Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 228
  1. #201
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    we are back with the 1st half of season 1. Started Monday in a special 2 episode (2.5 hour) season premiere. Masterful as usual. Would love to discuss the Gus-Nacho situation. Seems to be a lot of confusion from what I've read online.

    2.5 hours (including commercials) and not a single wasted frame or piece of dialogue (excluding commercials). The intro to episode 1 was very interesting. The last scene in episode 2 may have been Kim fully 'breaking bad.'
    I'm about 3/4 of an hour in, lots to digest. I want to savor it.

  2. #202
    Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    we are back with the 1st half of season 1. Started Monday in a special 2 episode (2.5 hour) season premiere. Masterful as usual. Would love to discuss the Gus-Nacho situation. Seems to be a lot of confusion from what I've read online.

    2.5 hours (including commercials) and not a single wasted frame or piece of dialogue (excluding commercials). The intro to episode 1 was very interesting. The last scene in episode 2 may have been Kim fully 'breaking bad.'
    Where are you finding good discussions of the episode? I would be interested in reading them.

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm about 3/4 of an hour in, lots to digest. I want to savor it.
    Let me know when you're done. One of the Lalo scenes/storylines confused me at first and then I realized how genius it is (although maybe a slight reach)

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Where are you finding good discussions of the episode? I would be interested in reading them.
    -Better call saul reddit (i never post on reddit or have an account but used to use it to read breaking bad theories). Decent discussions in the main episode threads.
    -Vulture usually has good recaps
    -Ny times recaps and comment section
    -AV club recaps and comment sections
    -This youtube channel and comment section: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak7YvZn4iB8

    between all of those I can usually piece together anything I might have missed or misunderstood. Usually don't have time to rewatch entire episodes before the next one arrives.

  5. #205
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    Let me know when you're done. One of the Lalo scenes/storylines confused me at first and then I realized how genius it is (although maybe a slight reach)
    I have to confess that I often get confused (I suspect many people do) and then have to go to once of the sources listed above to figure everything out.

  6. #206
    Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    -Better call saul reddit (i never post on reddit or have an account but used to use it to read breaking bad theories). Decent discussions in the main episode threads.
    -Vulture usually has good recaps
    -Ny times recaps and comment section
    -AV club recaps and comment sections
    -This youtube channel and comment section: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak7YvZn4iB8

    between all of those I can usually piece together anything I might have missed or misunderstood. Usually don't have time to rewatch entire episodes before the next one arrives.
    Thanks for the info. For shows I really like I sometimes check the reddit threads or the recaps but I never think about youtube. The vid you linked pointed out some important things I missed.
    Last edited by Skydog; 04-21-2022 at 11:13 PM.

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    So with one episode to go before they take the halftime break in this final season, anyone care to venture a guess as to exactly what Saul and Kim have cooking?

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Truly have no idea. But it canít be good.

    We are more focused on what happens to Kim. My wife think she gets killed. I donít think so. If she was murdered, Saul would not have continued to shill for the cartel. So my guess is sheís alive, but in prison. That it comes down to a ďher or meĒ situation and Saul picks ďme.Ē. The Howard Thing could be part of that.

  9. #209
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Howard has a lot of really nice shirts, but they seem to be lacking in variety. (frankly I never liked the two tone shirt thing).

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    Truly have no idea. But it canít be good.

    We are more focused on what happens to Kim. My wife think she gets killed. I donít think so. If she was murdered, Saul would not have continued to shill for the cartel. So my guess is sheís alive, but in prison. That it comes down to a ďher or meĒ situation and Saul picks ďme.Ē. The Howard Thing could be part of that.
    I think that Kim is going to get the foundation-funded private public defender gig, but it is going to be contingent on her avoiding ethical problems. She's going to be forced to choose between her dream job and her husband...

    And Jimmy will tell her to pick the job. The two of them know that if they are together, they cannot help but scheme and plot stuff that will someday get her in a ton of trouble (remember the random scams they used to pull in bars back in season one or two?). Together, they are toxic and destructive and Jimmy won't let her throw away a chance to be clean.

    Show ends with a somewhat depressed Jimmy sitting in his office the next day, after sending Kim away for good. Outside, Walter White and Jesse Pinkman flip a coin to see which one of them will go into the office to meet Saul Goodman for the first time (season 2, episode 8 of Breaking Bad).
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  11. #211
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think that Kim is going to get the foundation-funded private public defender gig, but it is going to be contingent on her avoiding ethical problems. She's going to be forced to choose between her dream job and her husband...

