Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

The "I'm not going to jinx it" thread

Every year we get upset threads and then jinx the underdog. This year, let's try something different.

Any time we see an upset brewing, say Bobby Hurley's Buffalo squad taking on some Wildcats, we talk about field hockey, or beer, or gardening.

Of course, as with the observer effect suggests that simply one's awareness is enough to jinx the whole dang enterprise.
    Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-16-2014 at 01:02 PM. Reason: MIKESJ73 was first to post the upset, so he gets to own any jinx.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    Every year we get upset threads and then jinx the underdog. This year, let's try something different.

Any time we see an upset brewing, say Bobby Hurley's Buffalo squad taking on some Wildcats, we talk about field hockey, or beer, or gardening.

Of course, as with the observer effect suggests that simply one's awareness is enough to jinx the whole dang enterprise.
    I hope Cal has a third platoon of future lottery picks somewhere... to help with his garden, of course.

May I suggest that, if someone is also inclined to say things mid-Duke-game like "we're gonna win this by 30 points," he/she comes here to t-t-talk about the weather (hey hey)? This thread could therefore double as an anti-weauxfgods thread. Because yesterday.

UK gave up a 109 to buffalo in the first half....that's absurdly poor.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    UK gave up a 109 to buffalo in the first half....that's absurdly poor.
    Did you see the thread title?

So, I gotta say, I was in The Valley of the Sun for much of last week and, although the golfing conditions were awesome, the local beer was meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    So, I gotta say, I was in The Valley of the Sun for much of last week and, although the golfing conditions were awesome, the local beer was meh.
    Living in an area without 'local' beers, I'm not so picky. I've got a son-in-law who's starting to homebrew, and he's turned out a couple of good batches. He's playing with mead lately but I haven't had a chance to sample.

for teams in general: even if you have talent, poor shot selection and lack of effort on defense will not get you too far.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    for teams in general: even if you have talent, poor shot selection and lack of effort on defense will not get you too far.
    I think you're still missing the spirit of the thread.

Sorry, I was wrong yesterday. But have you made any mistakes before? If you do not like what I said just ignore my words.

May I suggest that, if someone is also inclined to say things mid-Duke-game like "we're gonna win this by 30 points," he/she comes here to t-t-talk about the weather (hey hey)? This thread could therefore double as an anti-weauxfgods thread. Because yesterday.

Jinxes?

I just put together a little something to curse a certain game.

Ingredients:

2 bottles of white rum
    2/3 liter of dry white wine
    1 cup Triple Sec
    juice of 10 oranges
    juice of 6 lemons
    20-ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained
    1 cup of sugar
    2 vanilla beans, split
    2 nutmegs, ground
    2-ounces of muira puama tincture, preferably in a base of vegetable glycerin and alcohol 1-2 ounces of damiana tincture 2 whole oranges studded with cloves a handful of fresh or dried rose petals

Oh crap, I think that was the love potion. Forgot to adjust the recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by bbosbbos View Post
    Sorry, I was wrong yesterday. But have you made any mistakes before? If you do not like what I said just ignore my words.
    Breathe, please. No one has thrown down any gauntlets that require pistols at dawn.

Now, since the game I was watching is over and thus the purpose of the thread expired with it, I need to figure how to prune a cherry tree. Until 3PM, that is, when I hope to be back, talking about gardening, or beer, or the quality of golf in the Valley of the Sun.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    Jinxes?

I just put together a little something to curse a certain game.

Ingredients:

2 bottles of white rum
    2/3 liter of dry white wine
    1 cup Triple Sec
    juice of 10 oranges
    juice of 6 lemons
    20-ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained
    1 cup of sugar
    2 vanilla beans, split
    2 nutmegs, ground
    2-ounces of muira puama tincture, preferably in a base of vegetable glycerin and alcohol 1-2 ounces of damiana tincture 2 whole oranges studded with cloves a handful of fresh or dried rose petals

Oh crap, I think that was the love potion. Forgot to adjust the recipe.
    I'm hoping you have friends to share that with . . .

You should have stopped by Four Peaks Brewery on 8th St. in Tempe! Fantastic food to go with some pretty good brews! One of my favorite places while I was going to school out there!

Living in an area without 'local' beers, I'm not so picky. I've got a son-in-law who's starting to homebrew, and he's turned out a couple of good batches. He's playing with mead lately but I haven't had a chance to sample.
    Wrong thread. These belong here:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...?3840-Ymm-Beer

Gratuitous solicitation for more readers and posters
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Breathe, please. No one has thrown down any gauntlets that require pistols at dawn.

Now, since the game I was watching is over and thus the purpose of the thread expired with it, I need to figure how to prune a cherry tree. Until 3PM, that is, when I hope to be back, talking about gardening, or beer, or the quality of golf in the Valley of the Sun.
    Why no Pistols at Dawn? I'd be happy to share one of these with you or almost anyone:

http://www.loneriderbeer.com/beers/most-wanted/

Pistols At Dawn

High noon will have to take a backseat as the fresh morning air is perfect for a duel. We present our stout brewed with roasted malts, oats, lactose, and locally produced chocolate and coffee. A rich, dark velvety beer with a fine oatmeal flavor. 7.5% ABV.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Why no Pistols at Dawn? I'd be happy to share one of these with you or almost anyone:

http://www.loneriderbeer.com/beers/most-wanted/

Pistols At Dawn

High noon will have to take a backseat as the fresh morning air is perfect for a duel. We present our stout brewed with roasted malts, oats, lactose, and locally produced chocolate and coffee. A rich, dark velvety beer with a fine oatmeal flavor. 7.5% ABV.
    Okay, I take it back. Pistols at Dawn sounds like a fine idea. It would sound even better if I lived within 2000 miles of Raleigh.

Okay, I take it back. Pistols at Dawn sounds like a fine idea. It would sound even better if I lived within 2000 miles of Raleigh.
    I'll see if I can find one to sip in your honor this winter. I had one last year. Very nice, smooth beer.

Actually, you never know, I might be Ol' Roy The Nazarene.

Sometimes you just gotta laugh and face-palm. That post turned out to be an EPIC jinx.

Just so you know I'm not picking on you, in fall 1992, following Duke's second back to back championship, I told a UNC undergrad that Duke was SURE to be a final four team because we returned Hurley, Hill, Hill, Parks, etc, while UNC was going to suck because they started some guy named Henrik Rodl. Eight months later, Duke had been bounced in the first weekend by Jason Kidd and Dean and the boys were raising the NCAAT championship trophy.

We've all had that moment.