Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    I'm a big Bennett fan, but his record so far (particularly the post season) falls well short of Coach K's at a similar period of time at the school.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It's safe to answer this question with a definitive "no".
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Nope

While there has been a great deal of Bennett boosting here, the thing about K is that he learned to change. He evolved. His strategies expanded.

Perhaps that is what Bennett will one day learn, too. One ultra-conservative defense and one slow down offense won't attract the bangers and shooters that any coach needs for the ultimate success.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by ipatent View Post
    I'm a big Bennett fan, but his record so far (particularly the post season) falls well short of Coach K's at a similar period of time at the school.
    Off top of my head, at about this juncture in K's days at Duke, he was getting to all the Final Fours, but had not broken through yet. Bennett is no where close to that.

Quote Originally Posted by jhmoss1812 View Post
    Plus, it's not even a fair comparison. Duke doesn't have to compete against Coach K in the landscape of college basketball. I'm ready for all these HOF coaches to retire.
    Uh, actually K DID have to compete against that coach....named Smith...just 8 miles down the road. He also had to coach against the hot new thing, Jimmy V...just 30 miles down the road.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Off top of my head, at about this juncture in K's days at Duke, he was getting to all the Final Fours, but had not broken through yet. Bennett is no where close to that.
    Bennett's not even doing as well as Coach P.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

UVa's record in the NCAA Tournament as a #1 seed is 12-6, and according to ESPN, the worst of any team with at least ten games.

I am still checking some years where I am not sure we were a number one, but Duke's record is something like 47-7.

Kindly,
    Sage
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    UVa's record in the NCAA Tournament as a #1 seed is 12-6, and according to ESPN, the worst of any team with at least ten games.

I am still checking some years where I am not sure we were a number one, but Duke's record is something like 47-7.

Kindly,
    Sage
    Do you have that 12-6 broken down for what was Bennett's? Or is that Bennett's?

Looks like 5-3 for Bennett and 7-3 for Terry Holland from 1981-1983 (with one of the wins occurring in the final 3rd place game ever in 1981)
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

No way that Bennett has been a one seed six times.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

Kindly,
    Sage
    Duke is 51-9, or 0.850.

Uhh.. with four titles as a #1 seed, it means Duke has been a #1 seed 13 times.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    While there has been a great deal of Bennett boosting here, the thing about K is that he learned to change. He evolved. His strategies expanded.

Perhaps that is what Bennett will one day learn, too. One ultra-conservative defense and one slow down offense won't attract the bangers and shooters that any coach needs for the ultimate success.
    weezie, I mostly agree with your post, but it did take Coach K a very long time to begin to use the zone as Duke's primary defense or even use it more than 3 or 4 minutes per game, However he has been great at making adjustments in game and even during practice time when there is a break in the schedule. GOAT! GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    No way that Bennett has been a one seed six times.
    That isn’t how that works, haha. If Bennett’s team lost in the elite 8 as a 1 seed, they’d be 3-1.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    weezie, I mostly agree with your post, but it did take Coach K a very long time to begin to use the zone as Duke's primary defense or even use it more than 3 or 4 minutes per game, However he has been great at making adjustments in game and even during practice time when there is a break in the schedule. GOAT! GoDuke!
    This is the perpetual question...has K been too stubborn over the years about zone, and about not developing depth? Or is that part of his secret sauce to success? Or is it some of both?

NO way to go back and replay those things...hard to argue with the GOAT resume...

Asking is UVa the new Duke is asking the wrong question. Maybe we should ask is Coack Keatts the new Coach K?

3-1 against Hall of Fame coaches in season 1

Of course, the knock on Keatts is he has yet to win an NCAAT game.

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    That isn’t how that works, haha. If Bennett’s team lost in the elite 8 as a 1 seed, they’d be 3-1.
    Um, that's exactly how it works. If they have six losses as a one seed and no nattys, they have been a one seed six times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Um, that's exactly how it works. If they have six losses as a one seed and no nattys, they have been a one seed six times.
    Momma never said I was a good listener. Thought you were referring to the 5-3 record.

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    Momma never said I was a good listener. Thought you were referring to the 5-3 record.
    No harm. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Asking is UVa the new Duke is asking the wrong question. Maybe we should ask is Coack Keatts the new Coach K?

3-1 against Hall of Fame coaches in season 1

Of course, the knock on Keatts is he has yet to win an NCAAT game.
    College coaches are judged by their post season success - that is it. Of active coaches- K is 1 and Roy is 2 and a few others behind that. Keatts is a nice coach and with some luck he has a chance to make some more ACC noise- but as Bennett knows better than anyone- the post season matters.