Thread: Semi SMU

Semi SMU

Semi Ojeleye has committed to SMU

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...le-next-season

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Best of luck to Semi.

As for his choice of destination, my momma told me that if you don't have anything nice to say not to say anything at all.....
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Best of luck to Semi.

As for his choice of destination, my momma told me that if you don't have anything nice to say not to say anything at all.....
    Well I will say that I find this an odd choice. I suppose he has his reasons. A decent chance that Larry may not be there the entire time he is eligible. The guy will be 75 next year!

How much woud Larry Brown love to canyon into a primary player?

Well, I'm not sure what his major is, but SMU has a great business school. I also know he is big on his Christian faith. Makes sense.

Good luck, Semi!

God luck Semi. Seems like a good kid, I wish him success.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Well, I'm not sure what his major is, but SMU has a great business school. I also know he is big on his Christian faith. Makes sense.

Good luck, Semi!
    Semi is smart with good family around him. I feel confident that he's weighed all the considerations and chosen the right school for him, all things (important to him and his family) considered. I don't share any disappointment whatsoever that he didn't end up at what people from soi disant elite schools count as elite schools.

I'm not even sure what this means... SMU is a wonderful university with a gorgeous campus situated just outside of downtown Dallas...

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    I'm not even sure what this means... SMU is a wonderful university with a gorgeous campus situated just outside of downtown Dallas...
    I know next to nothing about SMU as an academic institution or the beauty of its campus.

My comments about SMU were solely directed towards what is likely the most important consideration for a transferring DI basketball player, the basketball program.

These comments were also directed primarily toward the coach, Larry Brown. I am not a big fan of Larry Brown, whose only previous college jobs (UCLA and Kansas) were placed on probation after he left. Brown also coached many NBA teams but only lasted more than 4 years at one spot (Philly) and he typically seems to cut and run when his methods are looked into closely (college) or the results aren't all that great (NBA). His win-now-at-whatever-cost mentality seems to be continuing at SMU with the recruitment of Emmanual Mudiay.

I hope that Semi doesn't end up in an unstable situation where the coach leaves before his eligibility is used up. Although as dukelifer noted up thread that might be a good thing.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

I know next to nothing about SMU as an academic institution or the beauty of its campus.

My comments about SMU were solely directed towards what is likely the most important consideration for a transferring DI basketball player, the basketball program.

These comments were also directed primarily toward the coach, Larry Brown. I am not a big fan of Larry Brown, whose only previous college jobs (UCLA and Kansas) were placed on probation after he left. Brown also coached many NBA teams but only lasted more than 4 years at one spot (Philly) and he typically seems to cut and run when his methods are looked into closely (college) or the results aren't all that great (NBA). His win-now-at-whatever-cost mentality seems to be continuing at SMU with the recruitment of Emmanual Mudiay.

I hope that Semi doesn't end up in an unstable situation where the coach leaves before his eligibility is used up. Although as dukelifer noted up thread that might be a good thing.
    Anthony I. Kornheiser's opinion on his old college counselor bear repeating: "After two years, Larry starts to hate his players, and they begin to feel the same way about him." Larry Brown is a helluva basketball coach but is sorely lacking in administrative skills. His disastrous tenure with Team USA led to a total reconstruction of the program with Colangelo and K building a real program from scratch. LB in 2004 wanted and got control over the roster, and then during the Olympics complained about the quality of the players he was "given."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I know this topic is old news to some degree, but the current roster situation made me think of Semi.

At the time of his transfer (all the other playing time questions aside), I wondered why Semi didn't think the chance to make a run at a Final Four was worth one more semester at Duke. Too bad for him and us that it turned out not to be important enough. I think he would have helped this team down the stretch.

Oh well, next play.
    Windy City Devil

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    I know this topic is old news to some degree, but the current roster situation made me think of Semi.

At the time of his transfer (all the other playing time questions aside), I wondered why Semi didn't think the chance to make a run at a Final Four was worth one more semester at Duke. Too bad for him and us that it turned out not to be important enough. I think he would have helped this team down the stretch.

Oh well, next play.
    I have thought about this quite a bit lately as well. I do wish Semi would have had enough patience to stick it out the remainder of this season (Disclaimer: That is fully based on assuming that playing time was the main driver of his decision to leave. I could be totally wrong on that and the transfer was based on something else important to him and not about PT. So my comments are only about and valid, if the driver was PT).

I said in the transfer thread when it happened, and still fully believe that Semi was good enough to develop into a main rotation player as a Junior and Senior and possibly a starter by his Senior year. People can say what they want about K's rotation habits and state that Rasheed's leaving would have led to zero extra minutes for Semi, but I am not all convinced of that. It is possible that were Semi still on the team, K would have used him more as a sub at the wing positions. Also with the injuries Winslow has been experiencing, and Amile slipping back into "non-aggressive" mode on offense, K may have used Semi more at the PF position as well. Semi could help this team right now on defense at both the 3 and 4 positions. I for one really wish he was still on the team. It is possible he would have earned limited minutes in both halves game in and game out the rest of this season given the above mentioned points.

Water under the bridge, ship has sailed, next play and all that. I get it. Thinking of what could have been though is something I reserve the right to do. Silent G is another guy that would have played as a Jr and Sr as well. Would love to have him on the squad right now too.

I wish Semi well at SMU and will pull for him to have success. Same for Silent G. Bummer that he has to pay for the sins of others and experience no tourney play of any kind this season as well.