    And Jimmy will tell her to pick the job. The two of them know that if they are together, they cannot help but scheme and plot stuff that will someday get her in a ton of trouble (remember the random scams they used to pull in bars back in season one or two?). Together, they are toxic and destructive and Jimmy won't let her throw away a chance to be clean.

    Show ends with a somewhat depressed Jimmy sitting in his office the next day, after sending Kim away for good. Outside, Walter White and Jesse Pinkman flip a coin to see which one of them will go into the office to meet Saul Goodman for the first time (season 2, episode 8 of Breaking Bad).
    I wouldn't mind this outcome. I did like her call-out of the Vacuum repair man while reading through the Vet's LBB. Doubt she gets disappeared though. Seems too lazy for these writers. Although that could be how Saul gets introduced to Robert Forster (RIP). They did also do a tight zoom in on Kim's Nebraska plates during the flashback opening scene. That has to be for a reason.

    As for what they're cooking up with Howard. I think the following:

    1. They plan to give him some of those drops they tested out at the Vet to make him look/act high
    2.Plant the photo's Saul was working on with the actor playing the Judge. Either Howard's PI is on Saul's payroll or they somehow plant them with the PI. (also, how has mike's PI not noticed Howard's PI?)
    3.Have Howard freak out in court and claim the judge was paid off by Jimmy -- then the judge says, "i have no idea what youre talking about" then cliff main finally confronts howard and howard realizes what just happened. Sadly I don't think things end well for Howard. This would also force Howard and Cliff to settle, which means Saul gets his $$$$.
    4. This could explain why Saul is so concerned about the Judge having a cast on his arm and not matching the pictures.

    If this or something like this happens and Howard comes to his demise, i think it will greatly shake up Kim and Saul. Then maybe Jason's theory comes into play?

    As for Lalo and Gus. They're setting us up for a trap. It can't be the obvious "shootout in the lab" that they seem to be planting the seeds for.

    The writer's have really backed themselves into a corner with Lalo. Curious to see how they work their way out of it.

    Edit: one last thing. they spent a hell of a lot of time showing Howard make his wife's coffe. They then pointed out Howard drinks tea. The Vet then explained to Saul that this medication gives you the feeling of drinking 2 red bulls on an empty stomach. Is this setting up for some horrible reaction for Howard?

  12. #212
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    As for Lalo and Gus. They're setting us up for a trap. It can't be the obvious "shootout in the lab" that they seem to be planting the seeds for.
    Can someone explain for me why the lab is so secretive and important? Why did Gus and Mike go through all the expense and pain of hiring German contractors to do the job? If anything, by doing it in such a sneaky fashion, they raise questions about it. I mean, Gus owns a large dry cleaning facility. If he just hires some random dudes to carve out a basement in the facility, who would care?

    I have not understood that story line since it began and now that it has become even bigger, I really don't get it.

    And, once someone explains the secret lab reasoning to me, please explain how Lalo has tracked it all the way to Germany and why he thinks it is worth looking into. Lalo almost gets killed by assassins and the first thing he does is head off to Germany to look into what Gus was doing with some construction contractors there!?! Whaaaat??!

    I guess the cartel might be angry with Gus if they found out he was cooking his own meth, not using meth they provide to him... but it feels like we have mostly seen the cartel dealing in cocaine. Do they even really care very much about meth at this point?
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  13. #213
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think that Kim is going to get the foundation-funded private public defender gig, but it is going to be contingent on her avoiding ethical problems. She's going to be forced to choose between her dream job and her husband...

    And Jimmy will tell her to pick the job. The two of them know that if they are together, they cannot help but scheme and plot stuff that will someday get her in a ton of trouble (remember the random scams they used to pull in bars back in season one or two?). Together, they are toxic and destructive and Jimmy won't let her throw away a chance to be clean.

    Show ends with a somewhat depressed Jimmy sitting in his office the next day, after sending Kim away for good. Outside, Walter White and Jesse Pinkman flip a coin to see which one of them will go into the office to meet Saul Goodman for the first time (season 2, episode 8 of Breaking Bad).
    I'd be pretty surprised if that is how it plays out for Kim. I think a lot of the point of her entire story is that as hard as she has worked to come up from nothing and make herself into this fabulous, successful lawyer, she still is, at heart, a scam artist. She loves it. She lives for it. She can't get away from it or pretend it isn't who she is. When she turned the car around at the end of the last episode, I think that was the final proof. When it was crunch time and she had to decide which way to go, she went with completing the scam over the straight job of her dreams. Of course, I could be wrong!

