New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Jennifer's Journey -- An art project with a purpose

Late last Summer, a friend of mine from high school (we both graduated from Jordan) was diagnosed with breast cancer. Prior to her diagnosis, I had asked if she would be interested in modeling for any paintings. She was excited about it back then, but afterwards I wasn't sure she would be so into it. I asked her again, right before her chemo treatments began, and was happy to learn that she was still very much on board.
    I told her that I would love to follow her, if she was brave enough, through her progress from patient to survivor. She happily has been into the idea, and we have begun the series. Overall, the project has a few goals. One is to help inspire other women going through the same scary scenario, to show them that even though they are facing surgery that will physically alter them, they are no less woman and no less beautiful. Another goal is to use Jennifer's image and strength to benefit a support network, and I have chosen the National Breast Cancer Foundation to fulfill that goal. Thirdly, I'll hopefully be able to help Jennifer herself later this year with a book and an auctioned painting, with some of the proceeds going towards her own medical bills.
    To help reach my second goal, I've created a fundraising page, which I would love people to look into and pass along to other friends.
    Right now I have completed 4 paintings, one of which came from a modeling session in Duke Gardens. She was in town for chemo treatments while I was tailgating the Wake Forest game. We got lucky with some great sun, and the first painting came out nicely. She has finished her chemo, and we won't be doing anymore sessions until after her mastectomy. She was thinking she would have to undergo a double, but the doctors have recommended a single for now. We'll do more photos/paintings at that point, and then finish the project once she undergoes reconstruction surgery. Both surgeries are taking place at Duke, she lives in Topsail.
    Take a look at the paintings and the fundraising project on my NBCF page at http://fundraise.nbcf.org/jennifersjourney, and you can also see the paintings on my website at www.wagnerwatercolor.com. Right now they are in the gallery, but I'll be creating a dedicated page soon. Thanks much for your interest and your support!

BehindHerEyes.jpg
    Behind Her Eyes
    36 x 24, acrylic
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Late last Summer, a friend of mine from high school (we both graduated from Jordan) was diagnosed with breast cancer. Prior to her diagnosis, I had asked if she would be interested in modeling for any paintings. She was excited about it back then, but afterwards I wasn't sure she would be so into it. I asked her again, right before her chemo treatments began, and was happy to learn that she was still very much on board.
    I told her that I would love to follow her, if she was brave enough, through her progress from patient to survivor. She happily has been into the idea, and we have begun the series. Overall, the project has a few goals. One is to help inspire other women going through the same scary scenario, to show them that even though they are facing surgery that will physically alter them, they are no less woman and no less beautiful. Another goal is to use Jennifer's image and strength to benefit a support network, and I have chosen the National Breast Cancer Foundation to fulfill that goal. Thirdly, I'll hopefully be able to help Jennifer herself later this year with a book and an auctioned painting, with some of the proceeds going towards her own medical bills.
    To help reach my second goal, I've created a fundraising page, which I would love people to look into and pass along to other friends.
    Right now I have completed 4 paintings, one of which came from a modeling session in Duke Gardens. She was in town for chemo treatments while I was tailgating the Wake Forest game. We got lucky with some great sun, and the first painting came out nicely. She has finished her chemo, and we won't be doing anymore sessions until after her mastectomy. She was thinking she would have to undergo a double, but the doctors have recommended a single for now. We'll do more photos/paintings at that point, and then finish the project once she undergoes reconstruction surgery. Both surgeries are taking place at Duke, she lives in Topsail.
    Take a look at the paintings and the fundraising project on my NBCF page at http://fundraise.nbcf.org/jennifersjourney, and you can also see the paintings on my website at www.wagnerwatercolor.com. Right now they are in the gallery, but I'll be creating a dedicated page soon. Thanks much for your interest and your support!

BehindHerEyes.jpg
    Behind Her Eyes
    36 x 24, acrylic
    Been following your progress on these via Facebook. As always, incredible work. And the story makes them even more compelling.

