Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Welcome to Duke, Daniel Jones (QB).

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.VK_hpCvF-Ck
    He picks Duke over Wake, Princeton, and Harvard.
    Paying his own way for the first year.

The "money quotes," or maybe, the "no-money quotes." He had previously "committed" to Princeton and will go on scholarship at Duke in either the spring or fall of 2016. "Grayshirt" is the term applied.

Daniel Jones [is] a 6-foot-5, 190-pound senior...

Last season, Jones led Charlotte Latin to the N.C. Independent Schools Division I state championship game. In 12 games, he completed 151-of-268 passes for 2,949 yards and 43 touchdowns. He also ran 109 times for 778 yards and 10 touchdowns. He set single-season school records for total yards, passing yards and passing touchdowns
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Good get

I know the kid and his family, he comes from a great school with a good football tradition and 3 alums in the NFL now. Proud that he's chosen, and been chosen, to play for the Blue Devils!

That said, here's something where he's been there, done that, and we hope for his and our sake we won't see it again:

The high-character senior quarterback, a team leader respected by teammates, fans and school community alike, lines up inside the opponent's 10 yard line at crunch time in the last game of the season, trying to win something this program hasn't won in recent years. He's a big reason why they have competed evenly in this final game against a heavily favored opponent, and the come-from-behind victory is close at hand. One play for a TD will avoid defeat. Ball is snapped, he drops back, looks to the right corner of the end zone to his favorite receiver, a fellow senior who is a highly skilled athlete but a bit undersized. The fade to the corner is lofted into the air, the crowd is spellbound, and the pass . . . is just a hair short and gets picked off by the defender. Game over.

So his career at his current level ends in almost exactly the same way Boone's did. Here's wishing Daniel all the success in the world after a stellar high school career, and multiple bowl victories at Duke! Go Devils!

Quote Originally Posted by Clocktower View Post
    I know the kid and his family, he comes from a great school with a good football tradition and 3 alums in the NFL now. Proud that he's chosen, and been chosen, to play for the Blue Devils!

That said, here's something where he's been there, done that, and we hope for his and our sake we won't see it again:

The high-character senior quarterback, a team leader respected by teammates, fans and school community alike, lines up inside the opponent's 10 yard line at crunch time in the last game of the season, trying to win something this program hasn't won in recent years. He's a big reason why they have competed evenly in this final game against a heavily favored opponent, and the come-from-behind victory is close at hand. One play for a TD will avoid defeat. Ball is snapped, he drops back, looks to the right corner of the end zone to his favorite receiver, a fellow senior who is a highly skilled athlete but a bit undersized. The fade to the corner is lofted into the air, the crowd is spellbound, and the pass . . . is just a hair short and gets picked off by the defender. Game over.

So his career at his current level ends in almost exactly the same way Boone's did. Here's wishing Daniel all the success in the world after a stellar high school career, and multiple bowl victories at Duke! Go Devils!
    I'm hoping that he has Anthony's winning traits with more accuracy on this throws. Looks like he's a pretty good runner as well. Thanks for the information. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The "money quotes," or maybe, the "no-money quotes." He had previously "committed" to Princeton and will go on scholarship at Duke in either the spring or fall of 2016. "Grayshirt" is the term applied.
    So, help me to understand why this is done. Was Duke out of scholarships for the 2015 class?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, help me to understand why this is done. Was Duke out of scholarships for the 2015 class?
    Duke is not out of scholarships. The issue is the staff is still trying to land a couple of players. The one I can name is Johnny Frasier, a 4* running back out of Princeton, NC, a FSU commit who is supposedly a prime candidate to flip on National Signing Day (February 4). I'm sure Coach Cutcliffe has his eyes on others as well, I just do not know names.

An additional factor is the number of scholarship quarterbacks already on the roster: Thomas Sirk, Parker Boehme, Nico Pierre, Quentin Harris (assuming he signs his LOI on Feb. 4). There are a lot of positions on a football roster with only 85 total scholarships available so overloading at any one position could result in not having enough players at a different position.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The reporter did apply the term "grayshirt." It's not clear to me that it was properly applied, or what the exact situation is.

If Daniel is *not* going to be part of the football program in 2015 --- not practicing this fall, not taking part, that might be a grayshirt. As I understand the tem, a grayshirt traditionally is when a h.s. kid delays his enrollment. For example, he's graduating h.s. in spring 2015, and rather than immediately coming to college and joining the program in 2015, he waits until second semester (that is, 2016) to come to college and join the program ... that way his "play 4 seasons in 5 years" clock would be in the 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20 seasons.

