Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post

JJ has nothing to worry about. The starting five is Laettner, Laettner again, Laettner a third time, JJ and Hurley.

If we're doing a true starting five, I think it would be Laettner, Hurley, J.J., Wojo, and Collins -- though you could make an argument for starting Ferry and bringing Collins off the bench as the sixth man.

Someone mentioned Gerald Henderson, but I think that's really just a Chapel Hill thing because of The Foul. Outside of UNC, I don't think Henderson is as universally and irrationally reviled as the others.

Quote Originally Posted by dukerev View Post
    What if I told you that a multi-media conglomerate found a way to make money off of the irrational hatred of millions of people for a man they never met?
    Inconceivable!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    If we're doing a true starting five, I think it would be Laettner, Hurley, J.J., Wojo, and Collins -- though you could make an argument for starting Ferry and bringing Collins off the bench as the sixth man.
    I think that's about right. Noticing a trend there. Not saying anything, I'm just, you know, sayin'.

I find that, all these years later, the hatred for Wojo still runs really, really deep for a lot of people between 35 and 45 years old. Always comes back to the floor slapping. Even know a few Marquette fans who had a hard time until he gave his first press conference in Milwaukee. I actually think he's no. 2 on the hated Dukies list among the people I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I think that's about right. Noticing a trend there. Not saying anything, I'm just, you know, sayin'.
    I'd put Patrick Ewing before any non-Laettner player in the frontcourt.

I find that, all these years later, the hatred for Wojo still runs really, really deep for a lot of people between 35 and 45 years old. Always comes back to the floor slapping. Even know a few Marquette fans who had a hard time until he gave his first press conference in Milwaukee. I actually think he's no. 2 on the hated Dukies list among the people I know.
    Hurley did it first.

I find that, all these years later, the hatred for Wojo still runs really, really deep for a lot of people between 35 and 45 years old. Always comes back to the floor slapping.
    I'll bet that a significant percentage of those middle-aged folks (!!!!) wish they could actually bend over and slap any floor.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    [re floor slapping]
    Hurley did it first.
    Uh, no... Early '80s.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    1) Laettner was a great college player? True 2) Laettner loves Duke? True. 3) Laettner epitomized Duke? True. 4) Duke fans love Laettner? True. 5) Other college fan bases, which is at least 50x bigger than Duke fan bases, have Laettner? True.

Laettner is hated for so many reasons: he was cocky, he played with a program that just wins (what do the Cowboys, Yankees, and Notre Dame have in common?), he played better in the spotlight, he was clutch, he took down a potential dynasty in UNLV (with help), he took down a wannabe dynasty (Fab Five), he is shown at least 32 times a year with "The Shot" in the month of March, and he's white.
    False... They don't have Laettner but whether they admit or not, they wish they did. ;-)

Hurley
    Paulus
    JJ
    Laettner
    Meagher

That's a team that would rival the Detroit Pistons on the '80's for most hated. And good.

Spotted during the UK KU game:

20141118_222215.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    Spotted during the UK KU game:

20141118_222215.jpg
    Funny thing was, Hurley was wearing it.

Someone mentioned Gerald Henderson, but I think that's really just a Chapel Hill thing because of The Foul. Outside of UNC, I don't think Henderson is as universally and irrationally reviled as the others.
    I can't believe you left off Shane Battier. As a Triangle resident (and non Duke fan) since 1986, I'd put Battier above Collins and Hurley in the pantheon of disdain. Honorable mention to Dahntay Jones. Agree, though, about Henderson.

A few other random thoughts

1) I wonder if the quote actually came from one of Laettner's teammates (Cherokee Parks??). The difference to me between Laettner and every other "hated" Dukie is that Laettner actually inspired bad feelings from some of his own teammates, if legend is to be believed.

