Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

MBB: Pre-season 2014-15 Thread

I just saw this picture that Sean Obi posted, and it got me all jacked up for the upcoming season.

duke squad.jpg

I didn't really know what thread to put it in, so I just made this thread, since I figure we'll probably need one sooner or later.

I'd just like to comment that Amile looks HUGE, just look at those beefy arms. I think he's going to have a monster year. If there were an ACC fantasy college basketball game, I'd pick Amile as my 5th round pick as a sleeper with early 2nd round value. Also, Rasheed looks like he shrunk . . . he looks scrawnier than Tyus Jones. I was hoping he'd come back stronger, so he can improve his finishing ability around the hoop, but he looks about the same as he did as a freshman.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I just saw this picture that Sean Obi posted, and it got me all jacked up for the upcoming season.

duke squad.jpg

I didn't really know what thread to put it in, so I just made this thread, since I figure we'll probably need one sooner or later.

I'd just like to comment that Amile looks HUGE, just look at those beefy arms. I think he's going to have a monster year. If there were an ACC fantasy college basketball game, I'd pick Amile as my 5th round pick as a sleeper with early 2nd round value. Also, Rasheed looks like he shrunk . . . he looks scrawnier than Tyus Jones. I was hoping he'd come back stronger, so he can improve his finishing ability around the hoop, but he looks about the same as he did as a freshman.
    You're basing your (lack of) confidence in Rasheed based on one picture where he's sitting down? It's possible he is slouching a bit. It's possible Tyus is leaning forward and a bit in front of him. It's possible he simply has his muscles relaxed and his arms aren't pulled forward as much. In any event, you're really reaching trying to derive much insight based on a picture like this that's so far away and half the players are seated and blocking the guys in the back. But I do appreciate the post and the pic!

duke squad.jpg

In order for Jefferson and Plumlee 3 to gain body mass, Rasheed agreed to let them eat parts of him. Yes, Rasheed has lost some height, but it really does look better on Amile's shoulders.

But on a sad note, the coaching staff still does not believe Rasheed has been a good enough teammate to become a team captain.

I have heard that should the team plane crash into a mountain, Rasheed will do the right thing.

Please tell me *someone* has finally done the math on a conversion rate from cinder blocks to bluestone.

Quinn's eyes are closed, right? They couldn't find a single team picture in which he was awake?

Quote Originally Posted by Des Esseintes View Post
    Quinn's eyes are closed, right? They couldn't find a single team picture in which he was awake?
    He's using the Force this year. Your eyes can deceive you.

duke squad.jpg

My first thought upon looking at this picture also was - Amile is jacked! We should be a very strong rebounding team this year. Regarding Rasheed, remember last year there were reports about him not being in shape to start the season - maybe he's been focused on his cardiovascular fitness and comes into the season leaner, quicker and more explosive. This could also be a great thing.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

duke squad.jpg

I'd just like to comment that Amile looks HUGE, just look at those beefy arms
    Wow, look at the size on that back row. Coach Cut wouldn't mind having some of these guys as pass rushers or blockers.

Unfortunate in a way that the college game has become more physical, but it's nice to see that Duke will not be pushed around. Clemson, Virginia, Pitt, and others were visibly stronger than Duke last year; shouldn't be an issue this season.

Who needs cinder blocks for measurement when you can use stacked stone and Gothic arches?

Lot of interesting comparisons in assessing size from that picture, but one of the most striking is seeing how small Coach K looks compared to that back row.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Wow, look at the size on that back row. Coach Cut wouldn't mind having some of these guys as pass rushers or blockers.

Unfortunate in a way that the college game has become more physical, but it's nice to see that Duke will not be pushed around. Clemson, Virginia, Pitt, and others were visibly stronger than Duke last year; shouldn't be an issue this season.
    Exactly is it just me or does Obi look almost as big as Okafor? I know it's a red shirt year and Okafor is likely gone but man he is a big boy!! Semi is no slouch either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrassdevil1 View Post
    In order for Jefferson and Plumlee 3 to gain body mass, Rasheed agreed to let them eat parts of him. Yes, Rasheed has lost some height, but it really does look better on Amile's shoulders.

But on a sad note, the coaching staff still does not believe Rasheed has been a good enough teammate to become a team captain.

