Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Better Call Saul (Spoilers here!)

AMC's long-awaited prequel to Breaking Bad just finished its two-hour inaugural episode, featuring Bob Odenkirk's beloved lawyer, Saul Goodman. The critics have been singing its praises thus far, and the Sunday night premiere drew the largest audience ever for a cable channel's premiere episode.

Has anyone here been watching?

Husband tivoed it. He watched first episode and is waiting for my opinion. Just as any good husband should always wait...

Did you like it?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I liked both episodes. It is taking its time which after the success of breaking bad is the smart thing to do.

I've been a fan of Bob Odenkirk since his Mr. Show days (I still think of those sketches about once a week), so I'm willing to give this a try even after my Breaking Bad watching fizzled out after 1.5 seasons.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    I've been a fan of Bob Odenkirk since his Mr. Show days (I still think of those sketches about once a week), so I'm willing to give this a try even after my Breaking Bad watching fizzled out after 1.5 seasons.
    You DIDN'T like Breaking Bad? I got into in waaay late, just finished binge watching on Netflix a few weeks ago. One of the best shows I have ever seen.

Hi,

I saw the thread title and thought it was about Homeland.

Wasn't a fan of Breaking Bad. Saul hasn't been all that entertaining either.

I missed the Breaking Bad explosion and don't have Netflix so I can't binge on it. Do I need to know Breaking Bad to watch Better Call Saul?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I didn't watch Breaking Bad and don't have Netflix so probably won't see it for a while. However, I do live in Albuquerque so I decided to give Better call Saul a shot. I have to say that seeing how they use Albuquerque is kind of neat. The Cinnabon in the opening scene is actually in a mall about half mile from my house. So that's kind of fun.

Most people don't know that Albuquerque is one of the largest movie and TV venues in the country. NM gives pretty good tax breaks so a large industry has come up here. Movies like Transformers, Star Wars (parts of the new ones), The Book of Eli, Terminator (the new ones), The Miller's and many, many more have been filmed here.

It's kind of interesting to see actors walking around. I ran into Morgan Freeman at the golf course last year. He golfs one handed because of nerve damage he sustained in an auto accident a few years ago.

It helps to have seen breaking bad in order to truly enjoy Better Call Saul. However, I don't think its required viewing. In fact depending on the time line of Better Call Saul, it may serve as a prequel to Breaking Bad. However I think later in the show it will become more of a companion piece. It is a shared universe and so far there have been 2 connecting characters other than Saul himself.

Having said that, so far I love Better Call Saul. It succeeds in what made Saul such a great character in Breaking Bad. He is tragically funny, and can talk his way into or out of anything. That is what the show is about in a nut shell. The shared universe with Breaking Bad helps and it is truly a joy to be returned to it. I cut the cord on cable, and just have netflix but I watch this one at my ladies house. She lives half an hour away at the moment and for me to spend and hour watching TV at her house instead of other activities is a testament to how much I enjoy the show. So watch it and enjoy!!

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I didn't watch Breaking Bad and don't have Netflix so probably won't see it for a while. However, I do live in Albuquerque so I decided to give Better call Saul a shot. I have to say that seeing how they use Albuquerque is kind of neat. The Cinnabon in the opening scene is actually in a mall about half mile from my house. So that's kind of fun.

Most people don't know that Albuquerque is one of the largest movie and TV venues in the country. NM gives pretty good tax breaks so a large industry has come up here. Movies like Transformers, Star Wars (parts of the new ones), The Book of Eli, Terminator (the new ones), The Miller's and many, many more have been filmed here.

It's kind of interesting to see actors walking around. I ran into Morgan Freeman at the golf course last year. He golfs one handed because of nerve damage he sustained in an auto accident a few years ago.
    Interesting that the cinnabon is in Albuquerque, as it is meant to be a flash forward of sorts to the very end of Sauls Breaking Bad character. In other words we never knew exactly where Saul ends up, and that is meant to show us exactly what he is up to after the last episode of Breaking Bad. At least thats how I viewed it. However if that mall is in New Mexico perhaps its a flash forward to something entirely different. I guess we shall see.

BREAKING BAD SPOILER ALERT: DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO WATCH BREAKING BAD!!

after a bit of a reminder from a friend, that flash forward is meant to be of Saul after breaking bad, I forgot that he was headed to work at a cinnabon the last time we see him in BB.

we watched about 12 min of "saul" and didn't get it at all...nothing there to keep us in for another 12 mins...i guess we needed to have seen BB.
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Ok, watched both episodes. I'm in. Odenkirk is terrific and the gang member who makes the proposition is also a very good actor.
    Good stuff, hope it sticks around.

