Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Thanks.

I figured Jimmy was his real name. I just wasn't sure how he got the new name. Cool.
    But that's not how he explained why he changed the name in Breaking Bad. He said he changed it because people preferred Jewish lawyers.

Yes, but . .

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    But that's not how he explained why he changed the name in Breaking Bad. He said he changed it because people preferred Jewish lawyers.
    We (BB watchers) knew he was Jimmy and that he said he changed his name because people preferred Jewish lawyers - that only explains why he selected a Jewish name. On BCS, we'll find out the exact circumstances that led to the name change.

So far I'm really liking the show. The connections to BB have been really fun - the Cinnabon* Mike, and Tuco.

In the penultimate episode of BB, Saul is being given a new identity and says something to the effect of "if I'm lucky I'll end up as a manager of a Cinnabon in Omaha". So the beginning flash-forward is a reference to that. Whether he's actually in Omaha is for the viewer to speculate. I definitely got a kick out of seeing him as a Cinnabon manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
    We (BB watchers) knew he was Jimmy and that he said he changed his name because people preferred Jewish lawyers - that only explains why he selected a Jewish name. On BCS, we'll find out the exact circumstances that led to the name change.

So far I'm really liking the show. The connections to BB have been really fun - the Cinnabon* Mike, and Tuco.

In the penultimate episode of BB, Saul is being given a new identity and says something to the effect of "if I'm lucky I'll end up as a manager of a Cinnabon in Omaha". So the beginning flash-forward is a reference to that. Whether he's actually in Omaha is for the viewer to speculate. I definitely got a kick out of seeing him as a Cinnabon manager.
    Not much speculation required as there's a big Nebraska sign on the Cinnabon logo...not sure I want that man fondling by Cinnabons.

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Not much speculation required as there's a big Nebraska sign on the Cinnabon logo...not sure I want that man fondling by Cinnabons.
    Yeah, I was pretty sure it was Omaha . . .

Article about the BB references here (fun stuff, but spoilers abound if you haven't watched the first episode).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...innabon-770923

Didn't see Breaking Bad, so I wasn't sure what to make out of the first two episodes (esp. #1) for Better Call Saul, but I'm glad to see the enthusiastic comments of others. Could be an interesting series.

I'm probably the last person on Earth who is currently watching Breaking Bad fro the first time. I'm about a third of the way through.

For those that are still watching or may watch in the future, can we make sure we are careful of spoilers? Both in Breaking Bad, and for those that might be watching Better Call Saul a few days late?

I'm enjoying both series. The writing and character development is terrific.

In about the fourth or fifth Breaking Bad episode, we were having some trouble with making out some dialog and chose to turn on the closed captions. We found that it sheds a little light on some things. First, it tells the artist and song title of the background music, and occasionally the lyrics -- the closed captioning calls attention to irony or details that we otherwise would have missed. Secondly, it will translate singing and some background speaking in Spanish to English. One long intro to an early episode was about a minute or two of nice singing in Spanish. Turns out, it was quite the ode to Heisenberg. Third, it will make you aware of some background noises you might not otherwise have paid attention to. It seems like we pick up one or two details in each episode we watch. Nothing ground-breaking, but an incredible attention to detail by the writers.

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    For those that are still watching or may watch in the future, can we make sure we are careful of spoilers? Both in Breaking Bad, and for those that might be watching Better Call Saul a few days late?
    I (might) want to honor this request, but depending on exactly what you're asking, it might be a real big request.

Are you asking us:

(1) not to refer to BB in this Saul thread, e.g., not to say, "Oh, now I understand why Saul did X in BB...."

(2) not to post comments on Saul episodes until several days have passed?

As I thought BB brilliant, and as I am hopeful that Saul links to BB as brilliantly as the TV series "Fargo" did to the film, naturally I want to post things that might/will constitute spoilers for you and others.

It's an interesting dilemma, and there may well be a conflict of interests here. In which case, I will back off, as I genuinely don't want to spoil either BB or Saul for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I (might) want to honor this request, but depending on exactly what you're asking, it might be a real big request.

Are you asking us:

(1) not to refer to BB in this Saul thread, e.g., not to say, "Oh, now I understand why Saul did X in BB...."

(2) not to post comments on Saul episodes until several days have passed?