I have heard that should the team plane crash into a mountain, Rasheed will do the right thing.
    ? How do you know this? Have the team captains been announced? (I can't find any indication on goduke.com or elsewhere that they have.) I'm assuming Quinn is holding the ball here as the only senior--but that doesn't necessarily mean he will be the only captain. For that matter, it doesn't necessarily mean he will be a captain (though I suspect he will).

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    My first thought upon looking at this picture also was - Amile is jacked! We should be a very strong rebounding team this year. Regarding Rasheed, remember last year there were reports about him not being in shape to start the season - maybe he's been focused on his cardiovascular fitness and comes into the season leaner, quicker and more explosive. This could also be a great thing.
    Agreed. And it also looks to me like he has some pretty serious arm muscle, even if he isn't beefy (so do Quinn and Matt).

I'm really looking forward to this season. I'm particularly interested in:

1. The freshmen;

2. Point guard. How does K balance time between Cook and Tyus? Can they play together?

3. The low post. I think Okafor will be very good offensively. Can K coach a good big man? (just kidding) In an offense that has been guard or point oriented in recent years, how will this offense look"

4. Sulaimon. I can't predict how he does this year. Lot's of talent and seems to be a good kid.

5. Will Matt Jones get more playing time? Can he hit his shots?

Finally, I have third row seats for the game at Louisville. One of my long time attorney friends has lived in Colorado for 28 years but maintained his Louisville season tickets. I think I'm buying lots of beers for my friend and his group but I'm ready for this.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    5. Will Matt Jones get more playing time? Can he hit his shots?
    Looking at our available personnel, Matt Jones is likely to be no better than our 8th man. He played 7 mpg last season, maybe he'll play 10mpg this season? Maybe not that much?

I know some people think Quinn might drop out of the rotation, and others are skeptical of assuming Justise will be in the top 7, but I have a hard time seeing either of those guys dropping below Matt in the rotation. Barring injuries we'll have a very deep team, and unfortunately that argues against big minutes for Matt, Semi, and Grayson, even though they all may be good enough to deserve those minutes under normal circumstances.

Ah, the first serious PT prognostications of the new season. The tradition continues...
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Ah, the first serious PT prognostications of the new season. The tradition continues...
    I just hope they all improved their diet this offseason

Big question for me is defense - can we stay in front of our men to avoid having our defense bend as much as it did last year?

On the offensive side - what will our floor spacing look like?

Not an expert here, but amateur googling shows that Tyus can shoot but struggles w/ consistency, and that Justise doesn't have the range that Rodney did. While Jabari wasn't lights out from deep, defenses respected him to some extent at the 4. Can Amile hit J's well enough (Even out to the elbows) to give our guys room to maneuver?

Can't wait to get going this year will be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Looking at our available personnel, Matt Jones is likely to be no better than our 8th man. He played 7 mpg last season, maybe he'll play 10mpg this season? Maybe not that much?

I know some people think Quinn might drop out of the rotation, and others are skeptical of assuming Justise will be in the top 7, but I have a hard time seeing either of those guys dropping below Matt in the rotation. Barring injuries we'll have a very deep team, and unfortunately that argues against big minutes for Matt, Semi, and Grayson, even though they all may be good enough to deserve those minutes under normal circumstances.
    I hope that whoever is on the floor, the first 10 minutes are so dominating that Matt, Semi, and Grayson are all playing 30 minutes a game.

Quote Originally Posted by oakvillebluedevil View Post

Big question for me is defense - can we stay in front of our men to avoid having our defense bend as much as it did last year?

Not an expert here, but amateur googling shows that Tyus can shoot but struggles w/ consistency, and that Justise doesn't have the range that Rodney did. While Jabari wasn't lights out from deep, defenses respected him to some extent at the 4. Can Amile hit J's well enough (Even out to the elbows) to give our guys room to maneuver?

Couldn't spork you but kudos on the hilarious reference to the awful diet thread from last year.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by oakvillebluedevil View Post

Totes. Sources say they have been eating enough protein the last few months to avoid another first round exit from the tournament.

Hi, can anyone predict the 2014-2015 NC for me if the pre-season pics are indicators of the future performance?