Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 72, Ga Tech 66 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Phew! This team will take 5 years off my life before the end of the year.

Let's pretend this one never happened. GT shooting 73% from 3? Unbelievable. Oh well it's a win.

We can only hope they are saving their A game for the rematch with Notre Dame.

I have no idea what to expect in March...we could go to the Final 4. We could go out early again. Tis the new age of college basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    Let's pretend this one never happened. GT shooting 73% from 3? Unbelievable. Oh well it's a win.
    Ga T out shoots us and we out rebound them. How's that possible?

Good to win one when the other team goes otherworldly from 3. That's a good way to lose usually. At least a few of those were on scramble plays where we played good d but didn't come up with the loose ball. That's disheartening to a defense but we overcame it. I think we have to alleviate every conference win at this point.
    -c

The personality of this team is very much play (up or down) to the level of competition.

Dangerous habit to have come tournament time.

I knew this would be "one of those games."

GT is scrappy and physical. And naturally, a team that shoots under 30% from 3 would hit over 75% from beyond the arc against Duke. Contested, uncontested, didn't matter. Despite that, I never worried about Duke losing the game. Just was an annoyance to watch.

And let's not pretend that other teams don't leave GT WIDE OPEN all game long. It's *the* game plan against Tech. Clog the lane. Keep them off the offensive glass. Let them shoot outside shots.

Winslow looks to be 100% now. And he's kind of got a mean streak.

Matt Jones had a good game and came up with a key steal at the end, not to mention helping out on the glass. As I mentioned in chat, he's a bigger, more talented Tyler Thornton.

Despite the fact that GT is one of the best rebounding teams in the ACC, (especially offensive rebounding) Duke owned the glass 36-29.

Turnovers were low overall for Duke, but Tyus Jones had a rough game with 4 turnovers and 3-10 from the field. Not his best night, but Duke still pulled it out.

Cook showed some real leadership down the stretch, outside of a couple of bad shots.

And Okafor was solid, but quiet. I'm still annoyed at how often he gets called for walks on legit post spin moves.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    The personality of this team is very much play (up or down) to the level of competition.

Dangerous habit to have come tournament time.
    Not sure what the personality of this team has to do with a GT team that shoots less than 30% from 3 shooting over 75% from 3.

Stuff happens.

Yikes! Probably the worst we've played since Miami.

One positive: Duke solidly out-rebounded a great rebounding team. Seriously, that's about all GaTech does well. The Jackets are 9th in the country in offensive rebounding and 10th in the country in defensive rebounding (as of the time of this post.)

Curious decision by Coach K to go extended man-2-man in this one. The couch potato head coach in me would've gone with a contracted man-2-man. Zone is okay, too, but we wouldn't have done as good a job rebounding out of it.

Survive and advance, I guess? I thought we came out listless - and the crowd was about the same - like we didn't need to put forth our best effort to win (which turned out to be true). Our man-to-man defense was weak -- again. A team doesn't shoot that well from 3 just because of luck. FT shooting was poor -- again. We played 1 possession of zone against one of the worst outside shooting teams in the country. And we only had 6 players score. As someone noted above, if that happens in the tournament, we could go out early. How did this same team win on the road at Wisconsin, Louisville and UVA. An enigma of a team. Much better to have an enigmatic game that results in a win. We were lucky down the stretch that GT didn't make better decisions in terms of shot selection.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

so the team that is 353 out of 356 in beyond the arc lights it up....

perfect....

whew
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Opponents' Meme: Shoot out of Our Minds and See What Happens

I feel very confident saying that Georgia Tech kept it out closely mainly because the Jackets shot... out... of... their... minds from three (8/11 for 72.7%!). How is it that seemingly everyone we play shoots way above their average against Duke? It is truly amazing to me how often it happens!

Tyus had too many turnovers. His play has been excellent this year, but that many turnovers (4) is too many. On the other hand, he did have a clutch steal with 24 seconds left that essentially ended the game.

Nine steals for Duke is a very important stat for our defense. In addition to the one I mentioned above, Matt Jones had a HUGE steal with 39 seconds left when GIT could have cut our lead to two points.

I am very pleased with the win, and I look forward to reading the comments of people like devildeac, CDu, Olympic Fan, Kedsy, Weezie, and others. Go Duke!
    Last edited by jasoninchina; 02-04-2015 at 09:23 PM. Reason: removed question mark

Can't complain too much about Cook but for every great play he makes he takes a terrible shot the next time around. Tyus Jones a little to carefree with the ball tonight as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jasoninchina View Post
    Tyus had too many turnovers. His play has been excellent this year, but that many turnovers (4?) is too many. On the other hand, he did have a clutch steal with 24 seconds left that essentially ended the game.
    That steal was by Matt Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Not sure what the personality of this team has to do with a GT team that shoots less than 30% from 3 shooting over 75% from 3.

Stuff happens.
    Small guards are tempting to shoot over?

Georgia Tech is flat out terrible

Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    Was there a game tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke3517 View Post
    Georgia Tech is flat out terrible
    But not tonight.