Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Part of the reason to have them play minutes, particularly in games against weak opponents, is to let them gain experience in actual game conditions. Another part of the reason is to keep the player happy so they don't bolt, like Semi. Who knows if at some time during the season we will have an occurrence where we could use a 6'8" strong power forward who is also a tremendous athlete. I even wonder about the team spirit with a disgruntled player in their midst. Kind of reminds me of the old saying happy wife, happy life. In this case I am extending that to happy players, happy team.

I don't see MP3 as likely to bolt of course, but can he stay upbeat when getting in so little?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Kedsy is clearly communicating he supports Marshall Plumlee as a Duke basketball player and desires to see him develop into a viable option for the team. Development can and does happen in practice. I agree with Kedsy, increasing Plumlee's playing time means decreasing Amile Jefferson or Jahlil Okafor's playing time, which is detrimental to the team. Plumlee is doing great in the 9-10 mpg role he is currently playing.
    I agree with Bob's last sentence. Marshall's PT has gone up every year, and this year has been behind an absolute stud in the middle. And he's exceeded (at least my) expectations. Saratoga makes a good related point though: Some players blossom with more PT. I think Marshall is one of those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Kedsy is clearly communicating he supports Marshall Plumlee as a Duke basketball player and desires to see him develop into a viable option for the team. Development can and does happen in practice. I agree with Kedsy, increasing Plumlee's playing time means decreasing Amile Jefferson or Jahlil Okafor's playing time, which is detrimental to the team. Plumlee is doing great in the 9-10 mpg role he is currently playing.
    Bob;

I'm of a different opinion. As I remember, the argument was made on multiple threads last year for a variety of reasons as to why MP3 should be getting less than, as I recall it was 7mpg, the playing time he was getting. Further he should take NO time from any players on the court. So support for MP3 might be stated, but not for him being on the court until he has proven himself.

I don't think his being on the court is detrimental to the team in the LONG run, especially if he gets more time against the lesser competition on Duke's schedule. I think players develop in the game much more quickly than on the bench. I certainly am not going to carp about coach K developing another tactical option.

Amile's Minutes

Out of curiosity, I just checked Amile's minutes so far this season. I assumed he was playing around 30mpg, but, in fact, he's only broken 30 twice (against Connecticut and Temple). In all other games, he's played between 20 and 25. That means about half of Winslow's playing time is at PF. That might be another reason to try a Marshall-Okafor combo.

I think the biggest reason for the consideration of playing Plumlee and Okafor together - even just for a bit - is an acknowledgement that there may be matchups down the road in which we can't get away with playing Winslow at PF for long stretches. For example, I don't think we'd fare well against UK or Arizona with Winslow logging big minutes at PF. Teams that will play two talented bigs for most (if not all) of the game are going to put a strain on our rotations.

We aren't likely to be able to play Jefferson for 40 minutes. As such we may need to steal 3-5 minutes each game with Plumlee playing alongside Okafor.

Maybe it never proves necessary. But it is an experiment probably worth testing in the event that it proves necessary.

It's happening right now!!!

Marshall is getting a lot of minutes today including a substantial portion as part of a twin towers lineup. And just as I type that Jahlil subs in for him.

The Twin Towers Experiment

From the scacchoops box and related data, it looks like the Plumlee + Okafor lineup played three minutes and was plus 2. MP3 was in with the usual three perimeter starters.

Doing a little extrapolation (hey, if I don't someone else will), that works out to nearly + 27/40 minutes, meaning an almost national championship!