As I thought BB brilliant, and as I am hopeful that Saul links to BB as brilliantly as the TV series "Fargo" did to the film, naturally I want to post things that might/will constitute spoilers for you and others.

It's an interesting dilemma, and there may well be a conflict of interests here. In which case, I will back off, as I genuinely don't want to spoil either BB or Saul for anyone.
    To me, there are major plot spoilers and minor spoilers that won't make a huge impact on the enjoyment of watching it for the first time. If we can avoid the major spoilers for BB, that'd be awesome.

We also have to be respectful for those that don't watch live. Not sure how long to give...and how much of a burden to put on the thread readers to just not click on the thread until they've watched the next episode. What sounds fair?

There might be a happy medium: we have a spoiler tag. The results look like this:

Spoiler!

To use this, type: [ spoiler ]This is a test of the spoiler tag.[ / spoiler]
    Remove the spaces within the square brackets. Be sure to note whether it's a BB or BCS spoiler.

Does that help? I don't want to stifle discussion, but then again, I'm not done with BB (though I could be the only one).

With any luck, I'll make quite a bit of progress on BB tomorrow, as I'll likely be iced in.

Thumbs up

I love the show, have not seen BB properly all the way through but it doesn't really make me feel like I'm missing out on much. I found a list of about 5 things one should know if they haven't seen BB that fills in some of the details to make BCS more enjoyable but I think they've pretty much been covered here. If I recollect, he didn't just change his name to Saul so he would have a Jewish-sounding name as a lawyer, it is a play on s'all Good Man. And quoting him "The Jew thing I do for the homeboys. They all want a pipe-hitting member of the tribe." I think that's hilarious and get a huge kick out of the show. The two BB main characters hired him because he was not just a Criminal Lawyer, but he was a CRIMINAL Lawyer lolz!

Sorry if there were spoilers in any of that - I think that once an episode has aired it's fair game to discuss here. Those who watch it late shouldn't go on this thread or any other website like avclub if they don't want to know what happens. That said, I'd love to have people weigh in on episodes and the show in general as it's becoming one of my favorite shows even though I've only seen three episodes and haven't seen BB.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    You DIDN'T like Breaking Bad? I got into in waaay late, just finished binge watching on Netflix a few weeks ago. One of the best shows I have ever seen.
    I'm in that group too. Saw season one and it was just really boring. Could not force myself to keep watching
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Ok, watched both episodes. I'm in. Odenkirk is terrific and the gang member who makes the proposition is also a very good actor.
    Good stuff, hope it sticks around.

Far more entertaining than the laughably bad Blacklist. Although, Blacklist has become "must ridicule" tv in our house. It's so darned awful that we hate ourselves for watching it. Delish!
    Loved BB but won't see BCS until it arrives on Netflix, HULU or Amazon Prime. In regard to Blacklist I pretty much agree with your description but that is one of the few shows my wife and watch together when she temporarily runs out of Vampire, Werewolf, and Zombie shows. She doesn't like Mad Men, House of Cards or Orange is the new Black so I watch those online. But when I started watching The Americans I thought this might work for the wife because it has the same sort of intrigue but with better acting and plot lines. As it turns out I was wrong as apparently The Americans is too "real life" for her. Anyway I'll recommend it to you as well in hopes that you enjoy it more than she. It took her awhile to get into BB too but eventually she overcame the real lifeness of it. I think The Americans is available on both HULU and Amazon Prime but I'm not sure about Netflix. It airs originally on FX like the greatest show currently on television - Justified!

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Loved BB but won't see BCS until it arrives on Netflix, HULU or Amazon Prime. In regard to Blacklist I pretty much agree with your description but that is one of the few shows my wife and watch together when she temporarily runs out of Vampire, Werewolf, and Zombie shows. She doesn't like Mad Men, House of Cards or Orange is the new Black so I watch those online. But when I started watching The Americans I thought this might work for the wife because it has the same sort of intrigue but with better acting and plot lines. As it turns out I was wrong as apparently The Americans is too "real life" for her. Anyway I'll recommend it to you as well in hopes that you enjoy it more than she. It took her awhile to get into BB too but eventually she overcame the real lifeness of it. I think The Americans is available on both HULU and Amazon Prime but I'm not sure about Netflix. It airs originally on FX like the greatest show currently on television - Justified!
    Justified is in its last season, right?

