Thread: Quinn Cook

Quinn Cook

I wanted to express my appreciation for the growth and maturation of Quinn Cook as a player. Four years have certainly given him the experience and perspective too become a much better player.

When Quinn first came, I think most of us expected him to fill the role as THE duke point guard. It is true he had ball handling skills, but was not polished and truly played with others who also weren't PGs (Austin Rivers, Tyler Thornton, Seth Curry). The reality is that Quinn was quick, but not ultra quick, tended to have turnovers, drove into situations where he found it difficult to finish and often had trouble staying in front of his man-to-man assignee led to us being more realistic about our expectations. Quinn's expectations of himself were also high and he often had that head hanging look when he knew he had made a bad play.

As each year progressed, Quinn seemed to become more comfortable but still had trouble in the role of primary PG with Tyler, Rasheed and Seth and then tyler and Rasheed being his companion guards.

This year is quite different as we now have Tyus who is a true PG while Quinn has become more of a SG with limited PG duties. That has allowed Quinn to concentrate more on scoring and he is now the best 3 point shooter on the team and has an assortment of drives, floaters and dish offs that came through his years of learning. He is also beocme a truly outstanding foul shooter and he is a tough kid who gets quite a few rebounds considering his size. Perhaps best of all is his leadership. Gone are the hand dog looks and in their place are the determined look. He has become the steadying influence and the true team leader.

Whether he goes on to the NBA or not is immaterial to the dedication tp the Duke program and the value I put on his time here.

This certainly has been one of the sweet notes of this season. Just five months ago, we didn't know how Quinn would react to his role or how the Cook/Jones story would play out. Pretty well, I'd say, thanks in large part to the maturity and leadership of QC.

I will miss him next year. He will leave a hole that will be difficult to fill, but, in the meantime, enjoy him playing for us down the stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I wanted to express my appreciation for the growth and maturation of Quinn Cook as a player. Four years have certainly given him the experience and perspective too become a much better player.
    There is no question Cook has become a much better player during his time at Duke and I agree with the points in your excellent post. A major point I would add is Cook was slowed by injury as a freshman, which hampered his development. Cook suffered a significant knee injury prior to his senior season of high school, returned too quick and played hurt.
    Bob Green

When Quinn first came, I think most of us expected him to fill the role as THE duke point guard. It is true he had ball handling skills, but was not polished and truly played with others who also weren't PGs (Austin Rivers, Tyler Thornton, Seth Curry). The reality is that Quinn was quick, but not ultra quick, tended to have turnovers, drove into situations where he found it difficult to finish and often had trouble staying in front of his man-to-man assignee led to us being more realistic about our expectations. Quinn's expectations of himself were also high and he often had that head hanging look when he knew he had made a bad play.

As each year progressed, Quinn seemed to become more comfortable but still had trouble in the role of primary PG with Tyler, Rasheed and Seth and then tyler and Rasheed being his companion guards.

This year is quite different as we now have Tyus who is a true PG while Quinn has become more of a SG with limited PG duties. That has allowed Quinn to concentrate more on scoring and he is now the best 3 point shooter on the team and has an assortment of drives, floaters and dish offs that came through his years of learning. He is also beocme a truly outstanding foul shooter and he is a tough kid who gets quite a few rebounds considering his size. Perhaps best of all is his leadership. Gone are the hand dog looks and in their place are the determined look. He has become the steadying influence and the true team leader.

Whether he goes on to the NBA or not is immaterial to the dedication tp the Duke program and the value I put on his time here.
    This is what used to be the great allure of college ball for me - watching players grow and develop and more importantly watching teams mature. With the early entry and increase in the transfer rate - it is not the same. I guess everything evolves but not always for the better. I have greatly enjoyed watching Quinn grow as a player and a leader.

Great thread. Quinn's yet another in a long line of Duke seniors that have exceeded expectations. I thought the move to SG would be good for Quinn, but I didn't expect him to perform a solid impersonation of Seth Curry's senior season. Quinn's a sniper out there. And he's been a tremendous leader.

I've been extremely critical of quinn over his first three years. I'm extremely happy to laud him for his performance this year. His changing role has given him the opportunity to shine in a way he was unable to as a ball handler. He and tyus have a great chemistry, and have been fun to watch.

Love Quinn Cook, love this thread.

You ain't seen nothin' like the Mighty Quinn!