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Can someone explain for me why the lab is so secretive and important? Why did Gus and Mike go through all the expense and pain of hiring German contractors to do the job? If anything, by doing it in such a sneaky fashion, they raise questions about it. I mean, Gus owns a large dry cleaning facility. If he just hires some random dudes to carve out a basement in the facility, who would care?

    I have not understood that story line since it began and now that it has become even bigger, I really don't get it.

    And, once someone explains the secret lab reasoning to me, please explain how Lalo has tracked it all the way to Germany and why he thinks it is worth looking into. Lalo almost gets killed by assassins and the first thing he does is head off to Germany to look into what Gus was doing with some construction contractors there!?! Whaaaat??!

    I guess the cartel might be angry with Gus if they found out he was cooking his own meth, not using meth they provide to him... but it feels like we have mostly seen the cartel dealing in cocaine. Do they even really care very much about meth at this point?
    I think he brought in the German contractors because he wanted to have as few loose ends as possible. Once the job is done, those guys go back to Germany, far from American law enforcement. Those kinds of guys are tough dudes- they get in trouble with the police. Using American workers who stay in America after the job is done (or even during it) runs the risk that if they get in trouble, they try to get out of it by helping the police. "What if I was to tell you about an enormous meth cooking lab like you could never even imagine. It would make your career. What could you do for me, officer?"

    Also possible that the German connection is related to Madrigal, but not sure how that would be.

    But I agree with you that Lalo going to Germany at this point does not make sense, or at least it hasn't been explained at all. Why would he care about the guys who built Gus's lab? If he wanted to destroy the lab, he doesn't need their help. I don't get it.

  14. #214
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I'd be pretty surprised if that is how it plays out for Kim. I think a lot of the point of her entire story is that as hard as she has worked to come up from nothing and make herself into this fabulous, successful lawyer, she still is, at heart, a scam artist. She loves it. She lives for it. She can't get away from it or pretend it isn't who she is. When she turned the car around at the end of the last episode, I think that was the final proof. When it was crunch time and she had to decide which way to go, she went with completing the scam over the straight job of her dreams. Of course, I could be wrong!



    I think he brought in the German contractors because he wanted to have as few loose ends as possible. Once the job is done, those guys go back to Germany, far from American law enforcement. Those kinds of guys are tough dudes- they get in trouble with the police. Using American workers who stay in America after the job is done (or even during it) runs the risk that if they get in trouble, they try to get out of it by helping the police. "What if I was to tell you about an enormous meth cooking lab like you could never even imagine. It would make your career. What could you do for me, officer?"

    Also possible that the German connection is related to Madrigal, but not sure how that would be.

    But I agree with you that Lalo going to Germany at this point does not make sense, or at least it hasn't been explained at all. Why would he care about the guys who built Gus's lab? If he wanted to destroy the lab, he doesn't need their help. I don't get it.

    He's trying to find proof that Gus was behind his attempted murder. His uncle won't let Lalo make any moves until Lalo proves that it was in fact Gus that tried to have him killed. The proof of the Lab will show that Gus is trying to move out on his own and has his reasons to knock the salamancas out. Lalo is in germany bc at the end of season 5, he spoke to W. Ziegler on the phone and knew there was more to that bc Mike was trying to hide it from him.

    I do agree it is a reach.

  15. #215
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I'd be pretty surprised if that is how it plays out for Kim. I think a lot of the point of her entire story is that as hard as she has worked to come up from nothing and make herself into this fabulous, successful lawyer, she still is, at heart, a scam artist. She loves it. She lives for it. She can't get away from it or pretend it isn't who she is. When she turned the car around at the end of the last episode, I think that was the final proof. When it was crunch time and she had to decide which way to go, she went with completing the scam over the straight job of her dreams. Of course, I could be wrong!
    Dayum... that is good and I cannot argue with it. You are right that her turning the car around was her big choice moment and she chose the scam over another life. Maybe she will regret it and that will end up turning her away from a life with Jimmy.

    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I think he brought in the German contractors because he wanted to have as few loose ends as possible. Once the job is done, those guys go back to Germany, far from American law enforcement. Those kinds of guys are tough dudes- they get in trouble with the police. Using American workers who stay in America after the job is done (or even during it) runs the risk that if they get in trouble, they try to get out of it by helping the police. "What if I was to tell you about an enormous meth cooking lab like you could never even imagine. It would make your career. What could you do for me, officer?" .
    But they didn't built a meth lab. All they built was a big underground room with thick walls and then they left. There was no hint of what it would be used for. Might have just been a man-cave where Gus can watch football on a massive big screen and yell as loud as he wants when the Falcons blow a late lead (not that I can relate to that).

    Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    He's trying to find proof that Gus was behind his attempted murder. His uncle won't let Lalo make any moves until Lalo proves that it was in fact Gus that tried to have him killed. The proof of the Lab will show that Gus is trying to move out on his own and has his reasons to knock the salamancas out. Lalo is in germany bc at the end of season 5, he spoke to W. Ziegler on the phone and knew there was more to that bc Mike was trying to hide it from him.

    I do agree it is a reach.
    I feel like a lot of this is just an excuse to keep Lalo occupied until he comes back and has a showdown with Gus (and Mike) closer to the end of the series. They didn't have anything else to do with Lalo, so they sent him on a ridiculous quest to Germany.

    I feel like the writer's room on Breaking Bad would not have made a wrong turn like this.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 05-19-2022 at 08:31 PM.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  16. #216
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    He's trying to find proof that Gus was behind his attempted murder. His uncle won't let Lalo make any moves until Lalo proves that it was in fact Gus that tried to have him killed. The proof of the Lab will show that Gus is trying to move out on his own and has his reasons to knock the salamancas out. Lalo is in germany bc at the end of season 5, he spoke to W. Ziegler on the phone and knew there was more to that bc Mike was trying to hide it from him.

    I do agree it is a reach.
    I donít remember him speaking to Werner. I looked at plot summaries of the last 4 or 5 episodes on season 5 and none mention this call. Do you recall more specifically what was said or even better which episode it was? Iíd rewatch it because maybe it would explain more of what Lalo is doing and why. I agree with Jason that doing something seemingly wasteful like this seems out of character with the writers and Vince Gilligan and I bet when itís revealed it wonít appear wasteful at all.

  17. #217
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Southbury, CT
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I donít remember him speaking to Werner. I looked at plot summaries of the last 4 or 5 episodes on season 5 and none mention this call. Do you recall more specifically what was said or even better which episode it was? Iíd rewatch it because maybe it would explain more of what Lalo is doing and why. I agree with Jason that doing something seemingly wasteful like this seems out of character with the writers and Vince Gilligan and I bet when itís revealed it wonít appear wasteful at all.
    I think it was on the phone when Werner was at the resort waiting for his wife to arrive from Germany. Mike finds him and cuts the conversation short, but Lalo gets enough information out of it.

  18. #218
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    I think it was on the phone when Werner was at the resort waiting for his wife to arrive from Germany. Mike finds him and cuts the conversation short, but Lalo gets enough information out of it.
    How does Lalo get any information out of it?!?! Lalo was not there. That is what has me confused... how does Lalo even know to look into this stuff?!?! Why dos he think any of this matters at all?
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  19. #219
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I donít remember him speaking to Werner. I looked at plot summaries of the last 4 or 5 episodes on season 5 and none mention this call. Do you recall more specifically what was said or even better which episode it was? Iíd rewatch it because maybe it would explain more of what Lalo is doing and why. I agree with Jason that doing something seemingly wasteful like this seems out of character with the writers and Vince Gilligan and I bet when itís revealed it wonít appear wasteful at all.
    Season 4 episode 10 I believe

    Hereís a short clip:
    https://youtu.be/hhuyLmXQE1E

  20. #220
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    Season 4 episode 10 I believe

    Hereís a short clip:
    https://youtu.be/hhuyLmXQE1E
    Sorry, posted that from my phone and clearly the link did not work.

    Here is the link to the phone call from 4x10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhuyLmXQE1E

    Here is a video of a guy with an EXTREMELY deep voice going into more detail about this storyline: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6-LLKxncKs

Similar Threads

  1. A Call to the Crazies
    By UrinalCake in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-03-2013, 08:58 PM
  2. Just got the call!
    By OZZIE4DUKE in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-28-2010, 12:03 PM
  3. Harry Potter SPOILERS !!! REPEAT SPOILERS!!
    By Windsor in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 08-21-2007, 04:12 PM
  4. Harry Potter SPOILERS !!! REPEAT SPOILERS!!
    By Windsor in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-19-2007, 07:58 AM
  5. Potter book spoilers (no spoilers in this post)
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-18-2007, 02:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •