, and terrible at closing out the shooters...that one as the shot clock expired was inexcusable.
    April 1

Well, Duke is playing, though certainly not better. That's something.

It can't help the players' mindset to always come into games like this with a significant schematic disadvantage.

It can't help the players' mindset to always come into games like this with a significant schematic disadvantage.
    Look, I usually really like what you have to say. But this season? With this team that has so wildly overachieved? I just don't get the negativity. I do not conjugal-visiting get it.

Before you accuse the staff of failing to prepare the team for the junk defense that ND threw at us, show me one minute of tape of ND running that defense, against anybody, at any time in the last five seasons. Just one minute. I'm pretty certain you won't find one.

Disappointed by the loss, but the reality is that the margin is a pretty fair reflection of the talent gap between the teams.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Before you accuse the staff of failing to prepare the team for the junk defense that ND threw at us, show me one minute of tape of ND running that defense, against anybody, at any time in the last five seasons. Just one minute. I'm pretty certain you won't find one.

Disappointed by the loss, but the reality is that the margin is a pretty fair reflection of the talent gap between the teams.
    I agree there is a talent gap. I don't think it's with the players.

The great tactitians prepare for everything they would do if coaching against their own team and have a counter punch ready. I've definitely seen my share of less talented teams accomplishing great things with a great game plan which includes in game adjustments. I'm just not gonna say when I last saw this happen at DWB.

I watch probably 5 to 8 DWB games a year. That means that they are usually the big games. What troubles me is how often they get blown out. It's difficult to see a top 10 team be completely out of the game with 10 minutes left to play. Is that Coach P's fault? Maybe, maybe not.

Maybe Salvadores is the player that fills the talent gap and takes Duke over the top. She basically willed the Spanish Team to a close loss to the US team. Hopefully she'll carry D against UCONN and others.

Quote Originally Posted by AIM4excellence View Post
    I agree there is a talent gap. I don't think it's with the players.
    Wow. I have no idea how to respond to that.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Wow. I have no idea how to respond to that.
    Yup. Amazing how this garbage never seemed to come up after our several victories over ranked opponents this season. Just to be clear: we're totally OK with a Duke coach being grossly insulted on this board? Mods, everyone else? You all consider this (utterly unmerited) hatefulness copacetic?