Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 228
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    I was a huge fan of Breaking Bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    I guess I've been expecting something more of the cliffhanger, tense drama variety, though I agree that the final scene in the restaurant when the underworld character invites Mike to change his testimony does portend some developments along this line. Maybe I'm just the boor who can't appreciate the poignant subtleties. I'll adjust my focus and see if that helps.
    How big a fan of Breaking Bad were you?
    Anyone who watched BB should be able to easily recognize "the underworld character" from the final scene in the restaurant.

    I loved that bell in the diner signaled the entrance of this underworld character -- just brilliant on the part of the BCS writers.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue KevIL View Post
    How big a fan of Breaking Bad were you?
    Anyone who watched BB should be able to easily recognize "the underworld character" from the final scene in the restaurant.

    I loved that bell in the diner signaled the entrance of this underworld character -- just brilliant on the part of the BCS writers.
    I did actually recognize him but I still can't place him. Which character was he?

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    I did actually recognize him but I still can't place him. Which character was he?
    The character's actual name is Hector "Tio" Salamanca.
    He is Tuco's uncle and was once a drug kingpin who spent many years in prison.
    In BB, he was unable to walk or talk because of a stroke and was confined to a wheelchair.
    His only means of communication was ringing a bell attached to his wheelchair.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue KevIL View Post
    The character's actual name is Hector "Tio" Salamanca.
    He is Tuco's uncle and was once a drug kingpin who spent many years in prison.
    In BB, he was unable to walk or talk because of a stroke and was confined to a wheelchair.
    His only means of communication was ringing a bell attached to his wheelchair.
    Yes, now I remember. The explosion that killed him blew off half of Gus' face. That'll be great if they do a prequel of some of those characters and activity. They ought to bring Walter back for a scene in which he was still teaching high school and before he was diagnosed, with Jesse a student in the class.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    I did actually recognize him but I still can't place him. Which character was he?

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Yes, I expect him to have more to say this time around, and that the depth of his depravity will not be obscured by his having had a stroke, as was the case before. Looking forward to his interaction with Mike, the character always one step ahead of/faster than everybody else. I made the mistake with Breaking Bad of seeing a post-series picture of the final characters while I was still watching the earlier episodes. It ruined the suspense a little because by seeing which characters made it to the end I knew they couldn't die in earlier episodes. By this same reasoning we know that Mike cannot die since this is a prequel to Breaking Bad.

  7. #67
    Not sure if it has been mentioned, but there is a Better Call Saul podcast which has select writers, cast, and Vince Gilligan on it weekly. Worth a listen for some nice background on the making of the show.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    I guess I've been expecting something more of the cliffhanger, tense drama variety, though I agree that the final scene in the restaurant when the underworld character invites Mike to change his testimony does portend some developments along this line. Maybe I'm just the boor who can't appreciate the poignant subtleties. I'll adjust my focus and see if that helps.
    Nah, I know a few non-boorish Breaking Bad fans who aren't in love with Better Call Saul right now either, at least WRT the Jimmy half of the show. I would expect that you're still enjoying the Mike half of the show because it's more similar to the hard-boiled crime drama that we're used to seeing from the BB days.

    To a certain extent, the Jimmy half of the show isn't quite what anybody expected going in. We thought we'd see a "criminal lawyer" making unscrupulous deals to keep scumbag clients out of jail (and sometimes to put scumbag clients into jail where appropriate, e.g. the fake Heisenberg scheme Saul hatched with Walt and Jesse in season 2 of BB). But, so far, through 1.5 seasons, Saul Goodman has not emerged yet (although he's getting close), and instead we have Jimmy McGill and an exploration of Jimmy's relationship with his brother Chuck and Jimmy's relationship with the love of his life Kim. All of which is a bit touchy-feely if you're going in expecting a hard-boiled crime drama. So even though I personally like the 1.5 seasons so far, I think I understand those that don't.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Last night, the show took a few big steps, IMO. A natural separation is developing between Jimmy and his beau; Jimmy chose to return to the uncomfortable but cozy confines of his nail salon home rather than the lush confines of his private law life; and Mike stood up to the people that may allow him to segue into a new career once and for all.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Jimmy and his beau belle


