Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention

Karl Hess-- Aaaaaaaah See YA!

Is it wrong that I picture Karl Hess holding his fingers in two V's up in the air, boarding a helicopter, and grumbling that we "won't have Karl Hess to kick around any more"?

https://twitter.com/DavidGlennShow/s...53151861981185
    Last edited by alteran; 01-09-2015 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Mods-- forgot about the Karl Hess thread downstream, please move or delete

This made my day.

latest.jpg

Good riddance

Oh.

My.

God.

This is the best thing.

Maybe ever.

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!

- Chillin

Does he do NCAA Tourney games? We may not have seen the last of him. But this is very good news for everyone in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Does he do NCAA Tourney games? We may not have seen the last of him. But this is very good news for everyone in the league.
    Yes. In fact, he's worked a half-dozen or so Final Fours.

Like many officials, Hess works games for other conferences beyond the ACC, and I presume he'll keep doing that. I don't know how the process for selecting officials for the NCAA Tournament works, so I don't know if the ACC cutting ties with him will affect his selection for NCAA Tournament games.

One sad note...

Now UNC, Duke and State fans have NOTHING they can all agree on.

Grudge

Question is if he refs in a tournament game with an ACC team in it, will he hold a grudge and call a biased game against the ACC squad. Lets hope its UNC and not us who draws him if anyone does.

Quote Originally Posted by AIRFORCEDUKIE View Post
    Question is if he refs in a tournament game with an ACC team in it, will he hold a grudge and call a biased game against the ACC squad.
    History suggests that "grudge" is his middle name.

History suggests that "grudge" is his middle name.
    I just got one of those awful feelings in my gut... Now I'm going to torture you all with the thought that just went through my head. Duke Vs Maryland with a trip to the Final Four on the line, and Karl Hess is holding a whistle!!!!!! The thought of it makes me cringe.

Question is if he refs in a tournament game with an ACC team in it, will he hold a grudge and call a biased game against the ACC squad. Lets hope its UNC and not us who draws him if anyone does.
    Can the ACC ask the NCAA not use him if one of their teams is in the game? Conflict of interest?

Not sure if it's possible to do such a thing, but we'd certainly prefer it.

- Chillin

I just got one of those awful feelings in my gut... Now I'm going to torture you all with the thought that just went through my head. Duke Vs Maryland with a trip to the Final Four on the line, and Karl Hess is holding a whistle!!!!!! The thought of it makes me cringe.
    I would be willing to bet that he will not ref any game that has an ACC team from here on out. The NCAA is actually pretty strict with the teams certain refs can officiate. Guys aren't allowed to ref games for any team that was in the same conference as the school they attended is one of the rules I'm aware of, and I am certain there are more.

I think that King Karl will not referee a game for any ACC team for the rest of his career, nor do I see him officiating too many more games period.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    One sad note...

How about that Wake is all of our second-favorite ACC school in NC?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    nor do I see him officiating too many more games period.
    Correct. If his racial slur was verified, and that is the reason the ACC parted ways with him, who will hire him now? the, "We're okay with racism" conference.

How about that Wake is all of our second-favorite ACC school in NC?
    That was my vote in our recent poll. Plus, whatever school was playing unc (in any sport), too.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    One sad note...

They agree that they don't miss ... um ... that school that left the conference a little while ago ... name's slipping my mind already

Not to be all Debbie Downer and stuff, but notwithstanding our grievances against him, Hess was considered one of the best officials in college basketball; he didn't get all of those Final Four assignments by accident.

There is every reason to think that whoever gets the ACC assignments that would otherwise have gone to Hess, that person will not be as good as Hess, or the ACC would be using him already. In other words the SUCK factor of ACC officials is about to increase, not decrease.

Just sayin.'

I would hate to think that this offense "ALONE" would cause him or anyone to lose a job... sensitivity training and an apology should suffice.

But as we all know this is NOT King Karl's only bad call...

I believe this was a "last straw" type of offense... plus he seemed to be getting worse as he got older... I still can't believe tossed Gugs and Corchiani at NCSU.

I for one will not miss him. Good riddance!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    They agree that they don't miss ... um ... that school that left the conference a little while ago ... name's slipping my mind already
    Hate to break it to you, but South Carolina has been gone a LONG time.

Now being reported beyond the Twitterverse

Not that I don't trust David Glenn's Twitter account, but Dan Collins from the Winston-Salem Journal is reporting the story as well.

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu...e6c4ac022.html

Quote from Hess:

“It’s a sad day and it’s devastating,’’ Hess told ESPN Friday morning. “But I’m responsible. . . . I wasn’t trying to deliberately hurt anyone. That’s not my character. I goof around a lot, and there was no intent to hurt anyone.’’
    "Amazing what a minute can do."