I miss Longmire, myself.

I am so going to miss Raylan Givens when Justified ends. I have a serious crush on him. It drives me nuts when my husband interrupts my affair with Raylan to ask questions about other characters.

Boyd will bite the big one and I think Ava goes to her hair salon in the sky.

Does Raylan make the cut and get to go to FL?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I am so going to miss Raylan Givens when Justified ends. I have a serious crush on him. It drives me nuts when my husband interrupts my affair with Raylan to ask questions about other characters.

Boyd will bite the big one and I think Ava goes to her hair salon in the sky.

Does Raylan make the cut and get to go to FL?
    I would hate a lame "Happy ending" but the redneck mafia thing in Harlan County has to continue so I think Boyd somehow survives to be King of the mountain by taking out Wynn Duffy and the other out of mafia carpet baggers (I like Boyd and Ava). Maybe Raylan looks the other way in the end for his old "friend". I'd like Raylan to retire to FL to be with Wynnona and the baby only to have some mob guy from the past try take him out. Raylan blows him away and realizes that he's not cut out a family man and goes back to the fray somewhere other than FL or KY.

"Saul" keeps getting better, funnier, if simultaneously more ominous. Last 5 minutes of last night's episode shifted attention to key "Breaking Bad" character, Mike Ehrmantraut, his backstory re daughter and years as Philly cop, and presumably next week, his hiring Jimmy/Saul as his lawyer.

I had assumed that all 10 episodes this season would be one-word O's -- Uno, Mijo, Nacho, Hero -- but "Alpine Shepherd Boy," both title and substance, was excellent: anti-government nutter, toilet butthead, brother Chuck's issues, Jimmy's "Matlock" suit, Mike's past. Things are breaking bad for Mike, so it's Jimmy to the rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Things are breaking bad for Mike, so it's Jimmy to the rescue.
    Nice.

No talk yet after a great episode focused on Mike? The best word for this show is captivating, and much like Breaking Bad in that sense. Nice to finally get Mike's backstory though.

If you missed this interview of Vince Gilligan & Peter Gould (done by Rich Eisen) it is well worth watching...

http://www.richeisenshow.com/2015/03...-re-show-3515/

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    No talk yet after a great episode focused on Mike? The best word for this show is captivating, and much like Breaking Bad in that sense. Nice to finally get Mike's backstory though.

If you missed this interview of Vince Gilligan & Peter Gould (done by Rich Eisen) it is well worth watching...

http://www.richeisenshow.com/2015/03...-re-show-3515/
    Many thanks for link to Eisen. Surprising revelations, very exciting. I won't spoil it -yet- for Bad/Saul watchers, but will only second riverside6's rec that readers view this Eisen interview.

As to most recent Saul episode, we're back to "O" titles, this time "Five-O," Mike and his Philly precinct guys. I don't watch the Emmys, but I'd bet Jonathan Banks wins an Emmy for this episode, especially his monologue sitting across the table from his daughter-in-law. Powerful. In a show, Saul, that is itself the backstory to BB, we now get Mike's backstory to Saul, tucked into Jimmy's backstory to Saul, knowing that in every episode we're going to know even more about BB. All this in a show that -- I assume -- entertains even those yet to see BB.

The very construct of "breaking bad" is as central to Saul as to BB itself. In this episode, we learn how bad things broke for Mike, who broke himself in breaking his own son. This episode is as good as the very best episodes of BB.

Hope you're watching.

As I said in post ^, I know little about the Emmys, save that Breaking Bad and Mad Men have won a bunch of stuff. But Jonathan Banks's final speech in "Five-0" was so powerful that it just seems it must be Emmy-worth. Now having read a couple of reviews of this episode, the TV critics do in fact "nominate" Banks's performance in "Five-0," and specifically that monologue, for an Emmy.

I suspect this series is going to last for multiple seasons, and win a bunch of stuff. Down the road, somebody's going to opine that it's better than BB.

Hope you're watching.

Wow, impressive commentary here.

Five-O episode was terrific. You sensed what was coming but the payoff was great.

re: Justified, Raylan is sure doing quite a bit of drinking...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'