Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

30 for 30: "I Hate Christian Laettner"

This could be interesting...

@richarddeitsch: ESPN's @30for30 just announced there will be an upcoming doc titled "I Hate Christian Laettner." Will premiere next March.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    "He’s the only player to start in four consecutive Final Fours...". No, he wasn't. [Edit: Actually he was; see below] Quoting the press release, not luburch.
    Last edited by hurleyfor3; 11-18-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Great title, ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    "He’s the only player to start in four consecutive Final Fours...". No, he wasn't. Quoting the press release, not luburch.
    Out of curiosity, who else has?

No one. Greg Koubek was the first person to play in four Final Fours, an achievement shared by Laettner. The starting five in 1989 was Abdelnaby/Ferry/Brickey/Snyder/Henderson.

I think the only player who could have started in four FFs -- that is, he started his first three years and his team was in the NCAAs for his senior year -- was Bobby Hurley.
    No, Laettner started against Seton Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    No, Laettner started against Seton Hall.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_5YcJfWkpg

Starters were Brickey/Ferry/Laettner/Henderson/Snyder. Somehow I remember people drawing the distinction between Hurley in 1993 and Laettner, but there's Christian taking the opening tap. I blame Billy Packer.
    Last edited by hurleyfor3; 11-18-2014 at 01:46 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_5YcJfWkpg

Starters were Brickey/Ferry/Laettner/Henderson/Snyder. Somehow I remember people drawing the distinction between Hurley in 1993 and Laettner, but there's Christian taking the opening tap. I blame Billy Packer.
    Yep, Laettner was starting for the Seton Hall game. By the time of the Georgetown game in the regional finals, Laettner had earned the starter's nod.

Hurley and G Hill were four year starters, but the 1993 2nd round exit prevented them from being four year Final Four starters. Koubek played in four Final Fours, but was not a starter in all of them. The UCLA guys, of course, did not play during their Freshman years, otherwise guys like Abdul Jabbar would probably have accomplished this achievement.

Goes to show how special the 1986-1994 run was for Duke...going to 7 FFs in 9 years is just impossible to do in the modern game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Great title, ESPN.
    The man's twitter description today is

"The Shot
    to Kentucky's Heart"

and the description of the documentary itself says it has "extensive access to Laettner." I'm fairly confident he was smiling when he was told the title.

I absolutely love the title

1) Laettner was a great college player? True 2) Laettner loves Duke? True. 3) Laettner epitomized Duke? True. 4) Duke fans love Laettner? True. 5) Other college fan bases, which is at least 50x bigger than Duke fan bases, hate Laettner? True.

Laettner is hated for so many reasons: he was cocky, he played with a program that just wins (what do the Cowboys, Yankees, and Notre Dame have in common?), he played better in the spotlight, he was clutch, he took down a potential dynasty in UNLV (with help), he took down a wannabe dynasty (Fab Five), he is shown at least 32 times a year with "The Shot" in the month of March, and he's white.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 11-19-2014 at 09:03 AM.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    he is shown at least 32 times a year...
    Coincidence or intentional? I like it either way.

No doubt, Laettner loves it. No doubt it plays into Laettner's ongoing and hilarious and earned trolling of Kentucky and others.

But this isn't exactly new territory.

Tell us something new about Laettner; that he's hated is old hat. That he's more than just a proud icon is, too.

Of course, I'm still going to watch every second of the episode. So "Shut up, Corey" seems appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    No doubt, Laettner loves it. No doubt it plays into Laettner's ongoing and hilarious and earned trolling of Kentucky and others.

But this isn't exactly new territory.

Tell us something new about Laettner; that he's hated is old hat. That he's more than just a proud icon is, too.

Of course, I'm still going to watch every second of the episode. So "Shut up, Corey" seems appropriate.
    I think we know that Laettner is hated. But the expect to which he is hated is debatable. Do diehard college bball fans hate him, or do they hate that Laettner beat their team but respect his game? Do casual college bball fans hate him, or do they just hate Duke? There are many ways to skin a cat, and I hope that ESPN does a wonderful job of getting into the difficult causes of 'hate' rather than having a montage of players and coaches saying, "I hate Christian Laettner".
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Coincidence or intentional? I like it either way.
    Fun fact: Laettner scored his uniform number the night it was retired. He had a free throw to make it Grant Hill, but missed. Source: was there.

(In case this confuses people, this was the home game *before* unc in 1992.)

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I think we know that Laettner is hated. But the expect to which he is hated is debatable. Do diehard college bball fans hate him, or do they hate that Laettner beat their team but respect his game? Do casual college bball fans hate him, or do they just hate Duke? There are many ways to skin a cat, and I hope that ESPN does a wonderful job of getting into the difficult causes of 'hate' rather than having a montage of players and coaches saying, "I hate Christian Laettner".
    Fair enough.

Fun fact: Laettner scored his uniform number the night it was retired. He had a free throw to make it Grant Hill, but missed. Source: was there.

(In case this confuses people, this was the home game *before* unc in 1992.)

February 26, 1992. We beat Virginia 76-67. That was also the night that:

(1) Bobby Hurley returned to the Duke lineup after missing three weeks with a stress fracture in his foot, and

(2) Bryant Stith broke Jeff Lamp's UVa career scoring record (a record that Stith still holds). Coach K presented the game ball to Stith after the game ended.

Love it already and cannot wait to see it. Enjoyed the bit about Christian being the starting five of all-time hated.

Just hope JJ doesn't get bummed out by being excluded...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Love it already and cannot wait to see it. Enjoyed the bit about Christian being the starting five of all-time hated.

Just hope JJ doesn't get bummed out by being excluded...
    JJ has nothing to worry about. The starting five is Laettner, Laettner again, Laettner a third time, JJ and Hurley.

Actually I'll take that backcourt for basketball in general.

Maybe G. Henderson off the bench? But prob only in north carolina?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

What if I told you that a multi-media conglomerate found a way to make money off of the irrational hatred of millions of people for a man they never met?