Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by LetItBD08 View Post
    dukie8 - I'm going to have to completely agree with DukeCO2009. That feeling that I had when that pass was incomplete rivaled the Dockery shot, that 71-70 nailbiter against UNC in Cameron my freshman year, and Dave's last second shot. Plus the fact that so many other Duke students felt the same way when I thought so little people cared was something really special. I understand that we could hide behind our semi-anonymous names on these boards, but show some respect for a fellow happy Blue Devil.
    I'd add to that the UNC game that sealed the undefeated women's season our junior year, the complete destruction of #2 Texas our sophomore year, and the Clemson football game our freshman year. Off the top of my head, those are probably the 7 best Duke sports moments during our time here.

Quote Originally Posted by LetItBD08 View Post
    Tell me about it DU82. I really hope that this will go a long way to getting more of us to stay for the games. We keep on hearing the rhetoric about how the team has to learn to win, well whatever that means hopefully it'll carry over to us students.

dukie8 - I'm going to have to completely agree with DukeCO2009. That feeling that I had when that pass was incomplete rivaled the Dockery shot, that 71-70 nailbiter against UNC in Cameron my freshman year, and Dave's last second shot. Plus the fact that so many other Duke students felt the same way when I thought so little people cared was something really special. I understand that we could hide behind our semi-anonymous names on these boards, but show some respect for a fellow happy Blue Devil.
    i thought he was referring to pulling down the goalposts as one of his coolest experiences -- not watching the game -- because that's how his post was written. pulling down goalposts isn't what i consider a fun activity and, as evidenced by last night, can be very dangerous. i never have understood this "tradition."

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    i thought he was referring to pulling down the goalposts as one of his coolest experiences -- not watching the game -- because that's how his post was written. pulling down goalposts isn't what i consider a fun activity and, as evidenced by last night, can be very dangerous. i never have understood this "tradition."
    i'm guessing youre no longer a teenager

goalposts

Not to make light of the young lady that was injured, but did anybody else notice her name?

Wasn't Priya Patel one of Harry Potter's classmates at Hogworts? I think Harry dated her twin sister at the Christmas Ball in the GOF book.

The good news is that if she's a witch, any injuries should be easily cured, unless of course the goal post that hit her was cursed -- which would indeed explain a lot about Duke's current struggles on the football field!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Not to make light of the young lady that was injured, but did anybody else notice her name?

Wasn't Priya Patel one of Harry Potter's classmates at Hogworts? I think Harry dated her twin sister at the Christmas Ball in the GOF book.

The good news is that if she's a witch, any injuries should be easily cured, unless of course the goal post that hit her was cursed -- which would indeed explain a lot about Duke's current struggles on the football field!
    They were Parvati (Gryffindor) and Padma (Ravenclaw) I believe. And it's Patil, not Patel like in this case.

why don't they have...

Do they have the goalposts that were engineered by (I think) the VA Tech engineering department? I know a lot of schools are using them now. Basically, instead of being one piece, they are two pieces, with a bolt and large wrench-shaped pieces that are used to slowly lower the posts. That way, the students can march them around to their hearts' content without damaging the posts too much, and with less risk of injury, and the posts can just be reconnected afterwards. The schools that have them have managers assigned to lower the posts as soon as the final whistle blows, so the posts are ready to go if field-storming and post stealing occurs.

I think the all-time keeping of a piece of post has to be a couple of my buds from the classes of '98 and '99. They went back, unscrewed one of the uprights, and loaded it diagonal floor to ceiling in their dorm room by taking it through a second story window across the hall. I'll never forget going to visit them (I was class of '97) only to find this giant, yellow rod bisecting their room. It was great. The problem came when they had to get rid of it at the end of the year!

Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    i'm sorry but tearing down the goalposts does not = cool. That in itself can cause a lot of injuries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    So can drinking, playing basketball, and crossing the street. Like most everything else, there are responsible ways to tear down goalposts and there are stupid ways to tear down goalposts, and if you don't do the stupid things (one of which unfortunately did happen this time), tearing down goalposts after a victory like this is awesome.
    I've just never seen them go down without someone getting hurt...like this one.

Army

The goalposts came down in 1997 too, after we beat Army at home to end another ~20+ game losing streak...heady times...

The goalposts came down in '83 in the game against NC State. That was the first night game in Duke history, a Thursday night; temporary lights were trucked in. Duke scored on a touchdown pass from Bennett to Militello on what I think was the last play of the game.

Unlike the other goalpost tear downs in this thread, we didn't break a long losing streak in that game, it was just an exciting win. So we tore down the goalposts.

And to the best of my recollection, nobody was hurt. My recollection is pretty fuzzy, though, only partially because it has been a long time since that game happened. My recollection was pretty fuzzy the day after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by gvtucker View Post
    The goalposts came down in '83 in the game against NC State. it was just an exciting win. So we tore down the goalposts.

And to the best of my recollection, nobody was hurt. My recollection is pretty fuzzy, though, only partially because it has been a long time since that game happened. My recollection was pretty fuzzy the day after the game.
    You were fuzzy? You must have gotten hit in the head by the goal post. Or hung over...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com