View Poll Results: Which should move on in our search for the greatest sports movie? (multiple-choice)

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hoop Dreams

24 54.55%
  • Invincinble

13 29.55%
  • Bang the Drum Slowly

20 45.45%
  • Little Big League

3 6.82%
  • Hidalgo

2 4.55%
  • Diggstown

3 6.82%
  • Heart Like a Wheel

1 2.27%
  • Space Jam

3 6.82%
  • The Sandlot

17 38.64%
  • Everybody's All-American

2 4.55%
  • American Fliers

7 15.91%
  • Bingo Long's Travelling All-Stars

6 13.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Greatest Sports Movie Poll #5 (multiple choice)

Vote early, vote often

This is a real so-so group. Lots of decent flicks, but not many really great ones.

I see 2 must-move-ons in this group-- Hoop Dreams is amazing, one of the finest documentaries on sports EVER. Bang The Drum Slowly is a classic that is as emotional a story as you will find in the sports movie genre.

I have a few others in the group that are personal faves of mine, but none of them are all that special.

-Jason

Hey Jason

I haven't seen any of those movies. I recognize a couple of names (Bang the Drum Slowly, Space Jam), but there is nothing I would vote for. Upon further reflection, I'll vote for Drum on reputation but not because I've seen it.

Why have a poll like this when you had so many better movies in the previous polls and only 4 could move on?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I see 2 must-move-ons in this group-- Hoop Dreams is amazing, one of the finest documentaries on sports EVER. Bang The Drum Slowly is a classic that is as emotional a story as you will find in the sports movie genre. -Jason
    Unfortunately, I haven't seen Bang the Drum Slowly. Given your endorsement, I'll have to correct that.

I voted for Hoop Dreams (easy call) and The Sandlot (close call).

P.S. I'm very sad to have gone from Elton Brand to Chris Carawell, back to riding the pine. It doesn't seem right.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    I voted for Hoop Dreams (easy call) and The Sandlot (close call).
    Yeah, me too.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I haven't seen any of those movies. I recognize a couple of names (Bang the Drum Slowly, Space Jam), but there is nothing I would vote for. Upon further reflection, I'll vote for Drum on reputation but not because I've seen it.

Why have a poll like this when you had so many better movies in the previous polls and only 4 could move on?
    I am the same. I don't know any of them, so I won't mess with the mix and will not vote.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post

I assigned the movies randomly from a huge list. This group just happened to fall together this way.

-Jason "semi-finals will be divided based on order of finish in this round" Evans

Thumbs up A recommendation

If you 'youngsters' haven't seen BANG THE DRUM SLOWLY, get to your video store now! It's a wonderful flick.

Honestly, Sandlot is one of my favorite movies of all time, of course I'm a sucker for any baseball movie, and I'm still kinda mad about the Rookie not making it.

Sandlot was the only real movie that was a definite for me on this one, but I haven't seen Drum or Invincible either.

I thought I would be the only one voting for American Flyers. Glad to see I'm wasn't - but I don't expect to see it move on. (You know your addicted when you love the camera shot of the rear derailleur as the bike is shifted - I need to get a life.)

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Only two of this group make the cut for me: "Hoop Dreams" and "Invincible". (Actually, I assume "Invincinble" is just a Jason Evans typo of "Invincible", the 2006 Mark Wahlberg/Greg Kinnear film about the 1976 Philadelphia Eagles, and not some other film I've never heard about.

If you haven't seen them, both films are worth a viewing. "Hoop Dreams" is a spectacular insight into pre-college basketball culture for those labeled early as prospects. I think it's one of the best documentaries I've ever seen, not just a great sports movie. "Invincible" is a much more typical, even formulaic sports film, but it's so well-executed that I think it deserves to move on. It's a lot like "Rocky", in that it's about a guy off the streets in Philly that gets a shot at the big time - only this time, it's a football player trying out for new coach Dick Vermeil, and it's based on a true story. Very inspirational and uplifting, and superbly crafted.

The other two getting attention just didn't quite get there for me. "Bang the Drum Slowly" certainly has its merits, but I found it to be slow and dreary. Perhaps what it does best is show the human side of the macho sports world, as teammates rally around a stricken comrade, but I found the baseball side of the story to be quite unconvincing, and it just never clicked for me. I think "Field of Dreams" explores this territory in a better way.

I can understand why "The Sandlot" is getting a lot of votes, too, but again it just didn't quite make the cut IMO. It's a sentimental look back at a group of neighborhood kids whose lives center around their pickup baseball games on the local empty lot. Kind of like a baseball version of "Stand By Me". But the plot is trite, the acting is kind of weak, and I guess I got tired of sentimental baseball films. Worth watching, but nothing special, IMO.

Regarding the rest:

"Hidalgo" is good, but it tries to be some combination of epic western, Arabian adventure, and horse racing film, and can't seem to make up its mind.

"Little Big League" and "Heart Like a Wheel" have their moments, but never really rise above mediocrity.

"Everybody's All-American" and "American Flyers" (NOT "American Fliers", Jason!) have even fewer moments and are pretty forgettable.

"Space Jam" is weak, IMO. Maybe kids like it, but I found it tedious. It doesn't help that it stars Jordan, who I may acknowledge as a great player, but I just can't bring myself to like. (Must be something about that Tarheel underwear...)

And I haven't seen "Diggstown" or "Bingo Long's Travelling All-Stars", so I can't offer an opinion there.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Poll #5 desperately needed a "None of the Above" option.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Poll #5 desperately needed a "None of the Above" option.
    You know, that would have been a nice choice as I am not sure 4 films from this group deserve to move on. Still, we will weed much of this group out in the next round for sure.

I am closing this poll now.

-Jason "group 6 should be up soon" Evans