Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Unofficial 2014-15 Announcer Thread

Please post your thoughts on Dickie V., Doris Burke, Jay Bilas, Seth Greenberg, and any other announcer in this thread!

This is a great thread idea.

It took Doris Burke 5 possessions to mention that we had gone to a zone defense. She was too busy talking about Greg Popovich to notice.

Dickie V incorrectly used "infer" when he meanth "imply" during the Duke-MSU game and Dan Shulman corrected him. It was awesome, baby.

Not Lenny

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Please post your thoughts on Dickie V., Doris Burke, Jay Bilas, Seth Greenberg, and any other announcer in this thread!
    ANYONE except Len Elmore!!

Burke - fan
    Bilas - fan
    Greenberg - fan
    Gottlieb - kinda a fan (DBR ain't gonna like that one)
    Shulman - fan
    Elmore - don't mind

Basically, I'm a fan of announcers, whether they are play-by-play or color. It's background noise to me most of the time as I'm usually socializing or watching it in a bar. However...

Dickie V - not a fan. The voice, the over-excitement over the smallest thing (basically he's an old kid in a metaphorical candy shop), the complete bias for the better team... It's really unbearable
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I secretly wished Chris Spatola had been the color guy for the UK/KU game the other night, so he could again make reference to palindromes.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Cool

To be honest almost everyone they have except Burke and Vitale. Jay is probably my favorite, just because he know what he's doing the most.

Quote Originally Posted by dbcooper View Post
    ANYONE except Len Elmore!!
    We need the Jon Stewart shout jar to capture all Lenny comments...

Shout Jar.jpg
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

There are lots of games where I don't even notice the announcers. The bad thing is that when I notice them it's usually when they are either anti-Duke or blatantly rooting for the other team. I don't mind Dickie-V but I recognize that he has gotten worse over the years. He's always had the energy and love of the game but he used to stay on topic more than he does now. Len Elmore is someone I can't stand. He doesn't like Duke and he doesn't hide it very well. Jay Bilas does a great d job. He tends to be better when he's not the announcer for a Duke game (that way he can complement both teams).

I hate when Doris Burke calls one of our games. Does anyone know of a radio station that carries the Bob Harris call streaming live online?

Bobby Knight any day. He's the best. Would love to see more of him. Anyone know if he's still announcing this year?

I'll second Bobby Knight, all day, everyday. That guy has forgotten more about the game than most coaches remember. Plus he doesn't care for Cal too much....

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    Bobby Knight any day. He's the best. Would love to see more of him.
    ^^^ This! Plus (please!) No-More-Elmore.

As for Vitale, I'm just looking forward to the day that he calls his first Carolina game of the season & tries to trot out that schlock about "Always doing things the right way; never a hint of scandal," only to have Shulman full-on call him out about it.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Len Elmore

Every time Len Elmore opens his mouth during a Duke game and a sound comes out of it, my life just gets a little bit less happy. I find the fact that they let him call Duke games offensive.

He'll take a great defensive play by Duke and blame it on a bad no-call by the refs. Duke's offenses are never great - opponents' defenses are only terrible. By the 12 minute mark of the first half he will have already had a couple coaching sessions on what the other team needs to do to beat Duke.

I'm pretty mild-mannered. Have read DBR for many years and only posted a few times - mostly pretty positive. But in my mind Len Elmore brings out the absolute worst of everything.

Jay's suit

Did anyone else notice on Thursday night how poorly Ja(y)son Williams's suit jacket fit him?

I mean, it was really bad. Greenberg and Bilas looked sharp. Jay's was cinched around his traps and tight at his stomach. With his build, if his jackets are not altered, they are gonna look really weird.

Doris Burke is the only announcer that makes we wish Dickie V was doing the game instead. Even my wife, who rarely watches a basketball game, can't stand her.

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    Bobby Knight any day. He's the best. Would love to see more of him. Anyone know if he's still announcing this year?
    I love when guys like he and calhoun do some analysis...i know people here hate him...but he's darn good at recognizing what's going on on the floor...he did a good job during interviews during uconn games last year, and had some nice tidbits during the UK/KU game yesterday
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by chadlee989 View Post
    I hate when Doris Burke calls one of our games. Does anyone know of a radio station that carries the Bob Harris call streaming live online?
    Tunein Radio - Blue Devil IMG Sports Network

Quote Originally Posted by oakvillebluedevil View Post
    Every time Len Elmore opens his mouth during a Duke game and a sound comes out of it, my life just gets a little bit less happy. I find the fact that they let him call Duke games offensive.

He'll take a great defensive play by Duke and blame it on a bad no-call by the refs. Duke's offenses are never great - opponents' defenses are only terrible. By the 12 minute mark of the first half he will have already had a couple coaching sessions on what the other team needs to do to beat Duke.

I'm pretty mild-mannered. Have read DBR for many years and only posted a few times - mostly pretty positive. But in my mind Len Elmore brings out the absolute worst of everything.
    I couldn't agree more with what oakvillebluedevil is saying here. The point he makes about Elmore going over what the other team needs to do to beat Duke is spot on. That drives me crazy and he does it over and over during every Duke game he works.

I had an appointment at Duke Ortho one time on a game day. When I was walking out to my truck, I saw Elmore in the parking lot. I was bummed because that meant he was going to be broadcasting the game that night. I thought about politely asking him to back off the Duke-hate during games but I figured it wouldn't make any difference. Of course I should have just asked him what the other team needed to do to win.

Yea, I love Dickie V as a person....but he is incredibly annoying as an announcer. My view on announcers is that "less is more". I think sports in this country (thanks ESPN) have become incredibly over analyzed and over hyped. I tend to zone out on the announcers.

I'm not sure what people don't like about Doris Burke; she isn't incredibly incisive like Bobby Knight, but few announcers are. She seems perfectly inoffensive and unnoticeable to me.

And at least she comments on what's actually happening on the court; I cannot imagine ever preferring Dick Vitale's digressions and inanities.