Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    article based on an SI interview regarding the documentary.
    http://www.si.com/more-sports/2014/1...duke-30-for-30

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    1) Laettner was a great college player? True 2) Laettner loves Duke? True. 3) Laettner epitomized Duke? True. 4) Duke fans love Laettner? True. 5) Other college fan bases, which is at least 50x bigger than Duke fan bases, hate Laettner? True.

Laettner is hated for so many reasons: he was cocky, he played with a program that just wins (what do the Cowboys, Yankees, and Notre Dame have in common?), he played better in the spotlight, he was clutch, he took down a potential dynasty in UNLV (with help), he took down a wannabe dynasty (Fab Five), he is shown at least 32 times a year with "The Shot" in the month of March, and he's white.
    I agree with the main point. Small correction though. I am not sure that the Cowboys winning one playoff game since 1996 puts them in the pantheon of great winners like Notre Dame and the Yankees, who still make a habit of winning from time to time.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by 83and86 View Post
    I agree with the main point. Small correction though. I am not sure that the Cowboys winning one playoff game since 1996 puts them in the pantheon of great winners like Notre Dame and the Yankees, who still make a habit of winning from time to time.
    More specifically, all of those programs were winners when most of today's prominent sportswriters were coming of age, which is why we collectively continue to hear about how hated they are. Ask a sportswriter who graduated high school in 2005, and they'll tell you that the most prominent college football program is Alabama or maybe USC, and in baseball it's Boston, St. Louis, or San Francisco.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    One of the great things about enduring Laettner hate is how easy it is to get the haters fired up, and the random places where you see it happening.

I don't tweet, but I follow some political commentators that I enjoy on twitter. One is Mary Katherine Ham, a conservative with a pretty good sense of humor. I saw a few tweets from her provoking the Laettner haters this morning in reference to the upcoming 30 for 30 special. (A quick wikipedia check shows, while she went to UGa, she grew up in Durham and went to Riverside High). As a Duke fan, I try to have the same fun with it. Laettner, in college, was an awesome player, and he enjoyed playing the villain. At this point, he seems to still embrace the villain role. Since time is clearly not going to help the Laettner haters become more rational, might as well have fun with their irrationality. When KY fans accuse him of "physically assaulting" Aminu Timberlake, about all you can do is laugh. Because in their minds, the decades haven't healed Timberlake's wounds from that foot-tap. 22 years later, in KY world, the poor guy was killed dead on the spot as Laettner put the sole of his foot straight through Aminu's beating heart (which Coach K then ate before it had a chance to stop beating).
    You said it. It's really a good lesson in how the mind works - in particular, long term memory - which is a story we tell ourselves again and again, which evolves with each telling. Once in awhile I'll talk to a Kentucky fan and just ask them what they remember about that incident. They remember it as being far more violent than it was. But I don't blame them for not wanting to watch the tape over and over, like we do. But still, we have watched the game enough times that we are able to offer our rejoinder: "If you think the stomp was that vicious, how do you explain the fact that TImberlake popped up smiling and clapping, knowing that Laettner had just earned himself a technical foul?"* They're dumbfounded at this in two ways. First, that Timberlake was happy afterwards - up and clapping, not writhing in pain. Second, that Laettner got a technical foul. Many of them think he "got away with it" entirely. So the story becomes more unjust with each telling.

I like the fact that Laettner is smart enough (or cocky enough) to refrain from pleading his case. Instead, with rolled eyes and a smile, he'll say, "C'mon, it was just a love tap."

* even my memory was imperfect here ... and may still be: I used to tell the story as Timberlake being happy he had baited Laettner into committing a technical foul. But IIRC I later watched it over and over and it appears that Laettner thought Timberlake undercut him on the way to the basket, when in fact it was a different KY player that did (Farmer maybe?). I also remember about the only guy defending Laettner was Bill Walton, who explained that he was on the receiving end of many such undercuttings, and that it was dangerous to do that to a big guy who are very vulnerable when they go up ... you can't undercut them without them risking their head hitting the floor from quite a height. At the least their arms would be at risk, breaking the fall.

