Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

'Historic' Northeast Snow Storm???

Uh, Guys and Gals on TV: It hasn't happened yet; it can't be "historic." Now, I would accept the term "prehistoric."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    How about "historically pessimistic storm"?
    "This is one of the worst ones we are expecting, ever!"
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    How about "historically pessimistic storm"?
    "This is one of the worst ones we are expecting, ever!"
    Worse than Stormapalooza or Snowapalooza or Snowmageddon or whatever the one 2-3 years ago was called that dumped 20-40" of snow in the mid-Atlantic/New England areas?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Worse than Stormapalooza or Snowapalooza or Snowmageddon or whatever the one 2-3 years ago was called that dumped 20-40" of snow in the mid-Atlantic/New England areas?
    All those names are way better than "Juno", which is what the Weather Channel in their never ending insistence of naming winter storms has called this one.
    Has anyone EVER looked back on a winter storm and said "Man, remember Brutus? That was wild". I'm guessing no, and that they never will.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Per Wiki, that one dumped 38 inches on Elkridge, MD and a trace on Central Park:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_N...izzard_of_2010

I think because the 2 feet+ snow this time is aiming at NYC, that's what makes this one so much worse. Sort of like how Madison Square Garden becomes the most whatever arena in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I think because the 2 feet+ snow this time is aiming at NYC, that's what makes this one so much worse. Sort of like how Madison Square Garden becomes the most whatever arena in the world.
    When NY gets two feet of snow, everyone has to come up with a neologism for it.

When Chicago gets two feet of snow, it's the "Blizzard Of [year]".

When we get two feet of snow here, we call it Thursday.

All those names are way better than "Juno", which is what the Weather Channel in their never ending insistence of naming winter storms has called this one.
    Has anyone EVER looked back on a winter storm and said "Man, remember Brutus? That was wild". I'm guessing no, and that they never will.
    In general, I agree with you. I must admit a certain fondness for Winter Storm Cato, though.

Yea nevermind that last year, it seemed like Boston got a couple blizzards that dropped more than 2' of snow. This is the biggest storm of the century since last year's storm of the century!

Basically, this storm is Bama-LSU.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Yea nevermind that last year, it seemed like Boston got a couple blizzards that dropped more than 2' of snow. This is the biggest storm of the century since last year's storm of the century!

Basically, this storm is Bama-LSU.
    The folks from Texas are going to be very upset you omitted Baylor and/or TCU.

The folks from Texas are going to be very upset you omitted Baylor and/or TCU.
    Haha, I was referring to the 2011 Bama-LSU game that was billed the "Game of the Century" by ESPN and that there would never be another game like it again, only to see that same game about 2 months later in the BCS title game.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

I'm just getting ready to go down to the TV and checkout the Weather Channel ultra hype. Always entertaining...definitely true that if it happens in NYC it's big news, if it happens in
    Vermont and everyone perishes, no big deal.

Great memories of a much hyped storm for NYC some years ago that failed to materialize. TWC had (Vermont native) Jim Cantore standing in Times Square waiting for the apocalyptic storm, and it totally fizzled.
    The best part was that you could hear and see multiple people heckling him about the much hyped but little seen "storm." Most entertaining. "Look, there's another snowflake, Jim!!"

p.s. to get away from some of the Weather Channel hype, I just checked out the official National Weather Service forecast for NYC...I give those guys credit for keeping an even keel...and they are indeed
    calling it a crippling and potentially historic event...20-30 inches forecast in NYC, more in CT and Lung Island...55mph wind gusts, steady winds in the 20-30 mph range.
    Last edited by budwom; 01-26-2015 at 03:44 PM.

I forgot Snowpocalypse.

I forgot Snowpocalypse.
    Anyone forecasting a Sharknado too?

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Anyone forecasting a Sharknado too?
    Sharknados are a summer phenomenon. Perhaps you're thinking of a Bearicane?

Yea, I'm somewhat of a weather geek, and there has been a lot of controversy and ridicule in the meteorological profession about the Weather Channel's (I call it the "Ad Channel" - have you ever noticed how many ads they run on that channel?) decision a few years ago to start naming Winter storms. Absolutely no precedence in meteorological history for naming such storms. Hurricanes have been named for years but never run-of-the-mill winter storms. A total PR move by the Weather Channel to generate more interest (and more viewers for them) in these storms. Frankly, IMHO, total overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Yea, I'm somewhat of a weather geek, and there has been a lot of controversy and ridicule in the meteorological profession about the Weather Channel's (I call it the "Ad Channel" - have you ever noticed how many ads they run on that channel?) decision a few years ago to start naming Winter storms. Absolutely no precedence in meteorological history for naming such storms. Hurricanes have been named for years but never run-of-the-mill winter storms. A total PR move by the Weather Channel to generate more interest (and more viewers for them) in these storms. Frankly, IMHO, total overkill.
    What bugs me more than the ads is the fact that any more, whenever I turn the channel on, they aren't doing the weather per se, but rather some crap about dangerous weather conditions, real or imagined, of the "it could happen" variety, or the re-creation of some tornado rescue story.

I know, I know, MTV doesn't do music videos either.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    What bugs me more than the ads is the fact that any more, whenever I turn the channel on, they aren't doing the weather per se, but rather some crap about dangerous weather conditions, real or imagined, of the "it could happen" variety, or the re-creation of some tornado rescue story.

Jim Cantore is the Geraldo Rivera of the weather world.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post

When DirecTV and the Weather Channel had their spat some months ago (and DirecTV dropped them for a period of time) one of their criticisms (besides the obvious issue of money) was
    that TWC wasn't showing enough weather.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    When DirecTV and the Weather Channel had their spat some months ago (and DirecTV dropped them for a period of time) one of their criticisms (besides the obvious issue of money) was
    that TWC wasn't showing enough weather.
    And they expected what? History from the History Channel? Science from the Science channel?

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Best thing to happen to forecasting in DC is the Capital Weather Gang. They even score themselves after the event.

If you're within a couple hundred miles of DC, they're worth a read.

In the Triangle, follow Nate Johnson. He's the best.

-jk