2) Danny Ferry doesn't get enough credit as a player. I feel like Laettner's exploits from 1990 to 1992 (UConn buzzer beater in '90, the '91 and '92 seasons) made people forget Ferry's greatness. Laettner had the better career, but if you looked at the 1988 and 1989 Duke rosters vs 1991 and 1992 you'd notice that Laettner had significantly better talent around him.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Hurley
    Paulus
    JJ
    Laettner
    Meagher

That's a team that would rival the Detroit Pistons on the '80's for most hated. And good.

Although I hate this kind of thing, I just had to chime in.

I think you both got it wrong, but are both close. Collins doesn't make the team. He really had a fair career with strong bookends, if you will (freshman and senior years), but never withstood the heighth or longevity of Wojo hatred. Likewise, Meager hatred can not stand next to that of the true fifth starter. Paulus makes the squad, despite a mediocre career, due to his association with JJ and for sheer minutes played. He also gets some flack for being over-hyped, which makes no sense. Would opposing fans have "hated" him less if he had played better against them? Again, I really hate this kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by chris13 View Post
    I can't believe you left off Shane Battier. As a Triangle resident (and non Duke fan) since 1986, I'd put Battier above Collins and Hurley in the pantheon of disdain. Honorable mention to Dahntay Jones. Agree, though, about Henderson.
    To me, clearly, the team is Laettner, JJ, Paulus, Wojo, and Battier.

Yes, Battier is the fifth member of the "most hated" team.. Despite being one of the greatest defnsive players of all time, he is only remembered for one subset of his defensive prowess... drawing the charge, which for some reason makes people throw their arms up in frustrated disgust, like the defensive player has somehow exploited a loophole in the rulebook by drawing a charge.

I have always wanted to attend a UK vs Uncch game with a 32 Duke jersey on and pull for UK.

One of the great things about enduring Laettner hate is how easy it is to get the haters fired up, and the random places where you see it happening.

I don't tweet, but I follow some political commentators that I enjoy on twitter. One is Mary Katherine Ham, a conservative with a pretty good sense of humor. I saw a few tweets from her provoking the Laettner haters this morning in reference to the upcoming 30 for 30 special. (A quick wikipedia check shows, while she went to UGa, she grew up in Durham and went to Riverside High). As a Duke fan, I try to have the same fun with it. Laettner, in college, was an awesome player, and he enjoyed playing the villain. At this point, he seems to still embrace the villain role. Since time is clearly not going to help the Laettner haters become more rational, might as well have fun with their irrationality. When KY fans accuse him of "physically assaulting" Aminu Timberlake, about all you can do is laugh. Because in their minds, the decades haven't healed Timberlake's wounds from that foot-tap. 22 years later, in KY world, the poor guy was killed dead on the spot as Laettner put the sole of his foot straight through Aminu's beating heart (which Coach K then ate before it had a chance to stop beating).

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I think we know that Laettner is hated. But the expect to which he is hated is debatable. Do diehard college bball fans hate him, or do they hate that Laettner beat their team but respect his game? Do casual college bball fans hate him, or do they just hate Duke? There are many ways to skin a cat, and I hope that ESPN does a wonderful job of getting into the difficult causes of 'hate' rather than having a montage of players and coaches saying, "I hate Christian Laettner".
    I very nearly came to blows with a UK fan over his Laettner hate and my Laettner love. In retrospect it's hard to believe that this happened, but it did... at my friend's wedding... I was the best man.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    This could be interesting...

@richarddeitsch: ESPN's @30for30 just announced there will be an upcoming doc titled "I Hate Christian Laettner." Will premiere next March.
    I'm waiting for the new "30 for 30: The Carolina Way."

And waiting...

And waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    I'm waiting for the new "30 for 30: The Carolina Way."

And waiting...

And waiting...
    I think that was called "The Lair's Club"

Not sure what is so offensive about slapping a floor. I never really understood why opposing fans would even care one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by royalblue View Post
    I have always wanted to attend a UK vs Uncch game with a 32 Duke jersey on and pull for UK.
    Now THIS is truly a bucket list worthy wish.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think that was called "The Lair's Club"
    or maybe "Class-less"