Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    While I agree that Piazza is getting a raw deal, he's getting there (he's only been on 2 ballots, so "keeps missing" is a stretch). This year may be a reach, but he'll go up in the voting and get in there next year (personally I think he has a good shot this year, but that may be optimistic). I agree completely about Raines. I think he was a wonderful player, who not only belongs in, but deserves to have been a more convincing election (if he's ever even elected).
    Piazza is also considered a doper in some circles, which is why I think he keeps missing.

Yanks have new "Jeter"

Looks like the Yankees swung a move for a new shortstop.

Yanks acquire SS Didi Gregorius

Guess that takes Stephen Drew out of the running. We don't really have a need for him back in Boston.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    Guess that takes Stephen Drew out of the running. We don't really have a need for him back in Boston.
    With the numbers he put up last year, most minor league teams don't have a need for him.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    Looks like the Yankees swung a move for a new shortstop.

Yanks acquire SS Didi Gregorius

Considering the market, this was a good deal. There wasn't a decent free agent SS out there (after Hanley Rameriz signed to play LF for the Red Sox) and trading for a Troy Tulowiski or the like would have gutted the farm system.

This kid is 24 years old and a grade A defensive shortstop. He's not much of a hitter, but you can live with a weak hitter at SS if he does the job defensively.

Now, the Yankees need to resign Brendan McCarthy, David Robertson and Chase Headley. Do that and I'll rate the offseason a success.

Let Kuroda and Ichiro walk ...

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Now, the Yankees need to resign ... David Robertson.
    They just signed Andrew Miller for 4 years, $36MM, so Robertson seems unlikely now (though some reports say they're still interested in bringing him back as well).

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...rs-36-million/

They just signed Andrew Miller for 4 years, $36MM, so Robertson seems unlikely now (though some reports say they're still interested in bringing him back as well).

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...rs-36-million/
    They say Robertson's asking price is too high. They're saying the same thing about Headley and McCarthy.

Give me a break ... these are the Yankees. They're going to go cheap?

Considering the market, this was a good deal. There wasn't a decent free agent SS out there (after Hanley Rameriz signed to play LF for the Red Sox) and trading for a Troy Tulowiski or the like would have gutted the farm system.

This kid is 24 years old and a grade A defensive shortstop. He's not much of a hitter, but you can live with a weak hitter at SS if he does the job defensively.

Now, the Yankees need to resign Brendan McCarthy, David Robertson and Chase Headley. Do that and I'll rate the offseason a success.

Let Kuroda and Ichiro walk ...
    OF, as a fellow Yankee fan, I'm curious as to why you say let Kuroda and Ichiro walk. They are both old, but they still have something left in the tank. (I don't know their asking prices.) I understand that Kuroda has faded in the second half for two seasons now, but he has overall been pretty doggone good. And I like watching Ichiro play, even the septuagenarian version.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    OF, as a fellow Yankee fan, I'm curious as to why you say let Kuroda and Ichiro walk. They are both old, but they still have something left in the tank. (I don't know their asking prices.) I understand that Kuroda has faded in the second half for two seasons now, but he has overall been pretty doggone good. And I like watching Ichiro play, even the septuagenarian version.
    Ichiro was a pretty bad hitter 3 years ago before he came to NY, had a brief resurgence here, and has been a bad hitter the past 2 seasons. While he's remained a pretty good threat on the basepaths, his inability to get on base limits that value, and as ageless as his legs have been, at 41 it seems unrealistic to expect that to continue. I don't think he warrants 200 - 300 plate appearances anymore, and I don't think he'd come back for a deep bench / pinch runner spot - either for the role or for the money it would make sense to pay for that role. (And while it's obviously up to him if he wants to keep playing, something doesn't seem right to me about having a player of Ichiro's caliber wind up a great career as a deep reserve on a team that probably isn't even going to be that good).

I wouldn't mind seeing Kuroda back, but with all the injury problems the rotation has had, a 40 year old might not be the best choice (though he has been terrifically durable).

I wouldn't mind seeing Kuroda back, but with all the injury problems the rotation has had, a 40 year old might not be the best choice (though he has been terrifically durable).
    On the other hand, with the health issues of CC, Tanaka and Pineda, and the uncertainty of McCarthy coming back, he may be a viable stabilizing force for the rotation. Someone has to give them 5 innings to get to the stronger bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    On the other hand, with the health issues of CC, Tanaka and Pineda, and the uncertainty of McCarthy coming back, he may be a viable stabilizing force for the rotation. Someone has to give them 5 innings to get to the stronger bullpen.
    I have zero interest in seeing Ichiro ever again in a Yankees uniform.

I'd like to see him re-sign with Seattle and have a one-year victory tour as a fourth outfielder. He's earned that.

Kuroda? Not clear if he's going to pitch for anybody and there are suggestions that it he does, it will be either on the west coast or back in Japan.

Robertson and Headley? The supposed holdup is their desire for a fourth year. The Yanks want three. But they were saying the same thing about Miller a couple of days ago. A Miller, Betances, Robertson bullpen would protect a lot of seventh-inning leads. But how many seventh-inning leads will they have?

