Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A fund raiser to help Shaquille Powell's family

Some of you may have already heard about the bout with cancer which Shaquille Powell's little brother is facing. A fund raiser has been set up to help pay the medical expenses... the compliance office has given checked it out. The fund raiser is in compliance with NCAA rules. Here's a link with more information about Malachi's condition and how to help the family.
    http://www.gofundme.com/f73zjc

Thank you to all who take the time to read the blog about Malachi's progress. He and his family are very brave and determined.

As you read about what's happened, you may begin to think about how Shaquille has been quietly coping with this in the background while he goes about the strenuous demands of being a Division I student athlete.

Donations are coming in, but anyone who's gone through cancer treatment knows that this first total set as a goal is only the beginning.

Any contribution is appreciated... and complies with NCAA rules... your donation will not trigger any investigations!

Coverage of how the team is supporting Shaquille and his family while his 7 yo brother undergoes cancer treatment.
    http://balldurham.com/2014/10/01/duk...quille-powell/

Hey all you kooks, let's help our man Shaqille and his family!
    Make me proud!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I'm in. Ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    I'm in. Ricks
    Thank you!

Done.

Good luck, Malachi.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Done.

Good luck, Malachi.

- Chillin
    Thank you so much!

Donation made; it looks like Malachi is getting near the initial $20,000. Hope his treatment goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Donation made; it looks like Malachi is getting near the initial $20,000. Hope his treatment goes well.
    Thank you so much!

For anyone interested, I received an email this morning that they met the $20,000 goal.

Great stuff.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    For anyone interested, I received an email this morning that they met the $20,000 goal.

Great stuff.

- Chillin
    Yes, that will cover the first round of bills.

What a darling little boy! Go Malachi, GO!!!!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Thank you to all who have donated to this fund for Malachi's treatment. Please keep the prayers going. Cancer is tough anytime. It's especially tough when a young child is the one who is suffering.

What a cute, brave little guy. I come on this board, and others, to read about recruits, and trivial sports related anecdotes. Then, I read a story like Malachi's, and everything seems so insignificant when compared to what this young man and his family are faced with. And he's just one of many.

Donation made.

Prayers for you everyday little man, hang in there.
    Last edited by left_hook_lacey; 10-06-2014 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    What a cute, brave little guy. I come on this board, and others, to read about recruits, and trivial sports related anecdotes. Then, I read a story like Malachi's, and everything seems so insignificant when compared to what this young man and his family are faced with. And he's just one of many.

Donation made.

Prayers for you everyday little man, hang in there.
    Thank you for helping!

Bump!

Come on my peeps, let's keep this thread up there. Malachi had a day long transfusion today and it would be nice to send the family some good wishes and donations!

Malachi developed some problems during the night last night and went to the ER. He's been admitted to the hospital for additional tests and treatment. The most recent developments (you can read the update on the fund raiser page) are not what was anticipated with a Wilms tumor. His mother (Shaquille's mom) will be out of work on an unpaid leave of absence while the family fights Malachi's cancer. Bottom line is that their need for financial assistance has escalated.

Here's a link to read the update and if you are so moved, to donate to help Shaquille's family deal with the crisis.

The family had planned to fly to Durham tomorrow to spend some time with Shaq and attend the game on Saturday. That trip has been postponed.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Malachi developed some problems during the night last night and went to the ER. He's been admitted to the hospital for additional tests and treatment. The most recent developments (you can read the update on the fund raiser page) are not what was anticipated with a Wilms tumor. His mother (Shaquille's mom) will be out of work on an unpaid leave of absence while the family fights Malachi's cancer. Bottom line is that their need for financial assistance has escalated.

Here's a link to read the update and if you are so moved, to donate to help Shaquille's family deal with the crisis.

The family had planned to fly to Durham tomorrow to spend some time with Shaq and attend the game on Saturday. That trip has been postponed.
    I am sorry to hear about Malachi's setback. THank you, DiTBD, for highlighting this need in the Duke family. I was pleased to be able donate. Here is some background from the Mayo Clinic:

Wilms' tumor is a rare kidney cancer that primarily affects children. Also known as nephroblastoma, Wilms' tumor is the most common cancer of the kidneys in children. Wilms' tumor most often affects children ages 3 to 4 and becomes much less common after age 5.

Wilms' tumor most often occurs in just one kidney, though it can sometimes be found in both kidneys at the same time.

Improvements in the diagnosis and treatment of Wilms' tumor have improved the prognosis for children with this disease. The outlook for most children with Wilms' tumor is very good.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013