  11. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Thanks, Swood.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Last night, the show took a few big steps, IMO. A natural separation is developing between Jimmy and his beau; Jimmy chose to return to the uncomfortable but cozy confines of his nail salon home rather than the lush confines of his private law life; and Mike stood up to the people that may allow him to segue into a new career once and for all.
    I thought it was interesting that Kim seems hesitant to take the Schweikart job offer. In discussing it with Jimmy at the end of the episode, she (seemingly) randomly brought up the fact that she had influenced Jimmy to change course and take the Davis & Main job (that he now loathes) because prior to that, he was happy floating in pools, satisfied that he had everything he needed and was ready to embark on a fulfilling (to him) career as a grifting lawyer.

    Her comment would be a non-sequitur, except that maybe she means that she is now considering passing up her dream job at Schweikart due to Jimmy's influence. Why would that be, though? Two possibilities:

    (1) The boring possibility. Kim just flat out doesn't trust Schweikart. The timing of the job offer is too coincidental, and no matter what he says now, Kim believes she will be pressured to help out on Sandpiper. She does have knowledge of something damaging, and that is the fact that Jimmy solicited clients on that Sandpiper bus, an act that could disbar Jimmy. Kim doesn't want to place herself in a position where she might be pressured to betray HHM or Jimmy.

    (2) The more fun possibility. The Jimmy side of Kim -- the one that loves the grift as much as he does -- is winning out. Saul Goodman will emerge at the end of this season, and he will have a partner. The law firm of Goodman & Wexler, and Season 3 will be about the hijinks they get into as they build up their practice.

    Anyhow, Mike was awesome in this episode. The carbon paper under the welcome mat. Sniffing out which room the intruders were in and luring them out with the TV. Threatening Tio Salamanca to get his $50K.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I thought it was interesting that Kim seems hesitant to take the Schweikart job offer. In discussing it with Jimmy at the end of the episode, she (seemingly) randomly brought up the fact that she had influenced Jimmy to change course and take the Davis & Main job (that he now loathes) because prior to that, he was happy floating in pools, satisfied that he had everything he needed and was ready to embark on a fulfilling (to him) career as a grifting lawyer.

    Her comment would be a non-sequitur, except that maybe she means that she is now considering passing up her dream job at Schweikart due to Jimmy's influence. Why would that be, though? Two possibilities:

    (1) The boring possibility. Kim just flat out doesn't trust Schweikart. The timing of the job offer is too coincidental, and no matter what he says now, Kim believes she will be pressured to help out on Sandpiper. She does have knowledge of something damaging, and that is the fact that Jimmy solicited clients on that Sandpiper bus, an act that could disbar Jimmy. Kim doesn't want to place herself in a position where she might be pressured to betray HHM or Jimmy.

    (2) The more fun possibility. The Jimmy side of Kim -- the one that loves the grift as much as he does -- is winning out. Saul Goodman will emerge at the end of this season, and he will have a partner. The law firm of Goodman & Wexler, and Season 3 will be about the hijinks they get into as they build up their practice.

    Anyhow, Mike was awesome in this episode. The carbon paper under the welcome mat. Sniffing out which room the intruders were in and luring them out with the TV. Threatening Tio Salamanca to get his $50K.
    All great possibilities. I'm leaning toward #1, I don't see Kim getting caught up with the hustle of Jimmy. I think #1 is the most feasible way we get Jimmy to Saul, but that seems to easy for these writers and I expect something more in depth and this seems like this will keep up the slow burn they've been using the last 1.5 seasons.

    As I watched the episode, I thought to myself that Mike is certified badass. He has a very Clint Eastwood quality about him, an even tone, honest and can get his hands dirty if need be.

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachBlueDevil View Post
    All great possibilities. I'm leaning toward #1, I don't see Kim getting caught up with the hustle of Jimmy. I think #1 is the most feasible way we get Jimmy to Saul, but that seems to easy for these writers and I expect something more in depth and this seems like this will keep up the slow burn they've been using the last 1.5 seasons.
    Might there be another way for Kim to get caught up in the hustle? One of their restaurant-bar marks might end up being a client for HHM or for Schweikart. That could turn out poorly.