The reality is that Quinn was quick, but not ultra quick, tended to have turnovers, drove into situations where he found it difficult to finish and often had trouble staying in front of his man-to-man assignee led to us being more realistic about our expectations.
    I agree with most of what you say and join you in celebrating the growth of Quinn Cook. But I think you're selling even freshman Quinn short when it comes to turnovers. The actual reality is, Quinn has always been exceptional at avoiding turnovers, including his freshman year when his assist-to-turnover ratio was an outstanding 3.5 to 1.

For some reason, a lot of people around here have an impression (either past or present) that Quinn commits/committed a lot of turnovers, when in fact he's on pace to leave Duke with the best assist-to-turnover ratio in Duke history.

I've always loved Quinn. As a freshman I knew I wanted him to get more playing time. As a sophmore I felt many times he was THE guy in crunch time that really made that team work so well even with the three terrific seniors. He set the tone for the year in Atlantis. Whenever he was given the chance, he came through big. His maturity and team first attitude has been huge again this year. Agreeing to change positions and his game for the good of the team. He's a class act and a great player. To me, his career feels a lot like Scheyer's - and hopefully it ends the same way too!
    Last edited by Newton_14; 02-08-2015 at 10:34 PM.

The coaches must have gotten to him and explained that he just could NOT continue to respond to calls, etc with that hang dog expression. For the good of the team he had to retain a positive body language. I think it helped HIM as well. He doesn't do that anymore. He just stays in the moment and is so supportive of his team mates. I gave him my vote for MOTM today because he showed that in spades. He climbed all the way up Jah to congratulate him at one point. No question, Winslow is their streak of mean, but Cook is their heart.

Love, Ima

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    This is what used to be the great allure of college ball for me - watching players grow and develop and more importantly watching teams mature. With the early entry and increase in the transfer rate - it is not the same. I guess everything evolves but not always for the better. I have greatly enjoyed watching Quinn grow as a player and a leader.
    I loved watching players like Nolan do the same thing.

Really proud of Quinn. Been high on him since he we started recruiting him and it has been an absolute joy to watch him grow up. It has been a bit of a roller coaster for of a career for him thus far, but he really seems to have found his leadership this year. Quinn's been on a lot of talented teams, that honestly should have had more post season success, so I feel he is playing with a bit of a chip/edge on his shoulder this year and the team is all better for it.

I don't want to imagine this team without Cook leading it. They'll surely wouldn't be where they are today. He is our heart and soul. Over his time at Duke, we've seen him mature and its 100% clear to me that he knows 110% what Duke Basketball is all about. I remember someone posted on here that Quinn said something along the lines of "Duke is never the underdog" at one of our games this year. I love hearing stuff like that. In the one in done era, guys like Cook really help freshman grow and understand what Duke basketball is all about.

Funny how the class of 2015 shook out. Rivers out in the pros and with Gbinije/Murphy transferring. I hope everything works out great for those guys, but I'm glad Quinn (and Marshall) stuck around and developed as Duke students/players.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I've been extremely critical of quinn over his first three years. I'm extremely happy to laud him for his performance this year. His changing role has given him the opportunity to shine in a way he was unable to as a ball handler. He and tyus have a great chemistry, and have been fun to watch.
    I'll back you up. I feel the EXACT same way.
    I have said things I'm glad my TV cant repeat about Quinn over the past 3 yrs.

I've never been happier to be proven wrong.
    Good on Mr Cook!! STRONG Sr campaign. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    The coaches must have gotten to him and explained that he just could NOT continue to respond to calls, etc with that hang dog expression. For the good of the team he had to retain a positive body language. I think it helped HIM as well. He doesn't do that anymore. He just stays in the moment and is so supportive of his team mates. I gave him my vote for MOTM today because he showed that in spades. He climbed all the way up Jah to congratulate him at one point. No question, Winslow is their streak of mean, but Cook is their heart.

Love, Ima
    Ima-This is absolutely correct. He did not lead and I often had the feeling it was hurting him and the team in a variety of situations. This year, he has grown into a man. He oozes cool and confidence and isn't afraid to challenge his team to be better. This transformation is high on my list of things I love about our program and players.

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    ... Winslow is their streak of mean, but Cook is their heart.
    It's Quinn's team, finally.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

He's a class act and a great player. To me, his career feels a lot like Scheyer's - and hopefully it ends the same way too!
    I agree with everything you wrote but wanted to particularly focus on these statements. I think Quinn has excelled when he had primary ballhandling responsibilities removed. Similarly, Scheyer excelled when he moved from off the ball to running the offense. I think in both cases each players' individual play greatly improved, and the excellent attitude each has/had made their respective teams much better in the long run!
    Last edited by -jk; 02-08-2015 at 06:25 AM. Reason: fix quote tag