Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MBB: Duke at Syracuse (Sat Feb 14, 6 pm ET, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Let's get this ball rolling.

Last season we had some quality Syracuse fans posting here for our games against them. Hopefully they return.

Will be a little bit awkward to see Sheed's buzzer-beater amid the reminder highlights ESPN will show of last season's great game between Duke and Syracuse in the Carrier Dome.

For this year's Duke team, if we're ever going to show consistent dominance in the regular season, it will probably begin now. We've had extra days this week to re-charge and prepare, and Duke's schedule from here on out follows Coach K's preferred old-school Sat / Wed model. No more 1-day turnarounds. No more 3 games in 6 days.

Let's Go Duke!

One huge point of interest in this game will be the battle between the ACC's top two centers, Okafor and Rakeem Christmas.

Christmas actually currently holds the edge in counting stats (points, rebounds, blocks): http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...acc-conference

Christmas has had a wonderful season, upping his scoring from 5.8 ppg last season to 18.0 ppg this season. And he continues to protect the basket along the backline of Syracuse's zone by averaging 2.4 blocks a game.

syracuse isn't a good team this year. duke rolls.

Plus we'll give SU a taste of their own zone medicine
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

This will be funny... can't wait

Granting your first sentence, your second may not necessarily follow. Syracuse fans are pretty loyal and will likely turn out in great numbers and full voice to see their team play Duke. The Carrier Dome is an unusual playing environment. The Christmas-Okafor matchup, as already noted, is an interesting one. And Gbinije has been playing well recently and will likely be especially motivated to demonstrate his worth to his former coach. I am optimistic (though not certain) about a Duke win, but I am not counting on an easy win.

Why do posters insist on saying this before almost every game?

Duke Should Win

Syracuse still manages to keep everything close. Boeheim's system is like Bennett's in that it slows down the other team and keeps margins tight, which always gives Syracuse a chance to steal the game at the end. But the talent just isn't there this year. Syracuse is, like last year when the schedule toughened late, going to come crashing down in the conference standings, and Duke is going to start it off. If you can play even half as well in the last five minutes as you did at the JPJ, you will win by 8+.

I just ask you, please, keep the second or third seed. It's important for my preferred season narrative.

How much snow is predicted for up there? Hope the team travel isn't impacted.

I really do feel very sorry for all you up northers, yikes.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Does their program even care right now? Outside of possible NBA stock I don't see the motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke3517 View Post
    Does their program even care right now? Outside of possible NBA stock I don't see the motivation.
    Well, as someone mentioned in a different thread, the Duke game is now Cuse's ACC and national championship game. I think bragging rights are a pretty big motivator, especially in front of 80,000 fans. I don't think this will be an easy game by any stretch.
    Last edited by Rich; 02-13-2015 at 09:38 AM. Reason: grammar
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Granting your first sentence, your second may not necessarily follow. Syracuse fans are pretty loyal and will likely turn out in great numbers and full voice to see their team play Duke. The Carrier Dome is an unusual playing environment. The Christmas-Okafor matchup, as already noted, is an interesting one. And Gbinije has been playing well recently and will likely be especially motivated to demonstrate his worth to his former coach. I am optimistic (though not certain) about a Duke win, but I am not counting on an easy win.
    In addition to all of those factors, Syracuse will be playing with nothing to lose. So we can expect a loose, energized team in front of a Saturday night crowd playing like there is no tomorrow (because there isn't one).

What I'll be looking for is (1) whether we can match Syracuse's energy; and (2) whether we can keep and extend the lead once we make a run. The second issue is where we fell down against Florida State and Notre Dame on the road. We need to stay in attack mode until we put them away. I want to see us push the ball in transition as much as possible to beat their zone down the court, and attack the rim even in the half court.

Another thing to look for on offense is whether we use Winslow in the middle of the 2-3 zone, and how he performs there. Last year Hood and Parker both had some success hitting jumpers from the middle of the zone and attacking the basket from that space as well. Winslow would seem to be the guy to use in that spot (though he doesn't really shoot the midrange jumper). An interesting idea (though it's one I doubt we'll see) is putting Jahlil in the middle of the paint and using Jefferson in the low post. Jah is a great passer and could really distribute the ball from that spot -- sort of like how Georgetown uses its bigs (think Greg Monroe in the pivot spot).

On defense, I think we could very well continue to see mostly the aggressive man-to-man we played against ND and to some extent against FSU. Syracuse does not have the outside shooting it had a year ago, but neither does it have guards that can beat us consistently off the dribble. And we might be able to pressure them into mistakes. These guys turn the ball over a little bit.

Carrier Dome sold out

Despite the current temp of - 4 degrees the Carrier Dome is sold out again for us. It will be full with 35,446 rabid SU fans. It won't be easy tomorrow night...