  15. #75
    I am a big fan of Breaking Bad and was a pretty big fan of Season 1 of Better Call Saul. I'm still a fan of Season 2, but not quite as much so. Perhaps it's because I'm an attorney at a bigger firm for a mid-sized city, but the New Mexico law firm world portrayed in Season 2 just doesn't ring as authentic or true to me, which makes some of those scenes a little more like many other TV legal dramas, albeit still with better dialogue, character development, and acting. Maybe, if I were a meth kingpin, I would have said the same about Breaking Bad, although I have seen some articles where real underworld people praised that series as authentic.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I thought it was interesting that Kim seems hesitant to take the Schweikart job offer. In discussing it with Jimmy at the end of the episode, she (seemingly) randomly brought up the fact that she had influenced Jimmy to change course and take the Davis & Main job (that he now loathes) because prior to that, he was happy floating in pools, satisfied that he had everything he needed and was ready to embark on a fulfilling (to him) career as a grifting lawyer.

    Her comment would be a non-sequitur, except that maybe she means that she is now considering passing up her dream job at Schweikart due to Jimmy's influence. Why would that be, though?
    I took it as an explanation of why she was relenting in her rejection of Jimmy's calls that she realizes she has been trying to push Jimmy into a mold that he just doesn't fit and it has been unfair to him and she's now ready to accept Jimmy as Jimmy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Two possibilities:

    (1) The boring possibility. Kim just flat out doesn't trust Schweikart. The timing of the job offer is too coincidental, and no matter what he says now, Kim believes she will be pressured to help out on Sandpiper. She does have knowledge of something damaging, and that is the fact that Jimmy solicited clients on that Sandpiper bus, an act that could disbar Jimmy. Kim doesn't want to place herself in a position where she might be pressured to betray HHM or Jimmy.
    Not just soliciting clients but also manufacturing evidence (the video he created to put the investigators off his client's track). But Schweikart said that he wasn't going to ask for her help on that case and I don't know that she would have any ethical obligation to disclose it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    (2) The more fun possibility. The Jimmy side of Kim -- the one that loves the grift as much as he does -- is winning out. Saul Goodman will emerge at the end of this season, and he will have a partner. The law firm of Goodman & Wexler, and Season 3 will be about the hijinks they get into as they build up their practice.
    I don't think that Kim is ethically challenged, as Jimmy is. She loves playing tricks on the "marks" but not for significant pecuniary gain (not more than enough to buy drinks for the house). I think she said she was not going to cash the check but frame it. I think she'll flirt with the Schweikart offer until something happens to show her how evil he and his firm are. She will flirt with jumping to the wild side with Jimmy but finally realize that that's not her way. Then HHM will offer to make her a partner and she'll stay. I kind of anticipate more time elapsing before we get to Saul Goodman, though we could get there and still have many flashback episodes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Anyhow, Mike was awesome in this episode. The carbon paper under the welcome mat. Sniffing out which room the intruders were in and luring them out with the TV. Threatening Tio Salamanca to get his $50K.
    Mike's great. He took the $50K promising to say that the gun did not belong to the other guy, but if he claims it he can go to jail. How is he going to get out of this one?

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Beach
    Great show tonight... It looks as if a rift is growing between Kim and Jimmy with the proposal at the end of the episode.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachBlueDevil View Post
    Great show tonight... It looks as if a rift is growing between Kim and Jimmy with the proposal at the end of the episode.
    Just watched it. Definitely one of the better episodes of the season, with great humor (Jimmy's let's-get-fired montage!) and a good pace to the events.

    Not sure why Jimmy is hesitating on accepting Kim's proposal. It is probably partially ego. If Kim took the Schweikart job, he could write it off as Kim is unwilling to take risks in general and prefers settling into a partner-track position. But with her together-but-separate proposal, she definitely is willing to accept the risks associated with becoming one's own boss and building up a firm from scratch, but it is specifically working with Jimmy that is too risky. Still, can he blame her?

