Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Justise Winslow

Justise Winslow

Is anyone else reminded of Vince Carter when they see the athleticism and explosiveness of Justice?

Quote Originally Posted by wcepstein View Post
    Is anyone else reminded of Vince Carter when they see the athleticism and explosiveness of Justice?
    This thread reminds me of Sheldon Williams, JJ Reddick, Tyler Thorton, Quin Cook, Josh Harrison, and Greg Zoubek, amongst others.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Well played, FDD. I can't wait until Alan Grayson gets more PT!

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Well played, FDD. I can't wait until Alan Grayson gets more PT!
    My favorite moment came in our game against Fairfield. The announcer (forgot who) said, "Grayson Allen shoots the three...excuse me, I meant Alan Grayson". I couldn't stop laughing.

In the announcers defense, there are a lot of new names to remember, and Grayson Allen does have one of those rare names that does sound "Last-Name First-Name".
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    My favorite moment came in our game against Fairfield. The announcer (forgot who) said, "Grayson Allen shoots the three...excuse me, I meant Alan Grayson". I couldn't stop laughing.

In the announcers defense, there are a lot of new names to remember, and Grayson Allen does have one of those rare names that does sound "Last-Name First-Name".
    It was Doris Burke. I roooooooolled my eyes at that one.

Doris Burke fumbled that one, but so have I on this Board.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Doris Burke fumbled that one, but so have I on this Board.
    When Big Bang Theory was novel and entertaining (first couple of years), I went through a spell (pun intended) of writing "Sheldon Williams".

We all make grammatically mistakes, but Justice Winslow is really taking the cake.

Yep, well we fumbled far, far, far more of our share last night in Wade. Justise is superb and I'll bet he'd actually be pleased to be mentioned with Vince Carter, one of the least objectionable hole players I've ever watched.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    ... Justise is superb and I'll bet he'd actually be pleased to be mentioned with Vince Carter, one of the least objectionable hole players I've ever watched.
    Perhaps the last heel player to take pride in a college education

Hmmmmm. Is Vince Carter a good comp? Or maybe Michael Kidd-Gilchrist? I need to see a few more games.

I think Carter was a bit of a pretty boy on the court. He didnt do much of the dirty work and avoided contact. He probably had a better shot in college than Winslow. That is why I brought up MKG - does a little of everything, great motor, still a bit raw. That could describe Winslow too.

Looks like he got it right in the title. Or did a mod change that?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Yep, well we fumbled far, far, far more of our share last night in Wade. Justise is superb and I'll bet he'd actually be pleased to be mentioned with Vince Carter, one of the least objectionable hole players I've ever watched.
    I love what I see so far in Winslow, but I don't think we'll ever see something like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAkDunfhiCI

I disliked Carter while at UNC, but somewhere in his 17 years in the NBA he began to grow on me.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Hmmmmm. Is Vince Carter a good comp? Or maybe Michael Kidd-Gilchrist? I need to see a few more games.

I think Carter was a bit of a pretty boy on the court. He didnt do much of the dirty work and avoided contact. He probably had a better shot in college than Winslow. That is why I brought up MKG - does a little of everything, great motor, still a bit raw. That could describe Winslow too.
    I don't really like the MKG reference. In five games, Winslow has already proven that he can shoot the ball better than MKG ever could. MKG's leadership is much better than Winslow, but that may be a product of Winslow not being asked to lead. MKG is more of the ideal glue guy while Winslow is a Swiss Army Knife (Amile, to me, is a bigger glue guy than Winslow).

Carter makes sense: same height, similar weight, insane athleticism...Carter is arguably a better shooter and Winslow a better defender.

Winslow is like a homeless man's Lebron to me: he can do everything - passing, rebounding, shooting, driving, defense, fast breaks, put backs - just not as well as Lebron.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Winslow is like a homeless man's Lebron to me: he can do everything - passing, rebounding, shooting, driving, defense, fast breaks, put backs - just not as well as Lebron.
    Reading the Eamonn Brennan piece the other day, I was thinking that he was just describing a player like Lebron, if Lebron was just an ordinary athletic monster instead of a Monstar. Justise seems to have skills in all facets of the game.

Winslow doesn't remind me of Vince Carter as much as he reminds me of an aircraft carrier. You could land a jet on his shoulders.

Here's what it looks like to have Winslow and his team mates bearing down on you on the break:

Attachment 4508

I don't really like the MKG reference. In five games, Winslow has already proven that he can shoot the ball better than MKG ever could. MKG's leadership is much better than Winslow, but that may be a product of Winslow not being asked to lead. MKG is more of the ideal glue guy while Winslow is a Swiss Army Knife (Amile, to me, is a bigger glue guy than Winslow).

Carter makes sense: same height, similar weight, insane athleticism...Carter is arguably a better shooter and Winslow a better defender.

Vince was a 3 who was dying to be a 2 because he was soft. Winslow has no issues with that.

Do we dare put Winslow in the same discussion of freakish athletic ability as Carter? I do not see it. Or I have not seen it yet. Carter is on a level with Jordan, Dominique and a couple of others.

I'm not sure he compares with Carter... when I look at Winslow, I think of DeMarcus Nelson with the body to match his skill set. DeMarcus was 2-3 inches away from a long NBA career.

Nope, not one bit.

Carter was pretty much a freak athlete above the rim with a very long wingspan. Winslow is very explosive, but athletically not unlike many other players out there right now.

I remember reading some things in the past about Dean being a little frustrated with Vince at times, mostly due to his lack of commitment to defense and up and down focus. Could have been hearsay, but was something that could be interpreted watching his games. He was, however, a heck of a perimeter scorer by his sophomore and junior years. In his NBA prime, Carter was the type of guy other players hated playing with. And I have to say that Vince probably goes down as my most disliked tarheel of all time. Despite his enormous talents, I feel like we dodged a bullet with that recruiting miss.

Winslow in contrast, commits himself defensively. Even at this early stage this seems clear. And though we're only 3 games in with really only one competitive opponent so far, we haven't seen anything to suggest a kid who puts himself on an emotional rollercoaster with over-exuberance when things are going well and pouting when things aren't.

So no, so far as I've watched Winslow play - Vince Carter is not even close to someone who comes to mind.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Vince was a 3 who was dying to be a 2 because he was soft. Winslow has no issues with that.

Do we dare put Winslow in the same discussion of freakish athletic ability as Carter? I do not see it. Or I have not seen it yet. Carter is on a level with Jordan, Dominique and a couple of others.
    Yeah, I don't see the VC comp at all.

It's clear that Winslow is going to be much more effective as a frosh than VC ever was. VC struggled out of the gate and had a much better sophomore year.

Winslow's shot is just as good, if not better than VC's, as a freshman anyway. I don't get the people that are saying that VC had a better shot. He didn't get the green light to shoot from Dean.

Finally, Vince Carter was not a likable 'Heel. The guy was just about a notch below McCants and Ndiaye as far as likability. He was pretty out of control with the swagger in college.

We all make grammatically mistakes
    Well isn't that true?