Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    So, what was the moment of transformation from Jimmy to Saul?

1. The committee rejects Jimmy's choice/he rants to her outside the office.
    2. Jimmy's subsequent break-down in the car.
    3. Jimmy realizes he needs to switch tactics during the hearing and pulls a heartstrings con while explicitly telling his audience he is not going to try pulling on heartstrings.
    4. Jimmy says he won't be practicing under the name McGill and breaks Kim's brain.
    5. Other

I think it's number three.
    How about when he ran down (not literally) the girl who lost the scholarship in the parking lot?

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    How about when he ran down (not literally) the girl who lost the scholarship in the parking lot?
    That's item 1 from my list. I should have said "scholarship committee." I think it's still build-up though. He hasn't hit his low point in the car yet. I think the moment of transformation happens during the hearing - that's why he switches tactics, says he'll do everything he can to uphold the name McGill, then five minutes later can't contain his self-praise for his own charisma and mentions he'll be using a different name.

That's item 1 from my list. I should have said "scholarship committee." I think it's still build-up though. He hasn't hit his low point in the car yet. I think the moment of transformation happens during the hearing - that's why he switches tactics, says he'll do everything he can to uphold the name McGill, then five minutes later can't contain his self-praise for his own charisma and mentions he'll be using a different name.
    Oops, sorry, yes it was. I read it too fast and the "he rants to her outside the office" conjured the image of him and Kim on the top of the parking deck outside her office earlier (previous episode even?). Seems I can't get Kim's face out of my mind.

Ah, but was that planned?

So, what was the moment of transformation from Jimmy to Saul?

1. The committee rejects Jimmy's choice/he rants to her outside the office.
    2. Jimmy's subsequent break-down in the car.
    3. Jimmy realizes he needs to switch tactics during the hearing and pulls a heartstrings con while explicitly telling his audience he is not going to try pulling on heartstrings.
    4. Jimmy says he won't be practicing under the name McGill and breaks Kim's brain.
    5. Other

I think it's number three.
    What is the difference between Jimmy and Saul? Is there any personality change? Isn't Saul just a more successful Jimmy, who is no longer the blundering and hapless schlemiel? Jimmy's resolution of the piņata episode seemed more in the Saul direction. Maybe I've forgotten part of Saul.

Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    What is the difference between Jimmy and Saul? Is there any personality change? Isn't Saul just a more successful Jimmy, who is no longer the blundering and hapless schlemiel? Jimmy's resolution of the piņata episode seemed more in the Saul direction. Maybe I've forgotten part of Saul.
    I basically agree. I remember hearing the creators say that Walter White was always bad; his changed life circumstances just allowed his true self to come out more. I think Jimmy also has for the most part always been Saul. It is ironic that he resented the elite always seeing the one scholarship applicant as being defined by her prior mistake, but then he embraces his darker side and lets it define him.

Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I basically agree. I remember hearing the creators say that Walter White was always bad; his changed life circumstances just allowed his true self to come out more. I think Jimmy also has for the most part always been Saul. It is ironic that he resented the elite always seeing the one scholarship applicant as being defined by her prior mistake, but then he embraces his darker side and lets it define him.
    I disagree. Ingredients aren't a cake. There's a process of creation involved. Remember that Jimmy made a huge fuss over advertising his services under the name McGill in a prior season. His character has grown (decayed? changed?) so that not only is he willing to forgo practicing under that name, but instead explicitly rejects it.

The old Jimmy mostly scammed jerks and worked hard to help his clients in a legitimate law practice (eldercare), and would never think to kill, even those piņata punks that robbed him of his drop phone money.

The new Saul that we see in BB will be willing to scam anyone, will work mostly for criminals, and is always quick to suggest sending someone "off to Belize," e.g. Hank or Badger, when they become problematic.

It's basically like the explanation below that Mike gave to Pryce (the pill-selling, eventual Hummer purchaser) in Season 1

Jimmy used to be a "good" scam artist / lawyer. Now he's a "bad" one.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    It's basically like the explanation below that Mike gave to Pryce (the pill-selling, eventual Hummer purchaser) in Season 1

Jimmy used to be a "good" scam artist / lawyer. Now he's a "bad" one.
    But doesn't Mike's distinction between good and bad have to do with doing one's homework and keeping one's word? Does Jimmy now not do his homework or keep his word?

New season -- anyone else seen the first episode yet?

I didn't even realize it was here. It seems 2019 went by even faster than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    New season -- anyone else seen the first episode yet?
    There have been two episodes so far. They were both very good, and it seems like the two separates stories (Jimmy and Mike, essentially) are about to merge again.

Better not

We finally have Saul Goodman!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I'm immature, I guess, but I laughed hard at how Saul convinced Acker to hire him as his lawyer.

A good season rolling along, so far.

Shower thought: has any show (or universe, I suppose) in its 10th season ever created a villain or character as good as the devilishly entertaining Lalo Salamanca? I'm enjoying watching him and Gus play chess.

I love Salamanca, and I absolutely would dine on Gus's fabulous fried chicken any time, the man is beyond meticulous. OCD Fried Chicken. That matters.

Episode 6 - Wexler v. Goodman

Finally watched this week's episode (Episode 6 from 3/23). I was totally surprised how much my stomach was churning when Saul came into the conference room to confront Kevin/Mesa Verde. Up until that very moment we'd been rooting for Jimmy/Saul, and at that instant I hated him. Amazing how the writers made me feel that emotional switch.

I wish they had elaborated on the connection between Fring and Mike. This season's weekly cliff-hangers are killing me!
    Good people drink good beer. -Hunter S. Thompson

Holy mackerel this season has been great so far.

We didn't read the stories that said "Send in the Rebels and send out the clowns."
    And we didn't lose by 30.