Far more entertaining than the laughably bad Blacklist. Although, Blacklist has become "must ridicule" tv in our house. It's so darned awful that we hate ourselves for watching it. Delish!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    ...the gang member who makes the proposition is also a very good actor...
    I love him in Major Crimes, only he's a cop in that.

Oh, I spoke too soon. I thought you meant Tuco, not the other guy. Teach me to post before finishing the episode!
    Last edited by bjornolf; 02-11-2015 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Ok, watched both episodes. I'm in. Odenkirk is terrific and the gang member who makes the proposition is also a very good actor. Good stuff, hope it sticks around.
    Amen, I'm definitely in. I saw all of BB, except maybe a couple of episodes of season 1. No question that one would "get" Saul if one had seen BB. From opening Cinnabon setting in black and white, to the hilarious backstory of how Saul/Jimmy's relationship with Mike Ehrmantraut began, to the totally unexpected appearance of meth-psychotic Tuco Salamanco (who, let it be said, loves his abuelita), to Saul's litigation, uh, style.

First thing that came to my mind by end of first episode was whether "Saul" could echo BB as brilliantly as the TV series "Fargo" did to the Coens' film. My answer, having now seen the first two episodes, is "yes." That is, I've no doubt that "Saul" will return to BB characters, locations, etc. And will do so with great wit and affection.

Also want to acknowledge my delight at the appearance of the great actor, Michael McKean, playing a great character as Saul's unstable brother.

I'm in, way in.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Amen, I'm definitely in. I saw all of BB, except maybe a couple of episodes of season 1. No question that one would "get" Saul if one had seen BB. From opening Cinnabon setting in black and white, to the hilarious backstory of how Saul/Jimmy's relationship with Mike Ehrmantraut began, to the totally unexpected appearance of meth-psychotic Tuco Salamanco (who, let it be said, loves his abuelita), to Saul's litigation, uh, style.

First thing that came to my mind by end of first episode was whether "Saul" could echo BB as brilliantly as the TV series "Fargo" did to the Coens' film. My answer, having now seen the first two episodes, is "yes." That is, I've no doubt that "Saul" will return to BB characters, locations, etc. And will do so with great wit and affection.

Also want to acknowledge my delight at the appearance of the great actor, Michael McKean, playing a great character as Saul's unstable brother.

I'm in, way in.

So, my question is how come they call the show Saul when his name is Jimmy? I am not one of the BB watchers, so I wasn't sure if that was revealed in BB or not.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    So, my question is how come they call the show Saul when his name is Jimmy? I am not one of the BB watchers, so I wasn't sure if that was revealed in BB or not.
    Jimmy is his real name, I am assuming that with his dispute with his brothers law firm on going, he will eventually need to change his name so its not the same. He will eventually settle on Saul Goodman, which is what his name is when we meet him in BB. This show will concentrate on that transformation from Jimmy to Saul to whatever he becomes in that black and white Cinnabon flash forward. Keep in mind the guy we see in the first two episodes of Better Call Saul, is not the same guy who we meet in BB at this point they might as well be two completely different people. I would suggest if you like Better Call Saul, that you also try to start watching BB on netflix or AMC.com if its available. I just started watching BB again so I can kind of have both shows going at once and figure out the timelines at some point. Should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by AIRFORCEDUKIE View Post
    Jimmy is his real name, I am assuming that with his dispute with his brothers law firm on going, he will eventually need to change his name so its not the same. He will eventually settle on Saul Goodman, which is what his name is when we meet him in BB. This show will concentrate on that transformation from Jimmy to Saul to whatever he becomes in that black and white Cinnabon flash forward. Keep in mind the guy we see in the first two episodes of Better Call Saul, is not the same guy who we meet in BB at this point they might as well be two completely different people. I would suggest if you like Better Call Saul, that you also try to start watching BB on netflix or AMC.com if its available. I just started watching BB again so I can kind of have both shows going at once and figure out the timelines at some point. Should be interesting.
    Thanks.

I figured Jimmy was his real name. I just wasn't sure how he got the new name. Cool.

Like it a lot

Loved Breaking Bad. Have liked what I have seen of Better Call Saul.

SoCal