So now I'm wondering why the Tigs would trade Price? Besides the one year left thing, etc. A solid, workhorse lefty, good locker room guy.
    Yes, see ya Porcello, sure.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

The HOF's Golden Age Committee voted today and failed to elect any veteran into the Hall:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...-short-of-hall

Dick Allen and Tony Oliva both missed by one vote ... Jim Kaat by two votes.

Oliva was a personal favorite. The legitimate knock on him was that he was only a great player for eight years before injuries robbed him of his skill. But I think his numbers are underrated because he peaked at a time when pitchers dominated the game in the 1960s. His career average was a good-but-not-great .304, but he finished in the top three of the American League batting race for seven straight years.

Dick Allen was an even more dominant hitter, but he was a prick and I think that hurts him.

The White Sox scored big Tuesday, trading a four Grade B minor league prospects to the A's for Jeff Samardzija and signing free agent reliever David Robertson from the Yankees (as a Yankee fan, I hate that).

The next domino to fall looks to be Jon Lester, who is said to be deciding tonight between the Red Sox and Cubs.

The White Sox scored big Tuesday, trading a four Grade B minor league prospects to the A's for Jeff Samardzija and signing free agent reliever David Robertson from the Yankees (as a Yankee fan, I hate that).

The next domino to fall looks to be Jon Lester, who is said to be deciding tonight between the Red Sox and Cubs.
    It appears he accepted the Cubs 6 year $155 million dollar offer.

He's chosen the Chubs.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientPsychicT View Post

What's curious is that the Cubs had Jeff Samardzija, who makes about 5 million a year and isn't a free agent until 2016.

Samardzija has had a career ERA of 3.85 (3.42 as a full time starter) and ERA+ of 103. His WAR is 6.9. He's 29.

Jon Lester's career ERA is 3.58 with ERA+ of 121. His career WAR is 32.6, albeit, playing on much better teams. He's 30. He's now making 25 million a year.

The Cubs traded Samardzija to the A's and got pitcher Dan Straily, shortstop Addison Russell (#5 prospect), outfielder Billy McKinney (#106).

Straily has been pretty terrible. Russell and McKinney might be good, but who knows. And the Cubs aren't exactly bare at SS. Anytime Billy Beane trades you a prospect, you have to wonder what you did wrong. The real question is, was it worth $20 million a year more for Lester in exchange for Straily, Russell and McKinney when Samardzija wasn't a huge downgrade from Lester?

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    What's curious is that the Cubs had Jeff Samardzija, who makes about 5 million a year and isn't a free agent until 2016.

Samardzija has had a career ERA of 3.85 (3.42 as a full time starter) and ERA+ of 103. His WAR is 6.9. He's 29.

Jon Lester's career ERA is 3.58 with ERA+ of 121. His career WAR is 32.6, albeit, playing on much better teams. He's 30. He's now making 25 million a year.

The Cubs traded Samardzija to the A's and got pitcher Dan Straily, shortstop Addison Russell (#5 prospect), outfielder Billy McKinney (#106).

Straily has been pretty terrible. Russell and McKinney might be good, but who knows. And the Cubs aren't exactly bare at SS. Anytime Billy Beane trades you a prospect, you have to wonder what you did wrong. The real question is, was it worth $20 million a year more for Lester in exchange for Straily, Russell and McKinney when Samardzija wasn't a huge downgrade from Lester?
    It might be worth it, it might not. Then again, these are the Chubs we're talking about. You know something is bound to go awry. I would not be surprised to see Samardzija pitch quite well for Oakland while Lester struggles a bit in Chicago. Because Chubs.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientPsychicT View Post
    It might be worth it, it might not. Then again, these are the Chubs we're talking about. You know something is bound to go awry. I would not be surprised to see Samardzija pitch quite well for Oakland while Lester struggles a bit in Chicago. Because Chubs.
    Well Oakland turned Samardzija over to Chicago White Sox for prospects.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...052004674.html

Oakland got:

shortstop Marcus Semien, catcher Josh Phegley and prospects Rangel Ravelo, a first baseman, and Chris Bassitt, a pitcher
    Semien #91
    Phegley, Ravelo and Bassitt are not in the top 100

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...ospects-are-4/

So Oakland basically rented Samardzija for the playoff run and got out cheap without losing a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post

The deal comes down to Russell -- who is regarded by almost everybody as one of the top prospects in all of baseball. He's probably ready to challenge for a starting job at SS next season.

I know that Lester costs more than Samardzija, but right now he's a better pitcher. At age 30, he still should have 4-5 more years (although with a pitcher, you never know).

In PERFORMANCE terms, the Cubs came out wa-a-a-y ahead in the Samardzija/Lester deals. Financially, I don't know -- but, hey, it's not my money.

The deal comes down to Russell -- who is regarded by almost everybody as one of the top prospects in all of baseball. He's probably ready to challenge for a starting job at SS next season.

I know that Lester costs more than Samardzija, but right now he's a better pitcher. At age 30, he still should have 4-5 more years (although with a pitcher, you never know).

In PERFORMANCE terms, the Cubs came out wa-a-a-y ahead in the Samardzija/Lester deals. Financially, I don't know -- but, hey, it's not my money.
    Well, in my mind, they only reason they got Russell was so they didn't have to keep Starlin Castro, who is already an all-star major league player with a high ceiling, but getting more expensive as the years go by on his contract. They probably don't want to keep Castro likely because of stuff like this:

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/spo...n-shooting-in/