Moving to Virginia Beach: Advice Needed

Hello DBR Community,

I'll soon be relocating from New England to Virginia Beach and was hoping to get any insight or feedback from locals about the area. Specifically, best neighborhoods or communities, or any great apartment or condo buildings to live. I'm probably moving down in about a month, early April, but will go home hunting in a few weeks.

I'm originally from Fairfax County, Virginia, and while I know Northern Virginia and the Hampton Roads area aren't the same, I'm super excited to be moving back to The Commonwealth and closer to my original home. Also, that much closer to Durham.

Would really appreciate any insight from current or former residents of the Virginia Beach area.

Thanks, Brian

I used to live in VB, but left in 2006. I had an apartment that was right on the edge of Chesapeake. What kind of info are you looking for? Will you be renting (apt or house) or buying something? Do you want to be near the water?

A lot has changed since I left but I'd be happy to answer whatever I can.

Surf Rider for food, especially seafood/crabcakes. On Newtown Rd. 1st exit on 264 towards beac from Norfolk. Gordon Biersch for beer on Va Beach Blvd, Smokey Bones across the street. Just a starter.

Is that related to the old, departed Surf Rider that used to be on VA Bch Blvd?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Not sure, I know it's been on Newtown Rd. for a long time in a small strip mall between Va Beach Blvd and 264.