Laettner had also had just about enough of dirty play in the lane. One or two possessions prior to the "love tap," Feldhaus shoved him in the back toward the basket stanchion, yelling at him while he did it.

Actor/DukeParent Rob Lowe was on K's radio show last week, and apparently is a producer of this episode.

It was the good Rob Lowe, not the LyingCarolinaFan Rob Lowe.

I'm Rob Lowe, I root for Duke.

And I'm Harbor-Grudges-For-20-Years Rob Lowe, I root for Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Actor/DukeParent Rob Lowe was on K's radio show last week, and apparently is a producer of this episode.

Can't spork you but wish I could. I was getting tired of those commercials but this will make me ok with them for a while longer.

Can't wait to watch this episode of 30 for 30.

Geez-o-Pete, have I missed spotting Rob Lowe in Cameron?!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Geez-o-Pete, have I missed spotting Rob Lowe in Cameron?!
    He said he has been to games, and is a big fan. His kid (daughter, maybe?) was trying to adjust from Southern Cali to a winter in Der'm.

But Lowe sounded pretty knowledgeable about hoops and said he was a huge Duke fan. He and K we're a mutual admiration society of two.

He said he has been to games, and is a big fan. His kid (daughter, maybe?) was trying to adjust from Southern Cali to a winter in Der'm.

But Lowe sounded pretty knowledgeable about hoops and said he was a huge Duke fan. He and K we're a mutual admiration society of two.
    Well, phooey. Neither of them thought to let poor weezie know when R. Lowe was in the building.

Lowe has a son at Duke. His oldest son is, I think, a sophomore.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Oh, how I wish I could spork you for this one! I will just have to wait until I can get you again.

ricks

Rob Lowe is listed as the narrator for this documentary. Should be fun and informative to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    1) Laettner was a great college player? True 2) Laettner loves Duke? True. 3) Laettner epitomized Duke? True. 4) Duke fans love Laettner? True. 5) Other college fan bases, which is at least 50x bigger than Duke fan bases, hate Laettner? True.

Laettner is hated for so many reasons: he was cocky, he played with a program that just wins (what do the Cowboys, Yankees, and Notre Dame have in common?), he played better in the spotlight, he was clutch, he took down a potential dynasty in UNLV (with help), he took down a wannabe dynasty (Fab Five), he is shown at least 32 times a year with "The Shot" in the month of March, and he's white.
    Great post. I don't think the animosity many felt towards Laettner can be overstated. Danny Ferry probably got the Duke hate ball rolling on a national level but Laettner put it into orbit. I was 12 years old when he hit the shot and I remember the disdain for Laettner expressed by most of the men at my all black church and the barber shop I went to each Saturday morning. It was palpable. Everytime I see the shot I remember what my pastor's adult son said right afterwards..."I wanted to throwup"

i am eager to watch and will laugh at the haters

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Great post. I don't think the animosity many felt towards Laettner can be overstated. Danny Ferry probably got the Duke hate ball rolling on a national level but Laettner put it into orbit. I was 12 years old when he hit the shot and I remember the disdain for Laettner expressed by most of the men at my all black church and the barber shop I went to each Saturday morning. It was palpable. Everytime I see the shot I remember what my pastor's adult son said right afterwards..."I wanted to throwup"
    Listened to XM College Basketball this morning. This show is always dominated by KY fans and their greatest fear (repeated by several) is Duke ruining their perfect season. It'll sad if Wisconsin or UVA end their season, but if its Duke, many lives will be ruined.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    Listened to XM College Basketball this morning. This show is always dominated by KY fans and their greatest fear (repeated by several) is Duke ruining their perfect season. It'll sad if Wisconsin or UVA end their season, but if its Duke, many lives will be ruined.
    I hadn't considered this. This would be on the level of "your tears are delicious" trauma for an entire fanhood.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    I would happily risk the chance of them beating us or even blowing us out for the chance to ruin their undefeated season.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I would happily risk the chance of them beating us or even blowing us out for the chance to ruin their undefeated season.
    I second this. It's why I have been referring to them as UKLV every chance I get.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."