If Daniel is coming to Duke in 2015 and will be part of the program this year even though paying his own way, that's not a grayshirt. He's just paying his own way for this 2015 season, but the 2015 season counts against his "you can play 4 years out of 5" clock, I believe. I guess we'll see in August if Daniel is taking part in the program in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Clocktower View Post

That last game of the season was for the NC Independent Schools state championship. And the opponent, Charlotte Christian, was led by 2016 Duke commit Elijah Devaux.

Charlotte Christian tops Charlotte Latin in overtime of Independent football title game

With Deveaux running for 157 yards and accounting for all four Knights touchdowns (running for three and throwing for another), Christian was able to move the ball for much of the cold evening. But the Hawks, led by shifty sophomore receiver Melvin Rouse and Jones, stayed with the Knights.
    Coach Cut is having great success recruiting in the talent-rich Charlotte area.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I'm hoping that he has Anthony's winning traits with more accuracy on this throws. Looks like he's a pretty good runner as well. Thanks for the information. GoDuke!
    Based on our depth at QB, his other offers and the fact that he is paying his own way, I suspect we won't need to worry much about the accuracy of his throws. Sounds more like a good program guy (strong academics) rather than a threat to start at QB for us. That is not meant as a knock - you need program depth and someone has to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    The reporter did apply the term "grayshirt." It's not clear to me that it was properly applied, or what the exact situation is.

If Daniel is *not* going to be part of the football program in 2015 --- not practicing this fall, not taking part, that might be a grayshirt. As I understand the tem, a grayshirt traditionally is when a h.s. kid delays his enrollment. For example, he's graduating h.s. in spring 2015, and rather than immediately coming to college and joining the program in 2015, he waits until second semester (that is, 2016) to come to college and join the program ... that way his "play 4 seasons in 5 years" clock would be in the 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20 seasons.

If Daniel is coming to Duke in 2015 and will be part of the program this year even though paying his own way, that's not a grayshirt. He's just paying his own way for this 2015 season, but the 2015 season counts against his "you can play 4 years out of 5" clock, I believe. I guess we'll see in August if Daniel is taking part in the program in 2015.
    Mebbe the reporter used the term incorrectly, but I have trouble believing that Daniel Jones won't be practicing with the football team come August. The unasked question is whether he joins and remains in the queue to eventually become starting QB or switches to something else, presumably end or wide receiver.

Anyhoo, welcome to Duke, Daniel Jones! Go Devils!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Don't believe everything you read in this post

Obviously the scholy wasn't available at QB for one year because of a potential certain graduate transfer whose name rhymes with Killer.

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dukie View Post
    Obviously the scholy wasn't available at QB for one year because of a potential certain graduate transfer whose name rhymes with Killer.

Scholarships are a bit in short supply right now until Frasier and others (e.g. defensive back McDuffie) decide.
    I would not make the assumption that Jones won't practice this year, nor would I assume expectations of him are low. He's a classic late bloomer.

Welcome Mr. Jones!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Scholarships are a bit in short supply right now until Frasier and others (e.g. defensive back McDuffie) decide.
    I would not make the assumption that Jones won't practice this year, nor would I assume expectations of him are low. He's a classic late bloomer.
    I don't think anyone is saying he won't practice this year. There was just clarification on what is a grayshirt.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying he won't practice this year. There was just clarification on what is a grayshirt.
    Au contraire, that's exactly what Rreilly was speculating above (not practicing this year).

Au contraire, that's exactly what Rreilly was speculating above (not practicing this year).
    I think you are misreading his post. He was only defining what a grayshirt is (a player who doesn't participate with the team), and then what wouldn't be a grayshirt (participating). He is neither saying he is or is not grayshirting.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think you are misreading his post. He was only defining what a grayshirt is (a player who doesn't participate with the team), and then what wouldn't be a grayshirt (participating). He is neither saying he is or is not grayshirting.
    which is why I used the term "speculating." I don't think I misread that. Anyway, if he comes I think you count on him practicing.

which is why I used the term "speculating." I don't think I misread that. Anyway, if he comes I think you count on him practicing.
    I agree. Seems like he will join immediately in the Fall.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Duke is not out of scholarships. The issue is the staff is still trying to land a couple of players. The one I can name is Johnny Frasier, a 4* running back out of Princeton, NC, a FSU commit who is supposedly a prime candidate to flip on National Signing Day (February 4). I'm sure Coach Cutcliffe has his eyes on others as well, I just do not know names.
    Not intending to jump this thread off topic, but I guess that ends any wondering if Cut still pursues commits to other schools, even though he has said if a Duke commit looks elsewhere he'll end the relationship.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Not intending to jump this thread off topic, but I guess that ends any wondering if Cut still pursues commits to other schools, even though he has said if a Duke commit looks elsewhere he'll end the relationship.
    We just need a better word than "commit."