Great talent, well-applied.

-- OPK

Great project, CB&B. Sending good vibes to Jennifer, a fellow Jordan High School alumna. Looking forward to seeing the series of paintings.

Moderator Note: Lest our readers think we mods are being inconsistent with the enforcement of certain rules, CB&B is a long-time member of the community and has a unique project for a good cause. We'll always be happy to give leeway on some of our guidelines to our established posters who have a long history of substantive on-topic contributions. We'd like to remind readers about our guidelines on self-promotion:
    Members come here primarily for dialog about Duke Basketball and related topics. They don't come here to read shameless self promotion. If your business or blog fits into the discussion, that's great - if you also provide content. But don't start or hijack threads with a "read my blog" or "buy my product, here's a link" posts. We're not a link farm.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    Great project, CB&B. Sending good vibes to Jennifer, a fellow Jordan High School alumna. Looking forward to seeing the series of paintings.

Moderator Note: Lest our readers think we mods are being inconsistent with the enforcement of certain rules, CB&B is a long-time member of the community and has a unique project for a good cause. We'll always be happy to give leeway on some of our guidelines to our established posters who have a long history of substantive on-topic contributions. We'd like to remind readers about our guidelines on self-promotion:
    Thanks much D84! Jennifer's surgery is scheduled for February 9th. Initially it was planned that she would undergo a double mastectomy, but her doctors have recommended only removing the affected breast for right now. Once she recovers, we'll do our next photo shoot. She'll be a bit lopsided in her next paintings...but she'll have hair!
    I'm having some prints made of two of the paintings, with the goal in mind of being able to provide those that donate a certain amount the opportunity of purchasing a print on canvas for cost. I'm not making any $ through these donations, or the prints. Knowing that my art has a better purpose is much more valuable to me than money.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Fun note about the project, most of these paintings are going to be pretty large. I took a pic of one to give an idea of scale that you can't get through your computer screen.

SelfPainting.jpg

Fun note about the project, most of these paintings are going to be pretty large. I took a pic of one to give an idea of scale that you can't get through your computer screen.

SelfPainting.jpg
    And CB&B ain't short.

FYI for anyone that is near New Bern in the next couple months. This week, I'm delivering all of Jenn's portraits to be part of a group show held at the Bank of the Arts (317 Middle Street). This will be the first time that all seven paintings have been shown together. I'm joined by 5 other artists, both sculptors and painters, in a show titled "POV: Opinions". The show runs from July 5th through August 27th, with the opening the evening of Friday, July 8th. My favorite part will be seeing Jennifer at the opening with her new curls. (Her hair was mostly straight pre-chemo.)

PS...the links above no longer work since I changed my domain name and the fundraiser ended, but if you would like to see the other paintings and are on FB, they are here. http://www.facebook.com/chriswagnera...98185220208596

Jennifer.jpg

FYI for anyone that is near New Bern in the next couple months. This week, I'm delivering all of Jenn's portraits to be part of a group show held at the Bank of the Arts (317 Middle Street). This will be the first time that all seven paintings have been shown together. I'm joined by 5 other artists, both sculptors and painters, in a show titled "POV: Opinions". The show runs from July 5th through August 27th, with the opening the evening of Friday, July 8th. My favorite part will be seeing Jennifer at the opening with her new curls. (Her hair was mostly straight pre-chemo.)

Jennifer.jpg
    Great project, give her a hug for those of us following on DBR, Facebook, or wherever. Your talent always stuns me, your heart in this project is inspiring.

PS...the links above no longer work since I changed my domain name and the fundraiser ended, but if you would like to see the other paintings and are on FB, they are here. http://www.facebook.com/chriswagnera...98185220208596

Jennifer.jpg
    Damn, I wish we could have arrived in New Bern sooner last Friday as we could have had a private show/guided tour of the exhibit before it opened and before we ate dinner with y'all.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.