Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 80, Syracuse 72 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

The refs won it for us. [/bilas]

Jay must be terribly disappointed.

I think Elvis had a song about this.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Always good to shoot over 60% in a half. Nice win. Showing their toughness to come back. This team is growing up big time.

Cause started 7-10 from three. Went 1-12 after. Yay regression to the mean. It had to happen in one of these games.
    Pratt '09
    GO DUKE!

I like Duke's chances of making the NCAA Tournament now.

Weathered the storm of a fired up Gbinje and Syracuse in the first half.
    Played our game throughout and prevailed in a tough contest.

Quinn continues to amaze me with his leadership, will to win, and focus.
    Okafor played a great game, Tyus continues to quietly drive the bus, and Winslow is just a freak of nature.

Great win, hard fought and earned.

This looked like a mature team tonight. Very pleased with the poise after getting down in 1st half. Quinn continues to lead by example and bring toughness when needed. Proud of these boys tonight!

I gotta say I don't think the refs were biased to either team. They called the game equally terribly both ways. The players clearly had no idea if they had to play off or if they could play aggressively, due to the bipolar nature of the calls.
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevil View Post
    I gotta say I don't think the refs were biased to either team. They called the game equally terribly both ways. The players clearly had no idea if they had to play off or if they could play aggressively, due to the bipolar nature of the calls.
    The refs' refusal to call Okafor's fifth definitely evened things out a bit
    Last edited by Duvall; 02-14-2015 at 08:36 PM.

A good road win, even if it was ugly. Not always pretty, but a tough situation for anything other than ugly basketball.

Now...on to the true story of the game. The ACC should be ashamed of the refs that they are putting in the court this season. Strong statement? Yes. But I think it is fair to say that most of us fans are getting tired of such a contrast between the caliber of basketball (or potential basketball) being played and the refs on the court.

When every game turns into this head scratching, throw your hands up in frustration at how things are being called and not called, it gets old and fast.

PS If Christmas had travelled one more time without it being called...sigh...
    Windy City Devil

Michael Gb has had 6 minutes off total in the last 5 games. Dang. 27 points? Why didn't we recruit him?

Anyhoo...

A win for the good guys and a loss by the cheaters to The Glowering Hair makes for a pretty good day.

Always like to see us get big wins on the road against solid teams, so this was good for that.

Always hate to see games where the officiating is terrible, especially when it's so terrible AND lopsided in one team's favor that it easily could make the better team not win, so this was awful because it was exactly that.

Very Good Win

Very Good Win for Duke!
    Grayson made 2 huge free-throws at the end. Big time.
    Matt Jones with some nice drives and clutch shooting. He actually looked comfortable taking it to the basket a little bit today. Dug out that low pass for a key three too.
    Much prefer having Winslow (vs. Amile) at the free throw line on offense vs. the 2-3 zone, since Amile's inability to have developed any type of offensive game outside of 2-feet from the basket really limits his effectiveness. Still time next season for him to add this to his game I'm hoping.
    Tyus Jones played under control and made some nice, solid plays.
    Duke went to the "stall ball" like always, but think that wasting away 25-28 seconds of the shot clock with still 8+ minutes left in the game was a bit early, even for K, as Duke went through a stretch there where we just weren't running any offense.

For SU: Gbinije played with such fluidity. Found myself wishing he would be at Duke for next year, especially if T. Jones goes pro! Cooney was throwing up some outside prayers (Does he ever make those shots while falling sideways? Not even JJ would make those). Christmas missed lots of "easy ones" right around the basket. Doesn't have near the touch of Okafor (at least in this game).

Nice composure and overall a very good win!!!!

Happy to see Grayson make several good plays. With only 8 scholarship players, they all need to contribute. Jah was a man among boys (mostly). Another important road win. Beginning to look as though we could win out -- that would be great!

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    A truly absurd statement, as the officiating was atrocious on both ends. Both Christmas and Roberson could have fouled out twice.

From an 11-point deficit to an eight-point win OK with me.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Maybe they didn't call a 5th because his 4th was a complete joke. I agree, though, that Okafor got away with at least 1 foul after that horrible 4th one was called.

I like Duke's chances of making the NCAA Tournament now.
    HaHa - our guards are super; that should carry us to at least the sweet16. Coupled with a true center, we should have all the parts this year.