Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1,000 Club

With respect to Blue Blood status, here's the total # of national championships, final four appearances, regular season conf. championships and tourney conf. championships since 1976-77 (Boeheim's first year at Syracuse):

Kentucky - 49 (4 national, 9 FF, 36 conf)
    UNC - 45 (4 national, 12 FF, 29 conf)
    Duke - 44 (4 national, 12 FF, 28 conf)
    Kansas - 43 (2 national, 7 FF, 34 conf)
    Louisville - 43 (3 national, 7 FF, 33 conf)

UCLA - 23 (1 national, 5 FF, 17 conf)
    Georgetown - 22 (1 national, 4 FF, 17 conf)
    Syracuse - 21 (1 national, 4 FF, 16 conf)
    Florida - 20 (2 national, 5 FF, 13 conf)
    Indiana - 15 (2 national, 4 FF, 9 conf)

Of course Indiana and UCLA did not have as many opportunities to win conference tournament championships.

Syracuse is the only school on the list with only one coach in that time. Duke had three (hi, Pete Gaudet). Georgetown three (two only differentiated by a suffix).

My counting may have mistakes; numbers from www.sports-reference.com I just hand-picked these teams, feel free to look up others.

I enjoyed Featherston's article breaking down the 1,000 wins a couple of different ways.

One particularly enjoyable fact was that Coach K has beaten Maryland 55 times, more than any other opponent. I work in DC so I am going to share that little tidbit with some of the Maryland alums around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    With respect to Blue Blood status, here's the total # of national championships, final four appearances, regular season conf. championships and tourney conf. championships since 1976-77 (Boeheim's first year at Syracuse):

Kentucky - 49 (4 national, 9 FF, 36 conf)
    UNC - 45 (4 national, 12 FF, 29 conf)
    Duke - 44 (4 national, 12 FF, 28 conf)
    Kansas - 43 (2 national, 7 FF, 34 conf)
    Louisville - 43 (3 national, 7 FF, 33 conf)

UCLA - 23 (1 national, 5 FF, 17 conf)
    Georgetown - 22 (1 national, 4 FF, 17 conf)
    Syracuse - 21 (1 national, 4 FF, 16 conf)
    Florida - 20 (2 national, 5 FF, 13 conf)
    Indiana - 15 (2 national, 4 FF, 9 conf)
    Great work with this list, Reilly.

Syracuse has made the Final Four in the 80s, 90s, 2000s, and 10s under Boeheim. They've not been quite as consistent as Duke, UNC, Kansas, or Kentucky but they are clearly right in that next tier and are in the discussion for the the 5th best program behind the 4 big boys previously mentioned. Syracuse has the 5th most appearances in the AP Poll since Boeheim arrived on campus. OVerall, Syracuse has the 5th most wins all-time for any basketball program.

I'm not sure what some folks in this thread were talking about in saying that Syracuse wasn't one of the top programs. I agree that they do not measure up to the big four, but they are every bit alongside 4 or 5 other programs that would make up the ten best in modern college basketball.

-Jason "I agree that K will want to stick around until after Boeheim retires -- I hope they both coach another decade or two!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    You may be right. But personally, I think you are underestimating the competitiveness and ego (in a good way - you don't get where Coach K has gotten without an ego) that Coach K has. I think this record means a lot to him, and I think he doesn't want to see anyone pass him while he could still do something about it.

I'm hopeful that, because Boeheim is actually a bit older, he decides hang it up before Coach K does. Or that Coach K can create enough distance that Boeheim can't catch up even with a few more seasons. But I'd not be at all surprised to see both guys hang on in hopes that the other quits.

The only way I could see Coach K leaving early is if he really starts to slip in terms of health or success. I don't think he'd hang on if he was winning only 15-20 games a year. But as long as he's winning 25+ games and as long as Boeheim is nipping at his heels, I'd expect him to keep going.

That being said, I'd not be at all shocked if both are retired within the next 5 years. I certainly wouldn't bet on it, but I wouldn't rule it out either. I could see both hanging it up in their early 70s or both hanging on trying to outlast the other, with nearly equal probability.
    One other thought - if and when recruits start to steer clear of Duke because of K's age and future commitment, I could see K moving aggressively to a successor to ensure the longevity of the program. In other words, the "Coach K may not be there by the time you graduate" argument. This is part of what submarined Bill Guthridge's recruiting at UNC. That's a non issue for the one and done types, as they aren't expected to stick around more than a year anyway, so it is probably less of an issue than it was 20 years ago. Also, Boeheim has the exact same problem, so this is probably a push.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    One other thought - if and when recruits start to steer clear of Duke because of K's age and future commitment, I could see K moving aggressively to a successor to ensure the longevity of the program. In other words, the "Coach K may not be there by the time you graduate" argument. This is part of what submarined Bill Guthridge's recruiting at UNC. That's a non issue for the one and done types, as they aren't expected to stick around more than a year anyway, so it is probably less of an issue than it was 20 years ago. Also, Boeheim has the exact same problem, so this is probably a push.
    Yeah, that and Gut telling Jason Williams he couldn't come because he'd already signed Adam Boone.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I enjoyed Featherston's article breaking down the 1,000 wins a couple of different ways.

One particularly enjoyable fact was that Coach K has beaten Maryland 55 times, more than any other opponent. I work in DC so I am going to share that little tidbit with some of the Maryland alums around here.
    And I can recall a bunch where Maryland lost the game right at the end.

Thumbs up Herb Magee Joins the Club

A hearty congratulations to Herb Magee of Philadelphia University (DII) who got win 1,000 today when his team defeated Post University 80-60.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...wski/23048841/

Next up, Boeheim? If he weathers the current mess that is Syracuse basketball.