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Why do posters insist on saying this before almost every game?
    because they realize something posted on a message board has literally no effect on the outcome of the game?

Further, it's true.

Syracuse's ACC wins:
    VT...2 points
    GT...1 point
    wake...OT
    BC...8 points
    VT...2 points
    BC...14 points

their best win is against Iowa (3 points) back in november...and they've barely kept up with some VERY mediocre ACC teams, and are a couple shots away from being 3-8 in the ACC...but they own BC...so there's that?

Might they give duke a game? yeah. depends on if duke's defense shows up. We didn't have issues playing in the carrier dome last year (aside from the fundamental problems that plagued the team all year anyway), and I don't expect any this year. I do, however, expect syracuse to go no better than 2-4 over their next 6.
    April 1

because they realize something posted on a message board has literally no effect on the outcome of the game?

Further, it's true.

Syracuse's ACC wins:
    VT...2 points
    GT...1 point
    wake...OT
    BC...8 points
    VT...2 points
    BC...14 points

their best win is against Iowa (3 points) back in november...and they've barely kept up with some VERY mediocre ACC teams, and are a couple shots away from being 3-8 in the ACC...but they own BC...so there's that?

Might they give duke a game? yeah. depends on if duke's defense shows up. We didn't have issues playing in the carrier dome last year (aside from the fundamental problems that plagued the team all year anyway), and I don't expect any this year. I do, however, expect syracuse to go no better than 2-4 over their next 6.
    Of course the message board does not influence the game. I am with you there.

But we've played tough games against some teams that aren't much better (if at all) than Syracuse.

And by the way, your run down of 'Cuse's wins left out their 13 point win over FSU who just gave Duke a pretty good game no?

Relatedly, you could compile a very similar looking list for FSU's wins:

Clemson +4
    Va Tech +11, +8
    Miami +1
    Wake +6 in OT

Most interesting matchup

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    One huge point of interest in this game will be the battle between the ACC's top two centers, Okafor and Rakeem Christmas.

Christmas actually currently holds the edge in counting stats (points, rebounds, blocks): http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...acc-conference

Christmas has had a wonderful season, upping his scoring from 5.8 ppg last season to 18.0 ppg this season. And he continues to protect the basket along the backline of Syracuse's zone by averaging 2.4 blocks a game.
    Christmas likes to get inside and use his hook with either hand. At this point in his development, his defense is superior to Jahlil's. Could he get Jahlil into foul trouble? Will we go to a zone to slow him down? Will their zone be effective at minimizing Jahlil's offensive contribution inside? I note that Syracuse gets back on defense very well so we will have to work for our shots. Hope our guys are hitting from outside as our major advantage should be with our guards. Anyone thinking this is an easy game for us is a little delusional. We are on the road, facing a competitive team with a zone better than any other we have seen so far this year. They do have weaknesses and it is up to our coaches to find ways to exploit them.

Quote Originally Posted by Monmouth77 View Post
    Of course the message board does not influence the game. I am with you there.

But we've played tough games against some teams that aren't much better (if at all) than Syracuse.

And by the way, your run down of 'Cuse's wins left out their 13 point win over FSU who just gave Duke a pretty good game no?

Relatedly, you could compile a very similar looking list for FSU's wins:

Clemson +4
    Va Tech +11, +8
    Miami +1
    Wake +6 in OT
    you're right! oops.
    April 1

We need to squeeze the Orange to a pulp like clockwork until they have no juice left, leaving their agents a seed of doubt.

Okay, I'm done here, with apologies to all.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    We need to squeeze the Orange to a pulp like clockwork until they have no juice left, leaving their agents a seed of doubt.

Did the Crazies have signs reading "Clock the Orange" for Boeheim's visit last season? A chant?

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post

I find this line of thinking very a-peeling.

Wondering now if moonpie will post like he did pre-f$u and wonder which, if any/all, scenarios will apply such as who'll have a "career" game, if SU will shoot "lights out" on 3s (he was right about both of these, IIRC), how/if we'll get out-rebounded and one other stat I can't recall.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

On paper, Syracuse's resume doesn't look great, and they currently sit at a lackluster #61 in the KenPom ratings, which includes a pretty bad 105 on offense and a comparatively better 57 on defense (by comparison, we are at 60 on D). Based on what little I have seen, it seems like they don't have much offensive firepower this season. I suspect their D could be effective in disrupting Jah, particularly since Christmas is probably one of the better centers he'll face this year. They will force us to beat them with the 3 ball, which is probably their (and anyone else's, really) best strategy against us this year. If the shots are falling, I think it will be difficult for Cuse to score with us. If they're not, it could be a tough battle. Of course, standard caveats apply here that anything can happen in one game.