    Interesting that Mike is watching Hector and planning to move against him somehow. Is this because Mike didn't exactly claim to be the owner of the gun? I thought it was wonderful how mad Mike got at Jimmy (not wanting to share an elevator) because Jimmy dared to compare their situations of knuckling under to Tuco. Mike is not a coward; he would've chased goons from his house for eternity, but the Salamancas got to him by threatening his granddaughter. I guess that could be Mike's motive for stalking Hector. You don't threaten his granddaughter.

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    The Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Just watched it. Definitely one of the better episodes of the season, with great humor (Jimmy's let's-get-fired montage!) and a good pace to the events.

    Not sure why Jimmy is hesitating on accepting Kim's proposal. It is probably partially ego. If Kim took the Schweikart job, he could write it off as Kim is unwilling to take risks in general and prefers settling into a partner-track position. But with her together-but-separate proposal, she definitely is willing to accept the risks associated with becoming one's own boss and building up a firm from scratch, but it is specifically working with Jimmy that is too risky. Still, can he blame her?

    Interesting that Mike is watching Hector and planning to move against him somehow. Is this because Mike didn't exactly claim to be the owner of the gun? I thought it was wonderful how mad Mike got at Jimmy (not wanting to share an elevator) because Jimmy dared to compare their situations of knuckling under to Tuco. Mike is not a coward; he would've chased goons from his house for eternity, but the Salamancas got to him by threatening his granddaughter. I guess that could be Mike's motive for stalking Hector. You don't threaten his granddaughter.
    The Jimmy montage of him trying to get fired is so far my favorite moment of the season and his exchange with Cliff as he was getting fired was good stuff too. As far as Kim coming back to Jimmy with her proposal, I think Jimmy is hesitating because when she said "No" to his proposal, he then figured it was time to go "all in" and do whatever he need to become the "wolf" like we saw in opening.

    The evolution of Mike this season has been fun. I like where we are headed with the Salamanca's. Mike has a very Clint Eastwood quality to him, doesn't say a whole lot, but when he does it means something.

    Also, how many episodes are left? Can't be more than a couple at this point.

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Loved the season finale, and both stories ended in major cliffhangers where the audience has more knowledge than the main characters Jimmy and Mike. With Mike, because we know Mike's future, we have a pretty good guess as to who left that shocking note on his windshield. (And, as it turns out, we would be correct in that guess.)

    With Jimmy, we knew he was walking into a trap, a Faraday cage trap, at the end of the episode. It's not just because it was the final 5 minutes of the season finale and therefore something major/shocking was about to happen. I feel like the writers have done a great job over the course of the season showing us that Chuck is capable of this moment, of pulling off a Jimmy-like con to get his brother to confess on tape. From Chuck's ability to instantly recognize that his brother was behind the "1261 to 1216" con (i.e. he sees all the same angles as Jimmy), to his smooth-talking of Mesa Verde to get them to dump Kim and come back to HHM, Chuck is someone who can scheme and talk and grift just as eloquently as Jimmy but, until this Faraday cage scheme, has chosen to play it straight. It's similar to how Season 1 showed us that Jimmy could be as great a straight-playing lawyer as Chuck if he wanted to be. These two are both brilliant and are brothers for sure, and it'll be quite interesting to see what happens as their war continues to escalate in Season 3.

    Oh, and Mike's watcher / windshield-note-leaver will finally appear in Season 3. Can't wait!

Similar Threads

  1. A Call to the Crazies
    By UrinalCake in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-03-2013, 08:58 PM
  2. Just got the call!
    By OZZIE4DUKE in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-28-2010, 12:03 PM
  3. Harry Potter SPOILERS !!! REPEAT SPOILERS!!
    By Windsor in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 08-21-2007, 04:12 PM
  4. Harry Potter SPOILERS !!! REPEAT SPOILERS!!
    By Windsor in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-19-2007, 07:58 AM
  5. Potter book spoilers (no spoilers in this post)
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-18-2007, 02:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •