People, enough already

I haven't been posting much lately, but I've tried to deal with an increasing number of issues that are popping up for moderators. And I don't like what I'm seeing.

Virtually every board has taken a turn for the worse. Whether it's Duke sports, public policy or lax, the problems are the same -- there's an attitude of growing nastiness, fueled largely by a number of one-trick ponies who keep posting the same thing, ad nauseum.

You'll notice changes in the infractions policies listed at the top of this forum that are designed to deal with some of these problems, but that's a last-ditch approach of reaction. We need to take proactive steps. And, quite frankly, all that's necessary is adhearing to the following approach: Think Before You Post.

Whether you're angry about Duke's continued struggles in football, the hangover from the lax case, the upcoming election or Duke's basketball recruiting, ask yourself the following questions (if they apply to that subject):
    1) How might someone associated with one of the teams in question read this?
    2) How might the poster I'm attacking read this?
    3) Is my post offering anything of substance to this community?
    4) Have I already made this point on multiple occasions? If so, what am I adding by posting again?
    5) Can I support my argument with cold, hard facts?

Then, react as follows:
    1) If you think it would seriously offend that person, tone it down.
    2) See above.
    3) If not, why post?
    4) Advance the argument with something new. Otherwise, assume that everyone knows your point of view, and that all you'd be doing is engaging in a urinating contest.
    5) If not, it's probably not worth posting. (Obviously, this is different if the topic is "do you like grilled cheese?" as opposed to "Duke's fundraising is suffering because of the lax case.") Most topics are like the latter, and if you can't back up your assertions, don't post. Period.

I'm worried, folks. It's not even basketball season yet, and we're having problems. Rest assured that when the floodgates open come Midnight Madness, we won't put up with the trend we're seeing. So, now's the time to make whatever changes are necessary to remain a member of this community. Let's clean things up, ok?

Obviously you have far more experience in these matters than I do, but I think a major reason for the problems is that many of us are just going nuts waiting for the season to start. Once October 15th rolls around, and practice begins, and we have some hard news, we will cool down. Right now it is just by guess and by golly, and what I know (precious little) is just as good as what you know. If you could just plunk your magic twanger, froggy, and make it 5 or 6 weeks later, many problems would disappear. And, if you don't understand the reference, you suffer from the problem of being young, a problem I would give a bunch to share!

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Obviously you have far more experience in these matters than I do, but I think a major reason for the problems is that many of us are just going nuts waiting for the season to start. Once October 15th rolls around, and practice begins, and we have some hard news, we will cool down. Right now it is just by guess and by golly, and what I know (precious little) is just as good as what you know. If you could just plunk your magic twanger, froggy, and make it 5 or 6 weeks later, many problems would disappear. And, if you don't understand the reference, you suffer from the problem of being young, a problem I would give a bunch to share!
    I don't agree mgtr. I think the level of discourse has fallen because we are reflecting the general level of discourse in the country. This board held that level to a higher standard when posts went through the review and authorization process. We are failing at self-discipline. I hope the level is raised. (And I know about the magic twanger and remember it very well. It was popular when I was already into my career.)

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I don't agree mgtr. I think the level of discourse has fallen because we are reflecting the general level of discourse in the country. This board held that level to a higher standard when posts went through the review and authorization process. We are failing at self-discipline. I hope the level is raised. (And I know about the magic twanger and remember it very well. It was popular when I was already into my career.)
    Does this become a nature versus nurture debate? Personally, I have always favored nurture as the stronger influence. While I agree we are failing at self-discipline, I don't think the general level of discourse in the country has one wit to do with it. I would agree with mgtr that the discourse will likely improve once we get closer to b-ball time, there doesn't seem to be enough good to say about the current endeavours on the gridiron to lift the melancholy infecting many posters. I do believe that the mood will be self-correcting over time to a happier state than the one reflected currently.

I wasn't a big user of the boards in their prior incarnations, took way too long to post and of course the worries about getting through the gauntlet. With that said, some of the board has changed significantly in its make-up.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Sorry, but history has shown that things only get worse during basketball season, regardless of Duke's level of success. And claiming the current problems are a result of, essentially, boredom is an excuse -- and there are no excuses for what we're seeing. Again, posters need to shape up now, because if this continues into basketball season, we'll have no choice but to do it for them.

Amen

Sorry, but history has shown that things only get worse during basketball season, regardless of Duke's level of success.
    This is a fact. I waited until August to rejoin the new board despite being a member since around '98. And then I promptly put 16 posters on my ignore list. It's not something I'm proud of. But, it's the only way I can survive here, as I probably have a lower threshold of tolerance towards weathering some of the extreme and seemingly never-ending negativity which often takes place here. For now, I'm just kind of easing my way back in on the off-topic forum, which seems pleasant and benign for the most part.

Thanks, Jumbo. I've always enjoyed your thoughtful, insightful posts. I sure hope this coming season fares better (discussion-wise) than the last one.

Yes

Amen! Thanks for the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    Amen! Thanks for the thread!
    Thanks from this corner too! Well said Jumbo.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Thanks Jumbo ... and -jk earlier, for the Board Decorum sticky.

And while we're dishing out thanks, Ozzie has more than lived up to his title "paradigm of optimism." Thanks for clarifying 1980's Duke football issues that I had been wrestling with for many years. Hopefully you're also the "oracle of optimism"! I'll go along with your original prediction, and will try my best to make it up for the Chapaheeya game. It depends on my parents' health.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Well, I accept the greater wisdom of those who have been around the board longer than I. However, I will be calmer and more thoughtful when the season begins -- I will actually have some facts and actions to think about. My wife and I wil both put on our Duke shirts, Duke socks, drink out of Duke glasses, open things with our Duke bottle opener, and use our Duke coasters. Go Duke!!!!