12 Dead 3 Injured in Paris Attack...

This is just awful. They shot a bunch of people at one of France's satirical papers. CNN is showing video of the attack right now. Prayers and thoughts to the victims and their families.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=28050771

How'd you like to work at The Onion right about now?

Inoffensive speech needs no protection.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    How'd you like to work at The Onion right about now?

Inoffensive speech needs no protection.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Once we let zealots define "inoffensive," liberty is lost.

I wish Islamic leaders were more vociferous in condemning such actions and emphasizing that they are contrary to the teachings of the Koran.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I wish Islamic leaders were more vociferous in condemning such actions and emphasizing that they are contrary to the teachings of the Koran.
    I am not so sure of that. Like many such texts, you can find justification for practically any policy within. And I am quite confident that those responsible for this latest attack acted on their sincere religious convictions.

And that's what is very troubling to me. You can't reason someone out of a belief they didn't reason themselves into.

The Onion's Take

What it lacks in utter gut-busting humor, it makes up for in relevance.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/it-...ill-put,37715/

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I am not so sure of that. Like many such texts, you can find justification for practically any policy within. And I am quite confident that those responsible for this latest attack acted on their sincere religious convictions.

And that's what is very troubling to me. You can't reason someone out of a belief they didn't reason themselves into.
    But, you cannot REASONABLY "find justification for practically any policy within" religious texts.

I think it would be appropriate for the religious leaders to assure the world this is true. The world should feel free to hate the terrorists, but the world should realize that Islam did not in any way compel or support the attack.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    But, you cannot REASONABLY "find justification for practically any policy within" religious texts.

I think it would be appropriate for the religious leaders to assure the world this is true. The world should feel free to hate the terrorists, but the world should realize that Islam did not in any way compel or support the attack.
    I am not keen, nor I would bet is DBR, to get into this really deeply, but I think you'll find that more than a few Imams are willing/eager to argue that it absolutely does compel such behavior. There is now a large conquered territory in Syria and Iraq that is controlled by those who most sincerely believe this. And they're not by far the only ones in the world who preach it or believe it. Murder for cartooning is nothing new - from 9 years ago:

http://www.samharris.org/site/full_t...ality-of-islam

and more recently:

http://www.samharris.org/blog/category/islam

What happened in Paris is a tragedy and yet another piece of evidence (all too ample) that the group of people who interpret Islam to mean that they should massacre others over such "offenses" as lampooning their Prophet, or refusing to worship their God, or being gay, or being female and reading, etc etc etc, are a vivid portrait of what evil looks like. I admire the courage of the Charlie Hedbo magazine staffers that they refused to back down to indimidation from these people, just as I admire the Christians living in Iraq and Syria who will be killed before they renounce their faith, and I feel sorrow and horror for what happened to them.
    Last edited by davekay1971; 01-08-2015 at 05:17 PM.

Got 'em.

Senseless. Literally senseless.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    What happened in Paris is a tragedy and yet another piece of evidence (all too ample) that the group of people who interpret Islam to mean that they should massacre others over such "offenses" as lampooning their Prophet, or refusing to worship their God, or being gay, or being female and reading, etc etc etc, are a vivid portrait of what evil looks like. I admire the courage of the Charlie Hedbo magazine staffers that they refused to back down to indimidation from these people, just as I admire the Christians living in Iraq and Syria who will be killed before they renounce their faith, and I feel sorrow and horror for what happened to them.
    Very well said. Wish I could spork you but need to spread the sporks first.

I'm not sure I would have the courage and strength to stand up against such threats. I hope I would if ever put to the test but pray that I'm never put to that test.

My condolences to all affected by the events in Paris.

Just one add here. Today's attack in Paris was not against "rogue cartoonists." It was aimed at a certainly crowded Kosher food market right before the Sabbath in what is generally considered a "Jewish neighborhood." Pols can spin this all they want about an attack on freedom of expression. But this one was plain and simple an Islamic radical attack on Jews--something that unfortunately is not uncommon in today's Europe (but thankfully not generally of this magnitude).

Interestingly, some of my friends in IR are likening this to the Mumbai "swarm" attacks a number of years ago perpetrated by coordinated, related parties. And such swarms are difficult to counter/respond to.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Charlie Hedbo is planning to release next week's edition, on schedule, but planning to print 1 million copies instead of the typical 30,000. Bravo. I would love for Charlie Hedbo to publish, at least for a week, in the US.

Nobody cares about the death of the a-holes that perpetrated the attacks. The real martyrs are those that died for the freedom of expression.

Here's a cartoon for ya

10891786_10152478365856150_7797951320790731475_n.jpg

source: Shots in the Dark blog, richardbradley.net

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Je suis Charlie.