Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

FB: Duke 27 - Syracuse 10

Next play, right?

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Next play, right?
    I'd like to enjoy today's win for 24 hours first.
    Bob Green

Nothing is a given on the road. We need to improve our tackling and stay focused.

And we have a target on our back -- being a ranked team and all.

Go Duke!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I'd like to enjoy today's win for 24 hours first.
    I literally walked into my studio and turned off the tv, didn't care about the other games that were on. I just wanted to soak today's victory in. I'll stop back into this thread sometime tomorrow after the new rankings come out. LGD!!!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Nothing is a given on the road. We need to improve our tackling and stay focused.

And we have a target on our back -- being a ranked team and all.

Go Duke!
    The espn summary article I perused after the game did mention the (cough, cough) lack of tackling by both teams, especially in the 1st half.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

We have games left we should win but certainly could lose.

I love that for 2 years we have been excellent in these situations! Go Duke

If State can win in the Dome, Duke can win in the Dome. TCoB.

Trap game. When was the last time Duke could call a conference opponent a trap game?

I, too, am worried about this game. Interestingly, Boone, in his post-game interview, said that getting hit in "cold" weather is different that getting hit is "warm" weather. Hopefully, the dome will help Duke in that regard...

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    Trap game. When was the last time Duke could call a conference opponent a trap game?
    Last year, Duke vs NC State prior to Duke v Miami, with Duke having just beat VaTech.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Last year, Duke vs NC State prior to Duke v Miami, with Duke having just beat VaTech.
    NC State was at home last year. Syracuse is an away game, we're coming off an emotional high of a win, and the Orange are coming off a disappointing loss to sorry NC State. Classic letdown.

We will need to fix our defense after giving up just under 600 yds and 48 pts. Though Pitt was always going to be a tough offense to contain with a power runner and big-play receivers.

NC State was at home last year. Syracuse is an away game, we're coming off an emotional high of a win, and the Orange are coming off a disappointing loss to sorry NC State. Classic letdown.

We will need to fix our defense after giving up just under 600 yds and 48 pts. Though Pitt was always going to be a tough offense to contain with a power runner and big-play receivers.
    Then if you'd rather, Wake Forest last year, which was on the road, after a big Miami win, right before the crucial UNC game.

We've done trap games before.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Then if you'd rather, Wake Forest last year, which was on the road, after a big Miami win, right before the crucial UNC game.

We've done trap games before.
    ehh Wake Forest is like old Duke, a crap team with a crap record. I don't think Syracuse is anywhere near as bad as they were. We're only favored by 4 at syracuse, think we were favored by 14 at wake last year.

I do wonder about motivation issues as fewer and fewer current players have the past experience of 3-9 yrs and losing to teams like Wake.

Anyone know anything about syracuse football this year?

ehh Wake Forest is like old Duke, a crap team with a crap record.
    We fell behind 14-0 in Winston-Salem last year. I agree with Loran16, we survived a couple of trap games down the stretch last year.
    Bob Green

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    We fell behind 14-0 in Winston-Salem last year. I agree with Loran16, we survived a couple of trap games down the stretch last year.
    Our regular season record was 10-2, but that doesn't tell the story of how many close games we were in heading into fourth quarters. Last year's team was incredibly tough at the ends of games.

ehh Wake Forest is like old Duke, a crap team with a crap record. I don't think Syracuse is anywhere near as bad as they were. We're only favored by 4 at syracuse, think we were favored by 14 at wake last year.

I do wonder about motivation issues as fewer and fewer current players have the past experience of 3-9 yrs and losing to teams like Wake.
    Every game counts, they are all trap games here on out.

The difference is, all these guy know is WINNING!

Anybody going to the Syracuse game next Saturday? We have tickets but no defined plan as of yet.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    Anybody going to the Syracuse game next Saturday? We have tickets but no defined plan as of yet.
    My only two planned events are: Be at the dome by 12:30 on Saturday, and go to Cooperstown Friday after I land in Syracuse. Nothing else matters. 😀

We suck and we don't have a snowball's chance in Onondaga County (there is frozen white precipitation on the ground already in upstate NY, right?) of a victory this Saturday because (in no particular order):

1. We've played a crappy schedule. (79 by Steele and 101 by NCAA)
    2. Our defense is horrendous. (79 by NCAA at 422.5 YPG)
    2a. 13th in points allowed-skyrocketed from #5 last week after our abysmal showing yesterday (see #1 above).
    3. We have no highly ranked defensive players (http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ualified/false) with Helton our highest ranked one in # of tackles.
    4. Our offensive players are even worse (http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ualified/false) with WR Crowder at 45, QB Boone at 69 (besides, he's too short and slow anyway) and Wilson at 97.
    4a. 86th in passing yards.
    4b. 34th in rushing yards.
    4c. 28th in scoring (see #1 above).
    5. Special teams are almost as much of a disaster (http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ualified/false) with Martin at 32 and 45 respectively for PK and scoring, Edwards at 58 and Monday at 74.
    6. We don't run enough on 1st down.
    6a. Too many (bubble) screens if/when we throw.
    7. Our DB are too short/slow/play soft coverage.
    8. QB and WR are too short (see above) and/or have bad hands.
    9. Our DL is awful.
    10. Our OL is over-rated.
    11. We can't tackle.
    12. We don't get enough 3* and/or 4* recruits.
    13. We get all the calls (ie. Crowder shoulda been flagged for offensive PI on many/?all his catches yesterday; we hold all the time...).
    14. Kut's a rat-face/dyes his hair/cusses too much/faked his bypass surgery in 2005. (Wait, wrong Duke sport).
    15. We've never played FB in a dome before (or have we?).
    16. (fill in your own reason/s here)

(removes tongue from cheek and adds and for good measure)

I gotta admit folks, I'm as guilty as many other fans are with some of the above complaints and rather embarrassed to admit it sometimes. However, after I take a couple (dozen) deep breaths, a couple sips from Ymm, Beer thread suggestions and tastings and when I look at the last 2.5+ seasons, I am truly amazed and thankful at what the FB program has accomplished. I'm still in disbelief at 2 consecutive bowl games, going on 3. I'm so astonished over our magical season last year and another one evolving this year that I have many, many ecchymoses in covered cutaneous areas from the repeated pinchings I administer, that my wife is beginning to wonder if have a significant problem.

I said I'd be a few decibels louder if we beat Pitt so there it is. I'll be a few more decibels louder if we take out the 'Cuse on Saturday and VT the following weekend. I'll be my loudest against the cheaters and will try to re-arrange my call schedule so I can see us beat (I hope) my other alma mater to end the regular season. So, enjoy the ride with me, including all the bumps, hits, turns, drops and heights the remaining regularly scheduled games have waiting for us.

devil9f.gif

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    My only two planned events are: Be at the dome by 12:30 on Saturday, and go to Cooperstown Friday after I land in Syracuse. Nothing else matters. 😀
    I'll add a suggestion: if you like fermented and malted beverages, visit the Ommegang brewery on Friday, about 5 miles south of Cooperstown, before or after your BBHoF tour.