Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

College FB coaching carousel (2014-15 edition)

Florida will be open, as we know.

If UVa loses to a demoralized Miami and for the 11th consecutive year to VT, then Mike London will be gone, per David Teel:

http://touch.dailypress.com/#section.../p2p-82002462/

Can't imagine Brady Hoke being back at Michigan. Alums want Jim Harbaugh but I do not see that happening. Seems like Les Miles might be ready this time around.

As as for the Gators, Dan Mullen seems attractive, but thought I read there's bad blood between him and the AD.

For those more attuned to FB recruiting than I am, does Duke stand to benefit at all from coaching changes elsewhere? We are clearly on a hot streak with recruits, especially Class of 2016 (see separate thread), and we definitely compete with UVA - and probably Florida - for talent.

Quote Originally Posted by IsInTheDetails View Post
    For those more attuned to FB recruiting than I am, does Duke stand to benefit at all from coaching changes elsewhere? We are clearly on a hot streak with recruits, especially Class of 2016 (see separate thread), and we definitely compete with UVA - and probably Florida - for talent.
    Who's to say just yet? A change of coaches brought Sean Renfree and Jeremy Cash to Duke.

I seem to recall reading that Duke is going after a couple of highly-rated kids who'd previously committed to other programs - fairly common in football - but whose Head Coaches had come to stand on fairly shaky fround.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Florida will be open, as we know.
    Florida is looking for an offensive-minded coach. Kurt Roper was hired from Duke to give the Gators a high-tempo spread offense, but instead they were 89th in total offense in Div 1A. I wish him well, but it looks like he only gets one year to work a transformation. To cushion the likely firing, I understand he got guaranteed money for more than one year.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Can't imagine Brady Hoke being back at Michigan. Alums want Jim Harbaugh but I do not see that happening. Seems like Les Miles might be ready this time around.

As as for the Gators, Dan Mullen seems attractive, but thought I read there's bad blood between him and the AD.
    The ESPN "insider" on SportsCenter reported that while Florida is looking for someone with a track record and offensive minded, the search was wide open. In the next breath he said Mullen and Rich Rodriquez (2 hot names) would NOT be considered. When asked why, he reported that they didn't meet Florida's "standards." I would love to know the rest of that story.

Right now, with 6 games remaining, Harbaugh's 49rs are 3 games back in their division and 1 game out of a playoff spot. Nobody in the organization would be saddened by the departure of Harbaugh and his ego.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Right now, with 6 games remaining, Harbaugh's 49rs are 3 games back in their division and 1 game out of a playoff spot. Nobody in the organization would be saddened by the departure of Harbaugh and his ego.
    Maybe so. But still he wouldn't go to Michigan. NFL teams would be throwing garlands at his feet. Atlanta and Carolina, if they don't make the playoffs, plus both New York teams I'm sure would go after him strongly. That could be interesting . . .

Football coaching carousel

The SF Chron is reporting that Clemson assistant Chad Morris has been in talks with SMU. No deal as yet and SMU's search seems to be continuing, though Morris has not been ruled out.

At the risk of rumor mongering, I have seen Coach Cut's name tossed about in conjunction with the pending opening in Ann Arbor. Does anyone have a sense as to Coach's interest in moving up the food chain?

My hope would be, that having worked with top tier programs in the past, he relishes the project at hand and has found the progress thus far to be rewarding. But I am certainly not "in the know."

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    At the risk of rumor mongering, I have seen Coach Cut's name tossed about in conjunction with the pending opening in Ann Arbor. Does anyone have a sense as to Coach's interest in moving up the food chain?

My hope would be, that having worked with top tier programs in the past, he relishes the project at hand and has found the progress thus far to be rewarding. But I am certainly not "in the know."
    I don't know Cut, but since we dodged the Vol bullet a few years ago I think he's a Duke man. And at 59 or 60 IIRC, most programs are probably looking for someone younger.

Plus, his main recruiting ties are in the Southeast -- He is a lifelong SEC (and now ACC) guy.

I would have been more worried about Florida, frankly, but I have not seen his name on any floated list there.

I think David has found a home in Durham, and Duke has found a perfect representative in David and his program. Some things are meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I don't know Cut, but since we dodged the Vol bullet a few years ago I think he's a Duke man. And at 59 or 60 IIRC, most programs are probably looking for someone younger.

Plus, his main recruiting ties are in the Southeast -- He is a lifelong SEC (and now ACC) guy.

I would have been more worried about Florida, frankly, but I have not seen his name on any floated list there.

I think David has found a home in Durham, and Duke has found a perfect representative in David and his program. Some things are meant to be.
    I certainly hope you are right, and I agree with your instincts in regards to age. I just couldn't help wonder - especially after noticing the VERY sparse home crowd last night.

Really wish we would get out and support our boys, even if it is chilly. We have a small stadium, and that makes it look even worse when it is 2/3rds empty.

Here's to the seniors and to Coach Cut! Let's finish with 10 wins and a good bowl victory!

Cut is 60 (DOB is Sept. 14, 1964). He also had a coronary bypass in 2005 and took a year off.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    I certainly hope you are right, and I agree with your instincts in regards to age. I just couldn't help wonder - especially after noticing the VERY sparse home crowd last night.

Really wish we would get out and support our boys, even if it is chilly. We have a small stadium, and that makes it look even worse when it is 2/3rds empty.

Here's to the seniors and to Coach Cut! Let's finish with 10 wins and a good bowl victory!
    The cameras don't pan the stadium. They're aimed at areas which tend to be empty (east side in front of the President's Box, GA area for group sales and visitors' sections) when other areas are full. Perhaps the renovations would allow the cameras to be relocated with a more satisfying view.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    The cameras don't pan the stadium. They're aimed at areas which tend to be empty (east side in front of the President's Box, GA area for group sales and visitors' sections) when other areas are full. Perhaps the renovations would allow the cameras to be relocated with a more satisfying view.
    There are plenty of wide-angle shots of the stadium from the closed end. The empty seats are not a trompe l'oeil easily dismissed with references to camera angles.

I agree that attendance is a big problem but the stadium was actually 2/3 full last night...a good time was had by all who were there and the chance to interact with the team on the field afterwards was a special treat.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Cut is 60 (DOB is Sept. 14, 1964). He also had a coronary bypass in 2005 and took a year off.
    And his youngest kid is either in late middle school or early high school -- not the time a young gal wants to uproot and start over.

A couple days ago they had an "insider expert" on ESPN sports radio and asked him if Cutcliffe's name was being tossed around as a possibility for these major job openings. The insider emphatically said No, because he said Cut is not interested in leaving Duke. He said Cut is widely regarded as an outstanding coach, but that he is in a perfect situation "at the right place." He said that given his age, he is happy to finish his career at Duke. He said the insiders don't expect him to consider leaving. It sounded encouraging.

Considering Bo Pelini just got fired after seven consecutive 9+ win seasons and a record of 67-27, there is also something to be said for coaching at a school with a bit lower expectations (and still 2M+ salary). I think Cutcliffe and Duke are a great match.

Link to Bo Pelini firing: http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=11958376

I'm sure there's a Baton Rouge sandwich shop that would like to see Les Miles move on so that they can start selling the Po' Belini, which is like a Po' boy but wrapped in a thin pancake.