Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fantasy Football

So, this is the insane randomness that is Fantasy Football...

I am in 2 leagues. In one, I scored 112 points this week, a very high total considering lots of players were on bye this week and considering we play 4 point passing TDs and do not do point-per-catch. Typically, 85 or 90 points puts you in very good contention to win. 100 is about a sure thing. It appears that only 4 people in the 10-team league will score more than 90 points this week. My point total would have been best in the league in 2 of the 3 previous weeks. This week, I was second best in points...

...of course, you know the punch line here. I lost. Every single player on my opponent's roster scored a TD. He played Andrew Luck at QB, who put up a 29 point week. My opponent topped 120 points. Sigh.

I mentioned that I play in 2 leagues. Well, in the other league I had a terrible week. My team is currently on 72 points, 2nd lowest in the entire 10-team league this week. By a margin of well over 10 points, it is easily my worst week of the season...

...Of course, you know the punch line here too. I am going to win. My opponent was crushed by the Eagles (Foles got him just 3 points, McCoy put up a horrible 1.7). He is currently has 45 points and is projected to end up with something in the low-50s.

How insane is it to have the 2nd best week and lose while simultaneously having the 2nd worst week and win?

-Jason "Fantasy Football, thou art impossible to predict" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

12 team league, 9th in points, now 4-0.

It is about the match ups(luck).

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    12 team league, 9th in points, now 4-0.

It is about the match ups(luck).
    In the league where I lost despite putting up a big week, I am 2-2 but am in 3rd place (out of 10) because I have scored 60 more points than anyone else in the league. It is crazy! I'm not worried though because over the course of the season, it will all work itself out. I'd rather be scoring a lot and losing some games than scoring a little and lucking my way into a couple extra wins.

-Jason "I'm actually less into FF this year than in the past... I think I am getting old " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

One guy in my 14 team league had the most total points for the season with an 0-3 record. He finally squeaked out a win this week after posting his 2nd worst weekly score. He is now 2nd in the league for total points scored, one point behind the leader, and has a 1-3 record to show for it.

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    One guy in my 14 team league had the most total points for the season with an 0-3 record. He finally squeaked out a win this week after posting his 2nd worst weekly score. He is now 2nd in the league for total points scored, one point behind the leader, and has a 1-3 record to show for it.
    I had a season a couple of years ago in which I had the highest composite point total in the league and didn't make the playoffs. The guy who had the lowest composite point total wound up winning the championship.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I had a season a couple of years ago in which I had the highest composite point total in the league and didn't make the playoffs. The guy who had the lowest composite point total wound up winning the championship.
    My most up and down season was 2005. I lost twice when scoring over 100, 3 times to my opponents best point total of the year, and had 5 total losses by 13 points or fewer. Worst feeling loss was 120-131. I barely snuck into the playoffs as the #6 seed at 6-7, despite having the highest point total in the league and 200 more than the guy in first place. But luck was with me as I finally strung together some consistency and won the playoffs...
    "There can BE only one."

I don't know what to do with Asiata. I picked him up the second the Adrien Petersen story broke, which is probably the best move I've ever done in fantasy. He's been fantastic, but I'm a little worried that McKinnon had a breakout game last week - certainly Asiata isn't in danger of fading into irrelevance, but I wonder if it would be wise to see what I can get for him in a trade right now.

I went to bed last night after the KC-NE game with what I thought to be a .8 point win.

I woke up to a 2 point loss, due to a stat correction to Jeremy Maclin.

I had Calvin Johnson and Reggie Wayne as well. Guess which one I started?

While there is some skill involved in FF, there sure is a heckuva lot of luck.

I'm the lowest scorer in our league but am 3-1. Highest scorer is 1-3. Granted my matchups have been perfect.

ok...i'll admit that FF didn't get me....i understand very little of it. To an outside observer, having only small brushes with players, it seems to be a game of stats....pure, simple stats....

My question is, how do you folks find time to run down all the stats for each member of your team? and how do you actually compare them to the other's team stats??

y'all can just delete this post if it reminds you of a box of hair....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    ok...i'll admit that FF didn't get me....i understand very little of it. To an outside observer, having only small brushes with players, it seems to be a game of stats....pure, simple stats....

My question is, how do you folks find time to run down all the stats for each member of your team? and how do you actually compare them to the other's team stats??

y'all can just delete this post if it reminds you of a box of hair....
    ESPN, Yahoo, CBS Sports and countless other sites do it for you.
    I did calculate all the stats for a league amongst my friends in 7th grade 25 years ago. Had to wait for the box scores in the next days paper.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

I'm in need of some fantasy football advice. I probably could make this decision on my own normally but I have a biase opinion in this trade.

I give up Aaron Rodgers and Ahmad Bradshaw but in return I get Andrew Luck.

We start 2 runningbacks I usually start Lynch and Ellington (Bradshaw and CJ2K are backups as well as Brandon Oliver). Rodgers has had two great games and two bad so far, Luck is number 1 by a good bit but am I giving up to much.

14 team league btw with normal scoring

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I'm in need of some fantasy football advice. I probably could make this decision on my own normally but I have a biase opinion in this trade.

We start 2 runningbacks I usually start Lynch and Ellington (Bradshaw and CJ2K are backups as well as Brandon Oliver). Rodgers has had two great games and two bad so far, Luck is number 1 by a good bit but am I giving up to much.

I think that is too much to give up for Luck. Luck has been by far better than Rodgers so far but I expect that to even out over the rest of the season to where they are pretty similar. IMO, you are basically giving up Bradshaw (do you have a FLEX position where you could play him) for little to no upgrade. With Ellington's foot making him a greater-than-normal injury risk I would also keep Bradshaw as I see him well above your other 2 backup RBs in CJ2K and Oliver. In a 14 team league there probably isn't much out there either.

However, as a Packer fan and Bradshaw owner I might be slightly biased too

If you have 6 running backs on your team, then yes, I would trade.
    ~rthomas

If this was a keeper league I would say yes. Otherwise I don't see Luck as being much of an upgrade over Rodgers as tbyers pointed out. So if you want to make a trade, I would look to see if I could upgrade somewhere else. Can he give you a decent WR/TE/Def to even it out? Or if you don't need help at those positions you can hold what you have so that you have depth for byes and injuries.

Since obviously most people on this thread play fantasy football, I have a question. I played a couple years, then quit 7 or 8 years ago when I found myself cheering when the Cowboys scored a touchdown on a pass to Jason Witten. See, Witten was my tight end on my fantasy football team, and his touchdown, and the points it gave me, helped secure a win in the fantasy football game that week. A big deal, as I was in contention for the playoffs. I know, huge, right? Well, I grew up in Silver Springs, Md, a huge Redskins fan, which, of course, makes me a huge Cowboys hater. So, in the middle of cheering on that Jason Witten touchdown, I realized I was, in fact, cheering on a Cowboys touchdown in a game in which the touchdown could end up giving Dallas a win.

I felt dirty. Ashamed. Unclean. This kind of unacceptable situation is why I always put Duke as champion of an NCAA bracket, and I always pick Carolina to lose no later than the round of 32. No matter how unrealistic either of those options are. I don't want one tiny part of my soul tainted by any feeling of relief or joy if Carolina wins when a loss would have decimated my bracket.

Is cheering on the Cowboys violating my fan integrity to the same degree as being happy about a Carolina win? No. But it's still violating my fan integrity.

So I dropped fantasy football and I've never gone back.

How do you all handle the fan-conflict? Just avoid taking any player from a team you hate? Take the player and reconcile the conflict with your fan soul (ie: I hope witten scores the touchdown but Dallas still finds a way to lose)?

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Since obviously most people on this thread play fantasy football, I have a question. I played a couple years, then quit 7 or 8 years ago when I found myself cheering when the Cowboys scored a touchdown on a pass to Jason Witten. See, Witten was my tight end on my fantasy football team, and his touchdown, and the points it gave me, helped secure a win in the fantasy football game that week. A big deal, as I was in contention for the playoffs. I know, huge, right? Well, I grew up in Silver Springs, Md, a huge Redskins fan, which, of course, makes me a huge Cowboys hater. So, in the middle of cheering on that Jason Witten touchdown, I realized I was, in fact, cheering on a Cowboys touchdown in a game in which the touchdown could end up giving Dallas a win.

I felt dirty. Ashamed. Unclean. This kind of unacceptable situation is why I always put Duke as champion of an NCAA bracket, and I always pick Carolina to lose no later than the round of 32. No matter how unrealistic either of those options are. I don't want one tiny part of my soul tainted by any feeling of relief or joy if Carolina wins when a loss would have decimated my bracket.

Is cheering on the Cowboys violating my fan integrity to the same degree as being happy about a Carolina win? No. But it's still violating my fan integrity.

How do you all handle the fan-conflict? Just avoid taking any player from a team you hate? Take the player and reconcile the conflict with your fan soul (ie: I hope witten scores the touchdown but Dallas still finds a way to lose)?
    It's never been much of an issue for me. I am a Giants fan and I don't really hate any team. There are teams I dislike. I will knock a player down a couple spots in the draft for that reason but I don't avoid them all together. If they do well I think, eh, at least they helped my fantasy team. Plus the fantasy season only entails the regular season. If it went into the playoffs I think it may be more of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    I think that is too much to give up for Luck. Luck has been by far better than Rodgers so far but I expect that to even out over the rest of the season to where they are pretty similar. IMO, you are basically giving up Bradshaw (do you have a FLEX position where you could play him) for little to no upgrade. With Ellington's foot making him a greater-than-normal injury risk I would also keep Bradshaw as I see him well above your other 2 backup RBs in CJ2K and Oliver. In a 14 team league there probably isn't much out there either.

However, as a Packer fan and Bradshaw owner I might be slightly biased too
    I am not a fan of starting a RB in the flex. I'd rather start a 2nd qb (Flacco right now)

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post

I take the player. The team I root for is my team. Sure I want to do well in fantasy football or baseball, but for me that's secondary and I can separate it.

I am not a fan of starting a RB in the flex. I'd rather start a 2nd qb (Flacco right now)
    Most leagues only allow RB/WR/TE in the flex position. If I was allowed to start a QB in that spot I would too. I see how this could make a 3rd RB less valuable, but I still don't think I would do the trade.